SRH840 impression
May 29, 2013 at 4:05 PM Post #2,041 of 2,135
The SoundMagic seems to fit my tastes. What's the street price on these or where can I find a good deal?

May 29, 2013 at 4:14 PM Post #2,042 of 2,135
May 29, 2013 at 6:34 PM Post #2,043 of 2,135
Meh if it's $200 right now, I will wait it out for a little bit to see if the price drops on Amazon or other websites.

May 29, 2013 at 7:50 PM Post #2,044 of 2,135
Quote:
Meh if it's $200 right now, I will wait it out for a little bit to see if the price drops on Amazon or other websites.

True, but for $200 I don't think there's a better closed headphone out there.

May 29, 2013 at 8:14 PM Post #2,045 of 2,135
That might be so, but I'm in no rush right now anyways. I got a few months before college starts again, which is when I am going to need them.

Jun 21, 2013 at 2:20 PM Post #2,046 of 2,135
I just got the 840 this morning. I absolutely love them! They have very nice full detailed sound! Good soundstage too for a closed 'phone too.

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:44 AM Post #2,047 of 2,135
Quote:
I just got the 840 this morning. I absolutely love them! They have very nice full detailed sound! Good soundstage too for a closed 'phone too.

I agree that they have a very nice sound, but they just lack bass for me. I'm a light basshead though 
tongue.gif

Jun 22, 2013 at 4:51 AM Post #2,048 of 2,135
I just picked up a pair of these recently on the forums and am very impressed by how balanced and smooth these are.  Comfort might not be as nice as the Brainwavz HM5s that I had prior, but sound is a lot less veiled and is surprisingly smooth (for some reason I was scared these might have sibilant highs, but actually found the highs very detailed and smooth).

Jun 22, 2013 at 5:28 AM Post #2,049 of 2,135
Shure SRH840 is my favorite closed back headphone. I also have the Sony MDR 1R ,and for me the SRH840 is the overall better headphone.
The sound quality is indeed very nice,with a good balance.They are not so neutral,the upperbass is a bit emphasized,making the sound a bit heavy sometimes (depending on the fit,ear size etc I guess).I have found a way to reduce this a bit,by rotating the earpads a bit forward.

Compared to the 1R,I found the shure to be a bit more balnced sounding,without the colored midrange of the sonys.Treble is also more crisp without being sibilant.Isolation is also a bit better,and there are no problems with wind and jack rattle like the 1R.Comfort is only a bit worst for me,but it's decent overall.Shure 840 is also a better value,costing 140 euro now in Greece,while the sony costs almost 200 euro.They'are just a bit big on the head,sony are nicer,more beautiful.

Fortunatelly,I don't have any build quality problems untill now.(almost 4 years regular use).The plastics make some cracking noises though,and they don't seem thay they could take hard use,to be honest.I'm carefull though and have no problems until now.

Jun 23, 2013 at 1:39 PM Post #2,050 of 2,135
Quote:
The 840 are not neutral, they are quite bassy. The 940 pads will reduce quite a lot of that bass though

As I stated in my previous post,I have found a way to reduce this bass emphasis a bit.

If someone finds the srh 840 a bit bass heavy,try rotating the earpads to a more forward position relative to the vertical axis.(at stock position the pads look a bit back,try rotate them to look a bit forward with similar angle)I believe that it has to do with the ear shape and size though,so maybe this will not make any difference for people with small ears.My ears are 6.5 mm and they don't stick out much,and this little trick helped a bit reducing the empasized upper/midbass.The sound didn't seem to change in any bad way other than that,and the isolation is still pretty good too.

I would like to hear your opinion if you try this and find it helped the sound balance.

Jul 1, 2013 at 6:58 AM Post #2,053 of 2,135
Hmmm kpop is mostly electronic music, hence I assume it needs some bass. I think I'll just get it, since i don't listen to just kpop. Listen to rock and metal too. 95 usd seems to be a very good deal to me..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back