Stax SR-507 - Sept. 1, 2010 , Stax SR-207 - Oct. 1, 2010 What!!
Jan 4, 2011 at 2:06 AM Post #511 of 559
Thanks to the person who recommended silicon spray for the old style headband! 

I've put the Stax Nova headband on the SR-507 but it was very creaky (the new one is very painful to wear for me for longer than 1/2 hour). After sparing the tops of the mounting pins it's substantially quieter, and the comfort is a lot better than the new assembly for me (not as much pressure at the top of the ears).

Jan 7, 2011 at 4:01 PM Post #512 of 559

Quote:
I bit on the SR-507's and an SRM-323S to run them.   This is why you don't see me on the boards so much anymore.   I'm too busy listening.   This combination is wonderful.  Amazing detail, resolution, dynamics, comfort.   It's another world from the very good dynamic system I used to have. 

I'm pretty much retired from headphone stuff now.   Now I just listen.   So glad I took the Stax leap.  

My Stax 404s have done it for me too and I admit, I'm pretty much all set now...haven't spent as much time posting on the forum as now, I spend all my time listening to music.  I do still like to listen to my hd800s, rs-1, hf-1 and hf-2 phones for a different flavor from time to time, though.

Jan 10, 2011 at 3:37 PM Post #513 of 559
Quote:
So... from the comments above... I guess my selection isn't too bad to put my "toe in the water" with Stax.

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531445/amp-for-my-sr-507-s-t1-or-7t-or-ges#post_7165598

I don't know if I'll experience the "Stax Magic," but I do hope the combo of the 507's and 007tA / 007tII compete as well with the LCD2's and HE6's as you suggest... or... even my HD580M's (modified) and WA 6SEM (which is very good).

We shall see...

Well as I've posted in the above thread...

My 507's and 007tA/II have arrived and they do sound great.  Greater clarity, more detail, refinement and resolution... and... of course a bit more air and soundstage than my RS-1's, "new version HD580m's, and AD2000's driven by my WA6SEm.  

I guess I have experienced a bit of the Stax magic.  But... while they're a wee bit better than my other great dynamic set ups, they're not dramatically better - in fact they sound very similar to my AD2000's, in many respects. 

EDIT:  As noted in the other thread, as I listen to them more, they actually do have quite a bit more resolution, clarity and detail, than my dynamic phones.

Jan 10, 2011 at 5:46 PM Post #515 of 559

Quote:
Only listen to the SR507s for a week then go back to your other phones and you'll start to realize many things wrong with them.

Well put...this is when I find how much better my Stax are...it is also their ability to effortlessly bring me music as if I was at the venue...it's more holographic and 3 dimensional and out of my head.

Jan 27, 2011 at 12:39 PM Post #516 of 559
Just got my SR-507s in today and initial impressions are very positive already! On my initial listen to stats all those weeks ago, i knew i had to get my grubby paws on them. I basically sold all my Dynamic and Ortho cans and took the plunge just a while ago.

Stats just make music sound like well, music. So cohesive and natural sounding! WOW!

Feb 5, 2011 at 6:21 AM Post #518 of 559
I upgraded recently from a 404LE to a 507. It is a significant step up in many respects.
Bass seems not only deeper but, more importantly, it is much tighter, better articulated and refined too, while having more slam and weight. It is totally uncoloured. You can follow all bass lines effortlessly.
Mids are more open and detailed.
Treble is wonderfully delicate, and never sharp or etched.
Soundstage seems wider still. Placement of voices and instruments is easier to 'see'.
Presentation of the acoustical environment is so natural, that I had to take the 507 off a few times to check if I was listening to phones at all.
I like the 404LE a lot. But the 507 justifies its higher price completely.

Feb 5, 2011 at 8:06 AM Post #521 of 559
Always nice to seen one's subjective impressions confirmed! 
I'd like to add that the 507 is so transparant that I feel less inclined to pump up the volume. You don't need high levels to 'look through' the sound.

Feb 6, 2011 at 10:33 AM Post #522 of 559

Quote:
Always nice to seen one's subjective impressions confirmed! 
I'd like to add that the 507 is so transparant that I feel less inclined to pump up the volume. You don't need high levels to 'look through' the sound.

I agree and that's one of the major reasons I decided to go with the 507's.   I really like not having to pump up the volume to get detail.  

Feb 13, 2011 at 11:48 PM Post #523 of 559
Anyone here willing to do a 20-100hz warble test with their 507?  tracks 8, 9, 10 here http://binkster.net/extras.shtml (Admin Kevin sourced this great link btw). Track 6 will be neat too.

If anyone could provide references to other headphones (volume matched all the better) I would be most appreciative. LCD-2, HE-6, and HD 800 comparisions would be most helpful but anything would be great.

I am looking to see just how much these actually roll off because I have learned that people who like Stax tend to like a particular kind of bass I don't want to pay big money for
biggrin.gif
. I would like a Stat but I so far none I have heard offer me the neutrality and linearity I desire.

Thanks in advance!

Feb 15, 2011 at 4:08 PM Post #525 of 559
Well, I don't have the 507's unfortunately, so I tried with my 303's. I must say that my CD player and interconnects are rather bassy, but the player is strong only in the midbass and rolls off the bottom octave (I don't know exactly how much but noticeably anyway). When I had the Apogee Mini-Dac, the lower bass was obviously more pronounced than with my current player. Anyway. The tracks nr. 8, 9 and 10 together cover the 40Hz - 160Hz area, and if I'd have to say by the ear where the downward slope starts I'd say it's around 50Hz. The ~40Hz tones were still clearly audible with the volume knob at normal listening position (which is not loud, it's at 9:30 o'clock), and so was the 31.5 Hz tone (there's another track with this frequency), albeit just as a subdued rumble. The 25Hz tone (yet another track) was barely audible. There's another phenomenon that caught my attention, however: I seem to be hearing... overtones? It's like there's another "buzz"-like sound on top of the basic frequency (only for low bass tones). I'm aware of the fact that the tracks are made of pure sine waves, and I'm wondering if this is some kind of harmonic distortion in the phones, a sort of parasitic vibration in their structure or a normal acoustic effect of listening to sine waves (I doubt that, but maybe it's possible, I don't know). I haven't tried with my other (dynamic) headphones, I will do it tomorrow.
As for the track 6, I've tried it but I don't quite know what kind of information are you looking to get from this. The sound got subjectively louder and louder as the frequency increased so I had to readjust the volume several times. At 0:20 the sound moved for a short while clearly to the left, then returned to center, did this again (but less pronounced) at 0:23 and returned, then there was another quick move to the left, then immediately to the right and then back to the center somewhere around 0:28, then stayed centered until it got to high for my hearing. I don't know if it's my ears' or the phones' fault.

I hope it helps a little bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back