Stax crinkle noise?
Mar 21, 2010 at 1:30 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

jaycalgary

500+ Head-Fier
I just got a set of Lambda pro and I notice a crinkle noise. I think its the air tight seal that sometimes a little pressure I will hear a crinkling noise. Is this anything to worry about? Seems to happen once and a while both on right and left side.

Mar 21, 2010 at 1:45 AM Post #2 of 7
frown.gif
Electrostats make crinkling, hissing and spitting noises when they're not in good health. Usually from holes in the diaphragm or if something is coming loose.

Check your pair to make sure there isn't a hair against the driver.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:15 AM Post #3 of 7
They seem to sound really nice though. It is air pressure that makes the noise. The foam inside the ear cup has pretty badly deteriorated so I am thinking of removing what is left.

Mar 21, 2010 at 2:30 AM Post #4 of 7
Yup it's due to the seal of the earpads and the unequal air pressure. Sometimes referred to as the Stax "fart" though it doesn't really sound like a fart except with the SR-007 MKI iirc. Just sounds like a crinkle. No big deal, you'll get used to it.

Mar 21, 2010 at 10:19 AM Post #5 of 7
Well it depends on the noise that it's making.
Try to put pressure on the cups while having headphones on the head and see if the noise is the same.
Or just remember if you heard the noise while not moving the head or the headphones.
If second is the case than something is wrong with the drivers...hair,dust touching them.

Dec 8, 2015 at 6:06 PM Post #7 of 7
I know this is a very old thread, but I just today received my new SR-407 earspeakers (from eBay) and also my re-capped SRM-1 Mk2 amp bought off these boards, and I heard some of those crinkly sounds even putting the headphones on without them being plugged in... yup, just checked it again unplugged and the sounds only come when the pads are pushed and squeezed a bit and only if the pads are sealed all the way around the ears, so I guess that is just the sound of air pressure on the membranes... a little odd, but hopefully normal. I don't remember anyone talking about these noises before, though, so good to find at least one other mention.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back