STAX SR-Gamma Earspeakers
Oct 1, 2010 at 6:27 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 11

eggontoast

Head-Fier
I have been using a pair of Beyerdynamics DT770 Pro headphones for the last 6 months or so and have become increasingly unhappy with the performance of them.

I have been reading about STAX headphones for some time but was unable to demo any as there are no dealers near me. Anyway I took the plunge and purchased a used pair of SR-Gamma's with a SRD-6SB energiser to get started with a relatively small amount of money.

They haven't arrived yet but I was wondering are these a good starting place that will give me a good idea of STAX headphones performance or are they considered toilet ?

Oct 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #3 of 11
Never heard one myself, but have happily owned SR-X/MK3 which share drivers with the SR-Gamma.
Based on that I say that they are most certainly a nice entry into the world of Staxen. They are blazing fast and with a beautiful midrange. Do not expect a lot of bass extension, but be assured that there are numerous electrostatics that does.

When they arrive - share your impressions with us.  
o2smile.gif

Oct 1, 2010 at 6:48 PM Post #4 of 11
Coming from the DT770 you will probably think they are bass shy, which they kinda are, but not so much that you really miss the bass. They do not have near the soundstage of the larger or more expensive Staxen, not to say they are lacking in soundstage by any means, but they are very intimate. 

Out of a good source and amp they sound absolutley fantastic. They are good enough (at least to me) that I left this site for almost 2 years. The only reason i am even back on the site is to sell my Stax SR-202 since I pretty much stopped using the 202's since i got my Gammas

Oct 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM Post #5 of 11

Quote:
Coming from the DT770 you will probably think they are bass shy, which they kinda are, but not so much that you really miss the bass. They do not have near the soundstage of the larger or more expensive Staxen, not to say they are lacking in soundstage by any means, but they are very intimate. 

They are bass anemic actually, i think it also depends on the source you have.
Post your impressions once you get them. 

Oct 2, 2010 at 12:39 PM Post #6 of 11
I will post my impression when I get them.

I am starting to get a bit worried with all this talk of bass annemia I do like a good 'bottom end'......lol, probably not the best description but you know what I mean
wink.gif

Just for a matter of interest which of the Stax range do have good bass extension ?

Oct 2, 2010 at 2:44 PM Post #8 of 11
I disagree with bass anemia, although I have the gamma pro. 

Compared to the DT770 they will be a mighty-bit different, but give them & yourself some time to snuggle a bit and get to know eachother.... The gammas are IMO one of the electrostatics NOT to sell. EVER. They would sell for very little money, and you will have a hard time finding another set. Thats why I have kept my Gamma pros anyways. Ooh, and I like the way they sound quite a bit.

Oct 8, 2010 at 10:26 AM Post #9 of 11
So they have arrived, I also managed to get a new pair of original replacement cushions.

My first impression as you have probably guessed was...... where is the bass and a quick frantic twisting of the EQ knobs.

However I have been listening to them in my office for the last couple of days and after a little time I began to roll back the EQ as my ears adjusted to them. I have realised that the frequency spectrum is all there and these provide a much more balanced listening experience. The clarity and and expansive sound stage leaves the Beyers in a different league, actually I' not sure they are in the same game.

I have been listening to dance through to classical and have been enjoying my music collection all over again hearing things that were not evident through the Beyers. So as you can guess for my first Stax introduction I am very impressed. They do lack a bit of bass extension and the cheap frames do creak a bit and they are not that comfotable after a couple of hours use but I understand these are entry level Stax, I have a feeling my hobby may have just started to become expensive
ph34r.gif
don't tell the misses will you.

I am looking forward to getting them home on my main system for a good listen.

Just a quick question where do Lambda Nova Basics come in, are they entry level and a side ways step from the Gamma's ?

Mar 25, 2015 at 5:05 PM Post #10 of 11
Hi, I've had these since 1992. Fantastic! Only thing is to really work properly, they have to be connected to an amplifier that is left on 24/7. Also before you settle down to listen to something, they have to be 'booted up', by playing something for an hour at least, before they give their best. They will expose any faults in earth connections or inferior equipment, cables or recordings; but if everything else is good they are the best. You'll never look back.

Jan 2, 2018 at 9:20 PM Post #11 of 11
Hi, I've had these since 1992. Fantastic! Only thing is to really work properly, they have to be connected to an amplifier that is left on 24/7. Also before you settle down to listen to something, they have to be 'booted up', by playing something for an hour at least, before they give their best. They will expose any faults in earth connections or inferior equipment, cables or recordings; but if everything else is good they are the best. You'll never look back.

I think this guy is wildly overstating the importance of letting your gear warm up. I let my SRM-727A warm up for about 30 minutes before playing music, and that warm up time is 100% necessary. The channel balance is all over the place if I try listening sooner, but I can't tell any difference whatsoever between turning it on 30 mins, 24 hours, or 240 hours early. Don't waste your electricity with these ridiculous notions.

Whether you leave your earspeakers plugged in or not, or whether you warm it up with music or not makes even less difference. At least letting your amp warm up a bit has real measurable effects. The other stuff can't even theoretically make a difference. It takes a couple of seconds to "charge" your earspeakers once they're plugged in. Literally two seconds. More time than that won't change anything

where do Lambda Nova Basics come in, are they entry level and a side ways step from the Gamma's ?

Based on the impressions I've read (I haven't actually heard either a Lambda Normal bias or a Gamma yet, but I have done tons of research) the LAmbda n.b. and the Gamma seem extremely similar. People describe them the same way (lovely musical midrange, so-so bass). Both seem to have a strong following, with plenty of people calling either one their favorite Stax. I'd love to try them but I'm afraid that their strengths don't line up with my specific needs (I listen to EDM and I value bass performance over midrange musicality most of the time).

The Lambda Novas are a totally different animal though, and are only available in Pro bias AFAIK

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back