SRM-252S -- better way to power than the wall wart?
Dec 8, 2013 at 6:15 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

s1rrah

Headphoneus Supremus
Over in a certain Koss ESP-950 thread, many users found that replacing the Koss energizer wall wart with a 9V 3.00A regulated AC adapter to yield a degree of sonic improvement.

Is there any such similar solution in regards to the Stax SRM-252S amplifier, which also uses a "wall wart" type power supply?  I've not read about any such mod/hack but thought I would ask here.  Would the 252S benefit from a regulated AC adapter as opposed to the wall wart? Is such a modification even possible?

Just curious ...

Dec 8, 2013 at 6:50 AM Post #2 of 5
Everything is better when regulated but do not use a switcher.  Switcher feeding another switcher is always a bad idea. 

Another thing to consider is how stable the PSU is, i.e. how tightly regulated it is.  With the current draw this low the voltage might rise and blow up parts of the amp. 

Dec 8, 2013 at 9:56 AM Post #3 of 5
If you have a decent multimeter, and a giant pair of balls, you can use a linear regulated lab bench supply to power the little amplifier.

Adjust the voltage on the bench supply until the rails are a just a touch under +/-300V, any higher and you may let some magic smoke out of the transistors. Just make sure the power supply caps are still happy with the slight increase in voltage, higher voltage ones are a bit bigger, but you should be able to cram them in if needed. 

This worked with the older 252A, I'm not sure if it still works for the newer 252S, so you should wait for someone else to chime in. Be very very careful if you do open it up!

I can't say I noticed a significant difference when I tried it, but as always, YMMV.

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:13 AM Post #4 of 5
Over in a certain Koss ESP-950 thread, many users found that replacing the Koss energizer wall wart with a 9V 3.00A regulated AC adapter to yield a degree of sonic improvement.

Is there any such similar solution in regards to the Stax SRM-252S amplifier, which also uses a "wall wart" type power supply?  I've not read about any such mod/hack but thought I would ask here.  Would the 252S benefit from a regulated AC adapter as opposed to the wall wart? Is such a modification even possible?

Just curious ...

I used a battery power pack with the 252S rather than the wall wart. I didn't notice any sonic improvements
Trev

Dec 8, 2013 at 11:51 AM Post #5 of 5
Thanks ... I'll just use the stock wall wart ... it's a brand new amp; not going to take a chance on frying it. Mostly got it to use with the Koss cans ... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back