Stax Lambda Sig Repair?
Apr 22, 2010 at 8:55 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

jaycalgary

500+ Head-Fier
My Lambda Sig were delivered today but the disappointment was almost instant. I knew the Foam was gone but the seller left out the part that the mesh is poked into the driver. One side doesn't look as bad just a little bit in the middle but the other side is pretty bad. The film that is under the screen door mesh is distorted and shows some wrinkling. I plugged them in they do play though. I am going to make a pin hook and pull the mesh out to close to original shape and see if they might be fixable?

Apr 22, 2010 at 9:11 PM Post #2 of 9
Receiving the headphone in that condition is unacceptable. I would return the headphone to the seller and demand a refund if it's proven that packing was inadequate.

Apr 22, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #3 of 9
Packing was as bad as it get they came in about an over sized shoe box. It had the headphones and a Srm-1/Mk-2. A page of newspaper an 2 tiny pieces of bubble wrap. Even a circle from the foot of the amp is punctured out of the box. There isn't any returning though I bought them off "Canuckaudiomart" and probably just lucky I even got them. They smell funny.

I pulled the mesh out it took the pressure off the thin plastic. I can still see the plastic is indented. It stretched and flutters like a sail in that area. I don't see it is punctured anywhere though. I have been listening to them and seem to play fine. Is it possible they are ok even though what happened to them?

One other interesting thing. I have 2 Srm-1/Mk-2 one is SN C404* and the new one is SN C579*. The old one has some silver, some tan, and the big resisters are chocolate brown resisters. The one I just got are mostly all tan with a bit of a purple pink color and the big resisters are the same color.

Apr 23, 2010 at 12:30 AM Post #4 of 9
The plastic you see is the front is the dust cover, as long as it isnt perforated or torn, you should be good. The diaphragm is between the two hard stators, out of sight.

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:11 AM Post #6 of 9
The dust cover is dented in if I blow lightly on it will wave like a flag and make an audible noise. This I think might be noticeable when they are played at loud volumes because of the bass. I took the pressure off when I brought the grill back to shape. Maybe they were better with the dent under pressure or is that even worse? Do they sell that dust cover membrane anywhere or is it something that would have to be done in a "Clean room"? I just tried something that probably would make some cringe. It made me cringe but had to try it I hope I don't again though. I took my soldering iron and tried to shrink the damaged area back to shape. It may have worked a bit but not enough to make it tight took quite a while also. Anyone know the verdict? Is this just the way they are?

Apr 23, 2010 at 1:22 AM Post #7 of 9
Here is three cell pics it is i the corner. Only have cell cam. The area around the damage if I blow on it can watch it flutter because its not tight like the other side or Like my Lambda Pros. If I play them with a bassy track or loud and I have them off my head its noisy but I can't really tell yet if it shows up when they are sealed to the ears. Inside these headphones on the back looks to be the same plastic dust cover on the Lambda pros I think its like a chese cloth that air will flow through on the inside back. I think there might be more floor noise with the Lambda pro than these.

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:07 AM Post #8 of 9
You paid $750 for the combo - sounds high for the less than perfect setup you received. Have you contacted the seller about this?

Apr 23, 2010 at 3:49 AM Post #9 of 9
The one you see for $750 is a new listing for Lambda pro and SRM-1/MK2 Somebody else just put up for sale. I bought Lambda Signatures and SRM-1/MK2 "C" for $620. I have emailed him. He apologizes I just tried tried to get the point across that the way it was shipped was not acceptable so its done there is no sending them back that would probably work out badly. I may just be my own hearing imbalance or it could be the old pads but the damaged side may have less bass something seems a little lopsided I have to give them some more time. I started comparing to myself K702 that have been put away for a good while. Its hard to tell because they are so different. I don't have proper words but the Lambdas seem more natural soundstage. K702 seem like some instruments or vocals are way off to the left or right and they are more sonic and airy sounding but I remember wanting to try crossfeed just to bring the instruments and vocals together like a concert. I know I am way off in my description but hopeful it will make a little sense. At first when I started listening to the k702 I feel like why did I go buy all this old Stax equipment but I think the Stax has more full bodied smoother sound and just presents the music in a way that makes sense to me for right now at least. Lambda Signature's are being very picky about head position and if you pull the just a bit from ears they even get more bass seem very different from Lambda Pros

Users who are viewing this thread

Back