Stax O2 Mk1 balance or bust.
Jan 2, 2012 at 1:20 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 1

jaycalgary

500+ Head-Fier
I really really did not want to open my O2's but I did the unthinkable. Even from the day I received the pair in the mail the bass weight in the left channel just seemed partly missing to me. I just had enough of thinking it was my ear and opened the left side up to see if there was a visual problem. Everything appeared normal until I got to the 3 short wires that go from the the driver leads to the connectors on the cable. Just with very little movement the white was broke off at the point where it meets the connector at the cable. This caused an instant feeling of horror! It must be better it broke or was all ready broken there than on the driver side. I managed to strip on a tiny bit of the white Teflon and carefully gave it one quick hit with the soldering iron. I reassembled and think I managed to balance out the bass and the image in between the ears. I will be able to tell better in a few days because I have some ear drops in one ear. I did notice the middle blue wire where it connects to the driver does look like it is cold solder. Does anyone know if I could send the in to Stax and the would re-solder them up like new again? Maybe it is too risky and if they turn out to feel right the way they are now I better leave them? Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back