Stax SR-X9000
Oct 12, 2021 at 12:12 PM Post #166 of 3,068
People had very little idea about the X9000's arrival, so a new amp could follow in a similar fashion in a few years' time. They can wait and see how well it is selling.
They got bankrupt (first) in the 90's, partly because they were marking very expensive products that had no market, now it could be different.

Oct 12, 2021 at 12:24 PM Post #167 of 3,068
agree and my 2 cents is "the x9k was made for the t8000" is marketing blob even if said by a high profile director. It s not like it'd be smart for any brand to say otherwise if there is no announced upgrade to their flagship amp
this and I can't help but wonder the numbers choice (8000 for amp, 9000 for hp) :thinking:

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:20 PM Post #168 of 3,068
Doesn't seem like anybody has the capacity to build KGSSHVs, Blue Hawaii's and the like at anything like an industrial scale. They're artesian products.

That is true, yet I don't think this market really needs industrial scale, we are fine with the niche market, especially when upper end Stax prices are close to those artisan products price range, while the latter being far better designs and builds. On the other end, one can also get cheaper and still very musical energizers, even though from technical pov they got busted by the Mafia in the past, but then so were most of the cheaper Stax amps.

The BHSE is indeed my neutral reference, the Phenomenon amp (a Carbon version) is the dynamic and sound stage king (so far my favorite, but not available any more), Erik Konka (*) amps are the value kings in the EU (sound a tad warmer than the BHSE but provide similar enjoyment). FWIW, I didn't like the T8000 with any Stax headphones, though.

(*) Contrary to some prior bad press here, Erik Konka is a professional, giving lectures too, and the amps are good - with newer designs coming out soon. Of course one can play safe and get Mjolnir stuff, especially if the X9K is considered (i.e. price is likely less of a problem). Established brands provide more safety for long term stability of their products, an essential requirement for e-stats. Disclaimer: no affiliations and no conflicts of interest for the products/brands listed.

Oct 12, 2021 at 3:45 PM Post #169 of 3,068
Is the X9000 more efficient than the 007 MkII?

Moon Audio Stay updated on Moon Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/MoonAudio/ https://twitter.com/MoonAudio https://instagram.com/moonaudio https://www.moon-audio.com/ https://www.youtube.com/@moon-audio sales@moon-audio.com
Oct 12, 2021 at 4:18 PM Post #170 of 3,068
That is true, yet I don't think this market really needs industrial scale, we are fine with the niche market, especially when upper end Stax prices are close to those artisan products price range, while the latter being far better designs and builds. On the other end, one can also get cheaper and still very musical energizers, even though from technical pov they got busted by the Mafia in the past, but then so were most of the cheaper Stax amps.
Well, "industrial scale" is relative.

Say the Audeze Carbon sells 12 units a week, worldwide. That doesn't seem crazy to me, but I'm just guessing. That's 600 a year.

Say 2/3s of the buyers already have a KGSS+ quality e-stat amp of some type, because they're already well-vested in Stax universe. (And I'm thinking, admittedly based on not much, that the Stax 8000 isn't quite at that level.) That means every year for the next 2-3 years, the world needs 200 more KGSS+ quality amps to be built.

I don't have any data, but I would be very surprised if the current production of Blue Hawaii's and KGSS+ is 200 units per year. I'd guess probably more like 50+50.

So we need output to double or triple on an annual basis, and that's not factoring in people who're buying the SRX-9000, or any of the less well-known brands of e-stats, and want an amp to match.

And I don't think the community of builders has that kind of surge capacity.

Oct 12, 2021 at 4:33 PM Post #171 of 3,068
Well, "industrial scale" is relative.

Say the Audeze Carbon sells 12 units a week, worldwide. That doesn't seem crazy to me, but I'm just guessing. That's 600 a year.

Say 2/3s of the buyers already have a KGSS+ quality e-stat amp of some type, because they're already well-vested in Stax universe. (And I'm thinking, admittedly based on not much, that the Stax 8000 isn't quite at that level.) That means every year for the next 2-3 years, the world needs 200 more KGSS+ quality amps to be built.

I don't have any data, but I would be very surprised if the current production of Blue Hawaii's and KGSS+ is 200 units per year. I'd guess probably more like 50+50.

So we need output to double or triple on an annual basis, and that's not factoring in people who're buying the SRX-9000, or any of the less well-known brands of e-stats, and want an amp to match.

And I don't think the community of builders has that kind of surge capacity.
When I ordered my BHSE about a decade ago now the order to delivery time was over 15 months.. What is it today?

