star wars: the force unleashed is an underrated game
Mar 11, 2010 at 4:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 26

uzziah

Headphoneus Supremus
anyone really like this game like me? yeah, it can be a bit repetitive, the story isn't great, enemies could be more interesting, graphics are a little stale

BUT, it's jut F U N

i think the FUN factor is lost in a lot of reviews today; games are so technically challenging that we end up rating them on the quality of the talent that produced them, the technical perfection of the visuals, etc. etc. but some games have all that and are just not that fun

for instance, and this is just IMHO, i thought the first gears of war was one of the best games i've ever played; it just had IT; just felt great; but IMHO the second one just didn't have IT; it was bigger, more "impressive" etc. etc. and there isn't anything i can say technically wrong with it, but the campaign just didn't feel like that of the first. in fact i don't know if i could rate it lower in numbers, but in words i'd say it was just "not as fun".

sort of like KOTOR 1 and 2. KOTOR 1 is my favorite game of all time, but 2 just didn't have it. the story just fell apart. gears2's story is also weaker than the first, but more than the story, it's the cohesiveness of the action that feels missing

force unleashed was just fun. i think telekinesis is the most functional and fun ability in video games today. the grav-gun in hl2 is the same thing. here it's implimented better than anywhere, and works pretty damn well. force push is simple, lightening is cool; and btw: the animations in this game are the best i've seen; really excellent motion capture work. your character swings his saber very nicely

so.......i do understand why people rate this game down. it definitely has blemishes. absolutely it does. but as far as i'm concerned, it's really realy FUN

go get it if you haven't played. i have encountered very few bugs playing now; oh, and only play on the second difficulty, the third is damn hard

peace

Mar 11, 2010 at 4:36 AM Post #2 of 26
I cant really say anything about games that people rate poorly, one of my favorite games from 08 was Too Human, i played that for over a 100 hours, and it got god awful reviews from almost everywhere. But i think that was mainly because people were expecting it to be something it wasnt.

But i definitely agree about GoW 2 not having "it", i felt the same way after i played it the first time, the story wasnt as good, and there was just something missing. And also, with KOTOR 2, i dont know if you know this, but it was developed my Obsidian, whereas the first was developed my Bioware, arguably the best western RPG developer.

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:00 AM Post #3 of 26
Bah...it's all about Day of Defeat: Source!!!!!

In all honesty - that's the game I play 98% of the time.

The other 2% is COD: MW2

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #4 of 26
right; , and oh yeah i know that about kotor2; bioware is my little god on planet earth; i loved mass effect and i'm jonsing to play mass effect 2

i'm also gonna sell my xbox360 and get a ps3; putting up my HD projector with a 130" screen and want the bluray; and the ps3 now also has the netflix instant player; i'm telling ya, that is the damn coolest thing EVER; lots of great content; it's not full HD, and not tons of content, but still super cool; and all you need is the cheapest netflix unlimited plan at like $10/month (but i digress)

.............but mainly i want to play drake's fortune, the god of war series (haven't played any), metal gear

also putting my PC together and want to play the great flight sims i haven't ever played. getting a hotas x stick coming (works with ps3 too for hawx), want to play IL2-STURMOVIK with my flight stick and a trackIR head-tracker, with my PC hooked up to my 130" HD-projector; doesn't that sound wicked? graphics are definitely outdated but still fun i'm sure. play LOCK-ON as well, if i can get used to real flight sims; also using the trackIR to look around corners in racing games like gtr2 and dirt2. aint that cool? checkout demos on youtube. the trackIR has gotten a little lost in the fog since it's only for the PC, but damn that's so cool; keeping track of enemies while flying, looking into corners while racing, and looking to my left and right quickly with my head, instead of having to turn my gun slowly (i can't handle super-sensitive aiming sights) while playing shooters..............that's just so damn cool. you gotta admit that that's something the PC's got going for it big time, not to mention that the cost of hardware it takes to create quality like the ps3 is really not expensive these days

.........sorry for the long note, just excited. i'm knocking a wall down to make my bedroom bigger (connecting two small bedrooms). gonna have the 130" screen painted on the wall at one end, my bed at the other, and recliners and couch in the middle, so i can lay in bed or sit in chair and watch film, play game etc. will have PC hooked up to my 22" LCD (or my 42" 1080p lcd if i can get it fixed), AND my projector, so have the best of both world cuz the PJ is 720p (infocus X9) and can't use as a monitor much, but i can a little........heck, emailing on a 130 screen : ) or writing the great american novel

i have chronic lyme disease, am very sick and disabled, so making my room into a sanctuary is very important.

peace

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:10 AM Post #5 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFF /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Bah...it's all about Day of Defeat: Source!!!!!

In all honesty - that's the game I play 98% of the time.

The other 2% is COD: MW2

haven't played that; played a lot of counterstrike, got my ass handed to me most of the time

Mar 11, 2010 at 5:19 AM Post #6 of 26
The other thing is that different people find different things fun, like i know alot of my friends thought that Biochock was boring, and so they wouldnt even play it. Whereas i think it's one of the best games of this generation, and had a blast playing it.

Yeah i love bioware, i just finished replaying ME1 and started ME2 today, presentation wise, everything about it is better, graphics, menu speed, things like that. Im still uncertain about the gameplay changes, whether i like them more or not, but it's still alot of fun to play. And after i beat that ill be playing FF13, and then ill be sinking some time into Dragon Age: Origins
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:15 AM Post #7 of 26
Quote:

I cant really say anything about games that people rate poorly, one of my favorite games from 08 was Too Human, i played that for over a 100 hours, and it got god awful reviews from almost everywhere. But i think that was mainly because people were expecting it to be something it wasnt.

I agree, I had a blast at this game. I easily had 200hr+ in it. It still puts a smile on my face when I play it. Its just fun.

With that said I thought star wars was a pretty fun game. I think a lot of games that are rated 7-8 are a lot of fun. I play plenty of the 10s too.

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:24 AM Post #8 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by KingStyles /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I agree, I had a blast at this game. I easily had 200hr+ in it. It still puts a smile on my face when I play it. Its just fun

We should play some co op HoH or world serpent sometime, id like an excuse to play again, or maybe just run through the whole thing since it doesnt take long
smily_headphones1.gif

Mar 11, 2010 at 6:36 AM Post #9 of 26
Quote:

Originally Posted by uzziah /img/forum/go_quote.gif
haven't played that; played a lot of counterstrike, got my ass handed to me most of the time

You should give it a shot. It's not as hard as counterstrike, and IMHO, it's a lot more fun.

Mar 11, 2010 at 7:27 AM Post #10 of 26
Quote:

We should play some co op HoH or world serpent sometime, id like an excuse to play again, or maybe just run through the whole thing since it doesnt take long

Thats cool, ill buy a used copy tomorrow since I just sold it to fund some things.
KING STYLES 1 is the tag.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:50 AM Post #14 of 26
Quote:

the gameplay is too simplistic, i don't think it's underrated

Have you ever tried it on the hardest difficulty? It takes a lot of skill to manipulate that simplistic gameplay to get through it. Sometimes simplistic gameplay like whats on too human is what makes it fun.

Mar 12, 2010 at 2:55 AM Post #15 of 26
I got dizzy playing it. I didn't like it all that much when I wasn't dizzy. Jedi Knight 2 and 3 were much much better games in their days.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back