SSD - Fi
Mar 8, 2009 at 2:33 PM Post #48 of 53
argh, I wish there's a hack to put an extra SSD as a boot drive on my MB Pro. I don't wanna replace the spacious 500GB with a teeny SSD just for speed... (yeah, I know the largest 'retail' SSD now is 256GB. But even my old drive was 320GB...

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:00 PM Post #49 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
argh, I wish there's a hack to put an extra SSD as a boot drive on my MB Pro. I don't wanna replace the spacious 500GB with a teeny SSD just for speed... (yeah, I know the largest 'retail' SSD now is 256GB. But even my old drive was 320GB...

same reason here

i have 2 drives in my laptop, cant really loose either

Mar 8, 2009 at 5:09 PM Post #50 of 53
Al4x: I googled a bit about the situation. This may be an interesting middle ground:

FileMate

115MB read, 65MB write, which is kinda meh, but should be real decent for random r/w compared to rotating platters.

I've read that macbook pro is bootable from the expresscard slot, so I may just try it just for kicks.

Btw, what kinda desktop replacement monster are you using that comes with 2 drives??
EDIT: Nm, sigs are wonderful.

Mar 8, 2009 at 7:12 PM Post #51 of 53
hmm, interesting, the only thing i use my expresscard slot for is digital tv,

i bet my laptop isnt bootable from it!

my laptop
doesnt come with twin hard drive, i have it in the cd drive slot, i use an external burner mostly, they swap in/out without any screws anyway

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:46 PM Post #52 of 53
Nice setup. I prefer my optical drive to be removable too.
If only they all come in that configuration so we can swap em with SSD.
I'll try ordering the 48GB for boot drive, will do a write up if successful.

Mar 9, 2009 at 6:56 PM Post #53 of 53
yeah it works well, without having a double thickness laptop, those are too heavy for moving!

will be interesting to see if it works, if it does, i could have 3 hard drives lol

i suppose i could get 2 big ones now, currently 160gb 7200rpm bigger buffer primary and 320gb 5400rpm second

Users who are viewing this thread

Back