Stax Omega II-Best price?
Jan 21, 2003 at 10:38 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 22

joelongwood

Keeper of the 'Phones
I'm taking advantage of my school district's cash retirement incentive, so I figured I may treat myself to the Stax. If I do, I won't be purchasing it until the summer, but I'd like to start looking for reputable dealers with good prices. I know that Koji of EIFL had the best price, but I don't know if he's still around. I tried to e-mail him and it was returned.
Also, would a Gilmore amp designed for the Omega IIs be better/cheaper/as good as/not as good as either of the two amps that Stax sells.
And of those two, the tubed hybrid, or the solid state, which one is recommended?
Thanks for any help you can give me. maybe this purchase will be the cure..........but I doubt it.
biggrin.gif

Jan 21, 2003 at 10:47 PM Post #2 of 22
I cannot answer your question, but good luck with the retirement.. I wish you many years of listening pleasure with the god of all headphones.

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 12:48 AM Post #5 of 22
Hi joelongwood-

Wow, you're gonna take the big dip...far out!

I have the SRM-007t (tube amp) and Vert has the solid state job. We both like the sound of our amps but that's not to say that I wouldn't dig the SRM-717. I've just never heard it. I'm certain either one would blow your mind.

As far as the Gilmore, once again, I'm sure it's a killer but I've never had the pleasure of an audition.

Bottom line, prepare for a significant change in your life regardless of which path you choose.

Hey, I'm excited for you...congratulations in advance!

smily_headphones1.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 1:24 AM Post #6 of 22
Yes, lex, there were headphones in that picture...........I think.
wink.gif

Thanks for the replies. I know I have to make room for them, and my wife is having the family room re-done with built in bookshelves and cabinets. My "corner" will house all my gear........behind doors. I figure I'll design the doors, so the 'phones can hang on the back and not make contact with the stuff inside. That's the plan, anyway.
As far as the Stax go, it's still not a definite......at least not until I get the cash in my hand. I may actually elect, for tax purposes, to receive the cash incentive 7 months after I retire, which would bring me into the new year of 2004, before I actually see the money.
Rick, I'm sure I would be happy with either the SS or tubed Stax amp, but I'm curious about a Gilmore. Any info on this with electrostatics? I did a search but came up empty.
With regard to price, I know that Koji at EIFL sold the headphones by themselves for around $1400, which is about $400 less than Audiocubes, quite a substantial difference.
If anyone knows if Koji or EIFL is still around, please let me know. Thanks.

Jan 22, 2003 at 1:57 AM Post #8 of 22
joelongwood, have you heard the Omega IIs before?
My only experience with them was at the Headroom tour and I was very disappointed. (along with KR...)
We didn't think they sounded good at all.
frown.gif

To say that I was heart broken was an understatement.
There is too much good feedback on these cans to lead me to believe that we indeed were listening to a defective pair.
(to be fair the equipment at the tour does take an unusual beating)
I would love the opportunity to try to audition a known good working pair so that my faith in the headphone gods can be restored.
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 2:02 AM Post #9 of 22
Quote:

joelongwood, have you heard the Omega IIs before?

Yes, Bootman, I heard them at the Headroom booth (room) at the NYC Stereophile Show in 2001. It didn't take long before I knew they were in my future..............stunning sound!To my ears, they made all the other headphones sound boring. Didn't listen to the Orpheus, though. Maybe the Omegas were hooked up correctly.
wink.gif

Jan 22, 2003 at 2:15 AM Post #10 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by stan23
I cannot answer your question, but good luck with the retirement.. I wish you many years of listening pleasure with the god of all headphones.

smily_headphones1.gif

rolleyes.gif

I hope that they will sound better in your home than they did at the Headroom meet
redface.gif

I also hope liek Bootman that that pair at the meet was broken, since Stax is such a legendary name in headphones.

Jan 22, 2003 at 2:36 AM Post #11 of 22
Joelongwood if you need to clear that corner out. Maybe toss that RKV, Earmax or RA1. Let me know. I can make room in my corner.
biggrin.gif
Just no Sony's!(unless they're wood)

Jan 22, 2003 at 3:07 AM Post #12 of 22
Quote:

Originally posted by joelongwood

If anyone knows if Koji or EIFL is still around, please let me know. Thanks.

Funny, but I also tried to email him yesterday and my message was returned (unfortunately, my question wasn't about the Omegas). It's too bad--he's a nice guy with excellent service and great prices. If someone can track him down, I too would like to know.

Jan 22, 2003 at 5:29 AM Post #14 of 22
I got my Omegas from EIFL a couple of month ago, so they should still be around. You might need to do a little bargaining, but the price Koji originally quotes is very negotiable to say the least.

I have only used them with self-made Gilmore amps (do a search on KGSS and Weebl if you're interested). Unfortunately, I never had a chance of listening to the official amps, so I really can't compare them and that's too sad. But I what I can say is that the solid-state Gilmore amp is very very good, and the hybrid is even better still. It totally spoiled me
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back