Stand alone crossfeed - Tangent's Linkwitz Board?
Sep 26, 2003 at 3:19 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Rameish

100+ Head-Fier
Had this not so brilliant idea of getting someone to build a crossfeed box using the PCB from Tangent as a post headphone amp device. The reason is simple. I have gotten so used to the crossfeed on my Corda HA-1 (bedroom setup) and HA-2 (living room set up), that when I audition other non crossfeed amps it's makes life difficult. Also, it would be great to have a portable crossfeed box between the amp and headphone. So instead of using RCA inputs, all one needs is 1/8 inch headphone jacks.

However, somehow, I get the feeling this is not possible as it would have been done by now by someone. Having said that I noticed that Shure's top-of-the-line earcanals has them inbuilt.

Could someone explain to me why this can't be done. Or if its done would the alterered sound be unacceptable.

Thanking you in advance.

Did do a search but no one seems to have addressed this issue.

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:27 AM Post #2 of 7
how about just pinkfloyd's X-feed Rameish?
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:28 AM Post #3 of 7
IIRC Jan told me once that this could be done....I was not able to find the email that explain how, but you know him, just ask him...but yes it is possible AFAIK...
Pink Floyd's is just between the amp and Cdplayer, there ar other requirements but danmit! I was not able to find the email...
Try Corda Cross-1

Sep 26, 2003 at 3:38 AM Post #4 of 7
I have a crossfeed (Linkwitz on Tangent board) in a seperate enclosure, but it is designed to go between the source and the amp, rather than between the amp and the 'phones. Mine is RCA in and out, but you could use whatever you like.

It IS handy to have the ability to place it in the signal path of any amp, as you note. And when you disconnect it, it's totally removed, of course.

Sep 26, 2003 at 6:45 AM Post #5 of 7
Thanks Guys,

Abalze,

X-feed has other issues and I suspect, was voiced for X-Cans in the sense it rolls off the highs and there's quite a bit of attenuation (not a bad thing in the X-Cans case bec. the volume pot tends to be quite unbalanced at low normal listening volumes and the amp is rather bright). Howver this is the MkII version that Lengcm brought back from the UK. I understand from Lengcm that there's a MkIV version out. But I digress. Back to the point:

Sovkiller & Voodoochilli,

Shure seems to be able to put a crossfeed into the headphone side of things. So we at least know it's possible. However, I don't know how good that is, having not heard this myself. So I was thinking since crossfeed allows me to enjoy music for extended periods that it would be a real handy device to have and if its portable (say the side of Tangent's board or slightly bigger), then you can plug any headphone into it and it can be plugged into any headphone amp.

Using the Corda Cross or X-feed (ir between source and amp) may be technically better but involves an additional pair of interconnects RCA's etc (bass is the bottle neck). And, more importantly, it isn't very portable is it.

Anyways, I wait for more responses as I'm certain it's possible (maybe it's just hope).

Having tasted crossfeed - both headroom's and Meier Audio's I just find it difficult to go back.

And I simply do not like the idea of limiting myself to amps with built in crossfeed. It also should be too expensive I guess US$100 is the sorta ball park figure.

Sep 29, 2003 at 12:09 AM Post #7 of 7
case of a totally passive crossfeed it becomes very inpedance sensitive and the requency hinge points can change

first you want a low impedence source to drive the network.It would not hurt to hang a buffer on the front end (either discrete or an opamp or even a buf 634)
failing that try to stay below 200 ohm driving impedence

as for the output-the value of the next stage input impedence will determine the actual frequency of the crossfeed turnover !

to get a general non technical idea of this look at the meier audio cross page

the best workaround for this is to have a "known" impedence (10 is about right) and tailor the hinge point to the value,again an active stage will help

if you must go passive (and I do
wink.gif
) then drive it with a low impedence cdp output (no tube or trnsformer coupled stages) ence or the filter will sound different with each amp !

same with the headphone level crossfeeds-the frequency would change with different headphones-grados being 32 ohms and the senns 300-not even close in value

hope this helps a bit

Users who are viewing this thread

Back