Stax O2 Mk1 cable repair.
Apr 5, 2012 at 7:11 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

jaycalgary

500+ Head-Fier
I broke my cable today on my O2 Mk1's at the strain relief. It is pretty upsetting and I am not out of the woods yet. I decided to try and combine a 407 cable into the original modified strain reliefs. So far it has potential that exceeds my expectations. A few things that if anyone has an opinion if I am doing it wrong please let me know.
I plan to swap driver sides left right if it is okay. Last thing I would like to know is the 407 cable the same quality as the O2 Mk1? They look the exactly the same but brighter copper in the 407.

Apr 6, 2012 at 5:35 AM Post #2 of 5
I finished my repair today. Wish I would have went just a little slower and could have been seamlessly perfect. I just used marine epoxy to bond the two together. I carved out the old strain relief with just a drill the outside was soft plastic but drilling far enough in there is a harder plastic so it made for a great bond I think. The worst part is soldering the 3 tiny silver wires on inside because there is no space ad they can break. I don't think I had a proper working pair from the day I bought them anyway. The old cable was more smooth maybe a bit more laid back sounding. The new cable seems faster attack better bass sound stage feels wider there is more treble but may be too sharp now sometimes. The old cable just may have been on its last legs and I am just getting close to what they should sound like. I think they are more efficient and can overdrive the 717 faster. It does make me wonder what the O2 Mk1's with a 507 cable would sound like.

Apr 6, 2012 at 7:15 PM Post #4 of 5
It happened because I stepped on the cable. I think the fault area was very near where the cable and strain relief meet and over years of use was shredding in this area.

Apr 6, 2012 at 11:09 PM Post #5 of 5
Maybe it is because it is full moon good Friday but another set back has come. I am very happy with the sound I now have and seems much more balanced left and right. Sometimes I can hear like a holographic image that has depth and even spooked e a couple times so far. Problem is after a break I had a brief way to loud burst of talk radio audio from laptop then switched and started to play a song that was just starting and I lost sound. After narrowing it down to the SRM-717 I found that the F1 and F2 0.1A fuses have blown. The F1 was a bit cloudy. I can't get new fuses till tomorrow. Anyone know how concerned I should be about this? I am tired of playing with fire but am thinking of opening the O2's once more and making sure all are not cold and clean contacts with a detox kit. I really do not want to though. I am using an Srm 1/ MK2 for tonight with no problems. Bass is pretty much on par with the 717 at louder volumes the mids seem flatter,less depth and treble on poor recordings can be harsher. Certainly do not have to play loud to enjoy these headphones. These are just impressions and I have the audio memory of a gold fish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back