Oct 12, 2021 at 5:12 PM Post #172 of 3,068
I don’t want to pour oil on fire with the mad speculation and counter analyses but, fwiw, when I told the sales director I really did not feel the t8000 was up to snuff with the x9000, he did not raise an eyebrow but smilingly mentioned something along the lines « it’s a never ending battle as new transducer improvement calls for driver improvement calling for transducer improvement … »

We actually discussed the DIY situation (Stax is surprisingly well aware of the commercial landscape, competitor estat products or otherwise, more so than we assume when we think Stax develops in a vacuum). It’s a well known fact there’s a lot of value in the parallel estat amp market with a direct sale to consumer, no way Stax will ever be able to compete there, and little edifier can help with I feel. Not to say we won’t see an amp upgrade in 2 years time but there appears to be a glass ceiling when it comes to how much power (with ccs and all) Stax can reasonably put into their drive units.

Oct 12, 2021 at 8:42 PM Post #173 of 3,068
« it’s a never ending battle as new transducer improvement calls for driver improvement calling for transducer improvement … »
that's what I would expect to hear in the launch of the 9k, that boundaries for development were pushed higher , etc. I mean, it's not like there will never be a new flagship amp , is a matter of when
(Stax is surprisingly well aware of the commercial landscape, competitor estat products or otherwise, more so than we assume when we think Stax develops in a vacuum).
Thank you for the insightful comments. Just a single phrase but sth I always wondered about.

Oct 12, 2021 at 11:35 PM Post #174 of 3,068
Thanks for these impressions. For the most part, everything sounds about where any stax/009 fan could hope for it to be. The only thing I keep seeing that's a bit concerning is that it "places you further back in the presentation". I've seen that a couple times now.

Are we essentially saying that the midrange is recessed? Knowing Stax, I would assume that's not the case and that maybe I'm just misinterpreting?

The midrange was not recessed, overall its close to the SR-009S in tonality. In fact I would consider the midrange and treble as the strengths of the SR-X9000. Personally I have little tolerance for headphones with a recessed midrange and find them fatiguing to listen to.

Oct 13, 2021 at 12:16 AM Post #175 of 3,068
My cheat sheet of approximate amp ratings (multiple sources including old post from KG - please let me know if any of the data is off).
I am not sure if nominal output is the only factor in perceived adequacy vs SR-X9000 ... (ratings peak to peak + using formula provided by Spritzer some time ago to convert p2p = Vrms * 1.41 * 2

Woo 3ES - 4230V p2p (1500 Vrms spec *1.41*2)
Stax T2, DIY T2 - 2000V p2p
KGSSHV - 1800V p2p
BHSE - 1600V p2p
KGSS,Stax T1,T1s,T1W,313,323,717,727 - 1400V p2p
T8000 - 1316V p2p (470 Vrms spec * 1.41 *2)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 12:35 AM Post #176 of 3,068
My cheat sheet of approximate amp ratings (multiple sources including old post from KG - please let me know if any of the data is off).
I am not sure if nominal output is the only factor in perceived adequacy vs SR-X9000 ... Have 3ES on order (together with the SR-X9000) and will report if underpowered (slightly scared now):

Stax T2, DIY T2 - 2000V
KGSSHV - 1800V
BHSE, T8000 - 1600V
Woo 3ES - 1500V
KGSS,Stax T1,T1s,T1W,313,323,717,727 - 1400V
T8000 - 1300V

I recall it’s a little more involved than just Vsspp, there are old posts discussing current capability, relation to slew rate (affecting the max frequency that can be played back at given volume), use of constant current sources etc.

Bottom line is that a direct drive (no transformer) high power estat amp is big, heavy, and eventually expensive…

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:21 AM Post #177 of 3,068
I recall it’s a little more involved than just Vsspp, there are old posts discussing current capability, relation to slew rate (affecting the max frequency that can be played back at given volume), use of constant current sources etc.

Bottom line is that a direct drive (no transformer) high power estat amp is big, heavy, and eventually expensive…
Yes - eager to hear more real world feedback as we will hopefully all be soon listening to our SR-X9000 / amp combinations. please note I corrected (tried to?) the vrms vs. p2p power measures. As all of this is "found on the internet" please take with a huge grain of salt.

Oct 13, 2021 at 1:28 AM Post #178 of 3,068
The midrange was not recessed, overall its close to the SR-009S in tonality. In fact I would consider the midrange and treble as the strengths of the SR-X9000. Personally I have little tolerance for headphones with a recessed midrange and find them fatiguing to listen to.

Really appreciate the response. I also have low tolerance for significant midrange recession, hence why I was curious. Again, thanks for the response. :)

Oct 13, 2021 at 2:14 AM Post #179 of 3,068
I am not sure if nominal output is the only factor in perceived adequacy vs SR-X9000 ... (ratings peak to peak + using formula provided by Spritzer some time ago to convert p2p = Vrms * 1.41 * 2

Woo 3ES - 4230V p2p (1500 Vrms spec *1.41*2)
3ES is 1500V p2p

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2021 at 2:28 AM Post #180 of 3,068
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back