Stax SR-X MK3: Unlocking the bass
Jul 6, 2008 at 6:21 PM Post #16 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by vvanrij /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Has anyone tried adding bass eq using their Amp/Receiver ? Or will this mess up the SQ?

I have. It worked alright for me; there's certainly no harm in trying it.

I got better results using software EQ, as I was able to tailor the response curve to my ear and preferences, but if your hardware EQ is very flexible it might work just as well. The question of EQ also depends on what you're listening to; with some recordings the SR-X sounded better with little or no added bass.

I -really- liked the results I got just by using an amp with naturally strong bass -- in my case, a Nuforce Icon. That was some sweet bass, if still not as deep as I would ideally like.

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:30 PM Post #17 of 29
why not use the expensive software to find what EQ you need and then make a hardware filter that approximates that bass boost? it would only be a few $££$$ worth of parts and would be usable with non computer sources. IT would go in between the source and amp.

Jul 6, 2008 at 6:37 PM Post #18 of 29
You mean a normal hardware eq?

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:09 PM Post #19 of 29
Quote:

Originally Posted by pdennis /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I -really- liked the results I got just by using an amp with naturally strong bass -- in my case, a Nuforce Icon. That was some sweet bass, if still not as deep as I would ideally like.

I read before about people saying that combining it with the Nuforce Icon gave great results, but I figured it was a really expensive amp. Its actually pretty cheap, but that also brings the question, is this really better than my normal speaker amp??

Jul 6, 2008 at 7:15 PM Post #20 of 29
Jul 7, 2008 at 6:40 AM Post #22 of 29
Quote:

I read before about people saying that combining it with the Nuforce Icon gave great results, but I figured it was a really expensive amp. Its actually pretty cheap, but that also brings the question, is this really better than my normal speaker amp??

It's a very new product, so you won't get a whole lot of unbiased opinions on this. All I can say is that I'm very happy with mine, and I think it's a great deal and works well with the SR-X.

The biggest complaint I have about it is that the built in USB DAC has a rather low output, but if you use the RCA inputs from a 2vrms source it has plenty of go.

Others will tell you that tube amps are they way to go with the SR-X. Sounds like a good idea to me, but I've never tried it so I can't say.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #23 of 29
How do you connect the icon to the srd7?? I looked at it, and it only had some weird ethernet->banana plug's out of the speaker-out.
And has anyone connected a normal headphone/preamp to a srd-7? Like my LD MKIVse, or a Woo or anything, they only have headphone and rca outs, and I don't think they have enough power, but still was wondering if anyone ever tried it
smily_headphones1.gif

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:07 AM Post #24 of 29
Ok got a great great one now! I use foobar2000 with the correct settings (was some wiki page about that, so you get best SQ), and yohng's vst plugin, so I can use vst's in foobar! And for the EQ I use the Genwave|EQ which my friend recommended (Genwave) its really good!

Jul 7, 2008 at 4:12 PM Post #25 of 29
Yea that Genwave|EQ was exactly what I needed, it really sounds amazing. You should try listen to

Joop - Prominent

Its a anthemic-trance track, but a very special one, even if you hate trance, you really should listen to it once
biggrin.gif
. Anyway, I have the perfect bass now, accurate and present.

Jul 7, 2008 at 5:52 PM Post #26 of 29
Quote:

Ok got a great great one now! I use foobar2000 with the correct settings (was some wiki page about that, so you get best SQ), and yohng's vst plugin, so I can use vst's in foobar! And for the EQ I use the Genwave|EQ which my friend recommended (Genwave) its really good!

The Genwave EQ looks interesting, but how did you get it? It looks like they screen even their trial download requests, and there's no online purchasing right now.

Re: the SRD-7 and the Icon, you just have to be creative, there are several solutions. Re: the SRD-7 and headphone amps, don't bother.

Jul 7, 2008 at 7:17 PM Post #27 of 29
I got it from a friend of mine who is into the studio/mixing stuff. He said you can get a demo online (free), but that it is pretty expensive to buy. I got it from him, so I don't know what it costs. It sounds amazing though. I'm gonna borrow/try-out a NAD system to which I'm gonna connect the SRD-7/SR-X.

Nov 9, 2020 at 3:15 AM Post #28 of 29
I recently aquired a pair of srx mk3 and what I found most effective to make the bass impact greater was to normalize the sound. It really made a huge difference and I can easyli hear the sustained low note in also sprach zarathustra. I'm not really an expert on sound or anything so please correct me if this approach is bad but it definitely made the bass stand out much more.

Last edited:
Nov 13, 2020 at 8:49 AM Post #29 of 29
I recently aquired a pair of srx mk3 and what I found most effective to make the bass impact greater was to normalize the sound. It really made a huge difference and I can easyli hear the sustained low note in also sprach zarathustra. I'm not really an expert on sound or anything so please correct me if this approach is bad but it definitely made the bass stand out much more.
Also tried with an equalizer and now my srx sound amazing (more than they did already)! The original poster suggested using a really expensive equalizer (perhaps there wasn't free options available back then which I'm too young to know) - since I am using my pc to play music from I tried using a program called "Equalizer APO" along with "Peace equalizer" which is a gui for equalizer APO. I had to boost everything below 333 Hz for them to not sound tinny to me, I particularly noticed a difference when playing music like metallica. I would like to add however that it does not always make them sound better but for bassier music it works well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back