Stax SR-X1 (new entry model)
Apr 26, 2024 at 1:50 PM Post #61 of 75
I think it’ll depend on a few factors. From what I’ve heard the frequency response may be more “modern” if that means anything so to some people they may prefer it. Either way the l700 has a scooped out 2k-4k or something around that which may cause some to attribute it to soundstage which can be enjoyable. It’s a personal preference thing I’d say.

I know not everyone likes EQ but when the X1 gets measured you’ll be able to compare it to the l700 and get a general idea of whether or not you view it as an upgrade

Apr 26, 2024 at 4:54 PM Post #62 of 75
HeadAmp Stay updated on HeadAmp at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/HeadAmp https://twitter.com/HeadAmp https://www.instagram.com/headamp/ https://www.headamp.com/ sales@headamp.com
May 2, 2024 at 2:29 AM Post #63 of 75
I wouldn't draw any conclusions based on price. Price is not always correlated to performance, and this is doubly true for Stax.

What I'm wondering about are the conflicting reports we've heard on these, with the first few impressions being of a dark headphone but the last few sets of impressions describing these as a bit bright. I wonder if Stax changed something in the voicing of their prototypes or if it's just differences in hearing. I'll guess we'll know soon enough.

May 2, 2024 at 5:38 AM Post #64 of 75
Well it would be quite odd to me, if they suddenly came out with a headphone that I would really love, and it would happen to be their cheapest.
I could pre-order it, I just expect it to be popular at this price range, so it will inevitably pop up in the used section or I may just opt to visit the distributor.

If I use most Lambdas with a Stax amp, they will sound bright. Put them on a powerful amplifier, and the perception changes somewhat - but it is also debatable how realistic it is to have one of those, yet use a way more expensive amp to drive it. If I was only used to the sound of Stax amps, I might not describe it as bright.
So all is relative.

May 4, 2024 at 9:00 AM Post #66 of 75
Very interested in these.

May 5, 2024 at 9:25 PM Post #68 of 75
Somehow these have wound up being $1100 AUD in Australia...
Going to go and take a chance on an eBay import from Japan instead I think once they start becoming more readily available.
Very excited to hear everyone's reviews on them!
I did ask about this as well and it is because the distributor is being annoying and does not want to bring the gear in so charges a premium for them. It is not the retailers fault on this one

May 6, 2024 at 12:50 AM Post #69 of 75
I did ask about this as well and it is because the distributor is being annoying and does not want to bring the gear in so charges a premium for them. It is not the retailers fault on this one
Good to know, thanks for the followup. Really a pity as they don't really match up well at that price point. Second hand market you can nab SR-L700's for near that..
Of course they may be mind blowing and still be killer at that price, but I shall be holding off until reviews come through either way.

May 8, 2024 at 6:16 AM Post #70 of 75
I just got the notification that it's shipped. Should arrive tomorrow.
This will be my first electrostatic headphone.

I asked STAX staff at headphone festival in Tokyo two weeks ago. He said that they already made about 600 SR-X1. Currently there are no stock left at both e-earphone and fujiya avic but Yodobashi camera and multimedia still have some left, since they still accepting some pre-order today.

Last edited:
May 8, 2024 at 7:03 AM Post #71 of 75
I just go the notification that it's shipped. Should arrive tomorrow.
This will be my first electrostatic headphone.

I asked STAX staff at headphone festival in Tokyo two weeks ago. He said that they already made about 600 SR-X1. Currently there are no stock left at both e-earphone and fujiya avic but Yodobashi camera and multimedia still have some left, since they still accepting some pre-order today.
Cool, congratulation on getting your first estat!
And looking forward to your review!

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:11 AM Post #72 of 75
IMG_1665.jpg

I paired it with STAX SRM-006tA and also A/B listening with Sony MDR-Z1R with Analog Squared Paper TU-05Desktop tube amp. DAC is S.M.S.L D300. Here is my initial impression.

The body is very light. Much lighter than my MDR-Z1R. The arc and head band are made from metal but the outer shell is probably made from plastic.

First thing that I notice right away is the lack of bass quantity. The bass details are very good but kind of low on the quantity. Mid and high are very clean without any sibilance at very high range. Instrument separation is excellent. Sound stage is a bit narrow and flat.

Comparing to my MRD-Z1R, SR-X1 is definitely brighter and warmer. However, I had a chance to listen on my friend SR-Ω last year and SR-X1 is definitely darker.

Last edited:
May 9, 2024 at 8:43 AM Post #73 of 75
IMG_1665.jpg

I paired it with STAX SRM-006tA and also A/B listening with Sony MDR-Z1R with Analog Squared Paper TU-05Desktop tube amp. DAC is S.M.S.L D300. Here is my initial impression.

The body is very light. Much lighter than my MDR-Z1R. The arc and head band are made from metal but the outer shell is probably made from plastic.

First thing that I notice right away is the lack of bass quantity. The bass details are very good but kind of low on the quantity. Mid and high are very clean without any sibilance at very high range. Instrument separation is excellent. Sound stage is a bit narrow and flat.

Comparing to my MRD-Z1R, SR-X1 is definitely brighter and warmer. However, I had a chance to listen on my friend SR-Ω last year and SR-X1 is definitely darker.
Hi thanks for your impressions, do you have any direct comparisons against other Stax please?

May 9, 2024 at 8:56 AM Post #74 of 75
Hi thanks for your impressions, do you have any direct comparisons against other Stax please?
It's my first pair of estat headphone. However, I had tried my friend STAX SR-Ω a year ago. From my distant memory, sound stage wise, SR-Ω is wider and have a depth to it. SR-Ω mid have a lot more details. High is also better too. I think SR-X1 have a tad better bass but all STAX headphone do not excel in bass.

May 9, 2024 at 2:16 PM Post #75 of 75
Well it would be quite odd to me, if they suddenly came out with a headphone that I would really love, and it would happen to be their cheapest.
I could pre-order it, I just expect it to be popular at this price range, so it will inevitably pop up in the used section or I may just opt to visit the distributor.

If I use most Lambdas with a Stax amp, they will sound bright. Put them on a powerful amplifier, and the perception changes somewhat - but it is also debatable how realistic it is to have one of those, yet use a way more expensive amp to drive it. If I was only used to the sound of Stax amps, I might not describe it as bright.
So all is relative.
I've never wanted to pre-order something more in my entire life but I just know it's going to be all over used sites in record time. Or if anything I'll wait for a trip to Japan and get it at a discount just because of the USD - Yen conversion rates, which I don't see changing any time soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back