stacking transfomers
Dec 19, 2009 at 3:32 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

nightanole

100+ Head-Fier
Due to size constraints i cant fit a large enough transformer in my case. However i can fit 2 smaller transformers in the case to get the needed va. Would it be a problem to parallel 2 transformers and stack them either side my side or on top of each other for a single voltage source?

Dec 22, 2009 at 8:26 PM Post #2 of 5
Stacking them one on top of the other is fine, just be sure to use metal standoffs and consider mating the standoffs with both the top and bottom surfaces of whatever enclosure you are using. What type of transformers are these? There maybe be some rare cases where such stacking isn't optimal.

Dec 23, 2009 at 12:21 AM Post #4 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by audiowize /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Stacking them one on top of the other is fine, just be sure to use metal standoffs and consider mating the standoffs with both the top and bottom surfaces of whatever enclosure you are using. What type of transformers are these? There maybe be some rare cases where such stacking isn't optimal.

If these are toroids, do not connect both the top and bottom of the mounting bolt as this will result in a shorted turn. The transformers will get hot and will not be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Dec 23, 2009 at 12:49 AM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by Pars /img/forum/go_quote.gif
If these are toroids, do not connect both the top and bottom of the mounting bolt as this will result in a shorted turn. The transformers will get hot and will not be happy
smily_headphones1.gif

Ive heard never use steal screws to begin with. Anyway they are toroids. I wanted to make sure that running in parallel was ok and wouldnt cause them to heat each other like the power line transformers do.

Ps they will be identical. Same vac and voltage, and load.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back