Starting From Scratch - Scalable Setup
Nov 12, 2011 at 6:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

jt4266

New Head-Fier
Hi All,

I have been reading through the headfi threads regarding DACS, Amps and the like. I've made the decision to start building an audio rig but am starting small. I currently run my laptop straight to my AudioEngine A5's and use IEM's with my Sansa Clip+.

The first step it would seem would be to improve my audio source via a DAC. My budget is < $200. So where I'm having trouble deciding is whether to spend it on a DAC only or on a DAC/Amp combo. My initially thought that getting the DAC/Amp combo would be best because I intend on buying cans to use around the house and give my girlfriend a break. But I'm wondering since I will be initially just using these with the A5's its better to spend the money on a DAC only since it doesn't need the power. Or in this price range should I just get the combo and then upgrade each when I have the cash?

If I could also run my XBox 360 through this to the A5's that would also be a benefit. I know the additional inputs would increase my cost but I'm somewhat flexible on price.

Ultimately this would be part of a rig including a receiver and bookshelf speakers but in my current apartment in NYC that would be overkill.

Thanks

Nov 13, 2011 at 10:32 AM Post #2 of 2
So after reading more I can articulate what I'm looking for in a couple of bullet points and hopefully get a few DAC/amp suggestions:

DAC and amp that:

-Has USB(for laptop) and optical(Xbox360) inputs
-Amp is powerful enough to drive cans such as Senn 360
-Can use as preamp for Audioengine A5 speakers
-RCA and 1/4" line-out or headphone out

Budget is around $200. Is the EMU 0404 my best bet for all of these features?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back