Stax Sr507 issue
May 31, 2013 at 3:43 PM Post #16 of 20
Have had a tremendous week of 29'c-I guess like 85'F and that is top notch summer in Scandinavia-so not much Stax usage. Have however dropped down in the basement and is currently listening to the rig. I hit pause and just push each side and - yes I have a , well sound in each. The right is however much more distinct where the left is much more muffled and quiet than the other.
So I guess I'm a victim of the fart syndrom as well then :frowning2:
Have a great weekend Head Fi'ers

Mar 24, 2016 at 4:44 AM Post #18 of 20
Hi !

Go easy on me as I'm a newbie here. smily_headphones1.gif
I Have a pair of Stax SR507's running off a Stax SRM 310 (I know...but all I can afford at the mo').
The sound quality is actually really good...initially.....but after about 20 mins or so of playing music the left channel distorts!
Has anyone any Idea what the problem may be or how I could narrow down to either Headphones or Amp
that is causing the problem.
I only have one set of Stax Phones and One Stax Amp and don't know anyone else in the area that owns
Stax equipment to test against.

Thanks and regards,

Frank

May 14, 2016 at 5:14 PM Post #19 of 20
Hi !

Go easy on me as I'm a newbie here. smily_headphones1.gif
I Have a pair of Stax SR507's running off a Stax SRM 310 (I know...but all I can afford at the mo').
The sound quality is actually really good...initially.....but after about 20 mins or so of playing music the left channel distorts!
Has anyone any Idea what the problem may be or how I could narrow down to either Headphones or Amp
that is causing the problem.
I only have one set of Stax Phones and One Stax Amp and don't know anyone else in the area that owns
Stax equipment to test against.

Thanks and regards,

Frank

Hello Frank, we are mostly a generous crowd here. Welcome to the asylum.   Do you have big ears?  
If you are hearing harsh distortion with head motion or with adjusting the position of your 507's, you may be experiencing the "stax fart" phenomenon.  Put that into the search function and see if that is it.  I have found it to be more common with my 507's.  It is an adaptable problem.   

May 15, 2016 at 8:00 AM Post #20 of 20
If it's not the Stax fart, it could also be a cable connection issue. Try if you can induce the distortion by gently moving the cable around while listening.

Furthermore, to rule out your source, try to swap the left and right channels at the inputs of your amp. If the distortion changes sides, it's your source. It's unlikely that it is, but it can't hurt to try.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back