SRH440 with SRH840 replacement pads: Any difference other than comfort?
May 26, 2011 at 2:33 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 2

gobs

New Head-Fier
I just purchased the SRH440 off a price match deal from Sam Ash ($67 after tax. Sweet!).  Overall, I'm content with the sound given the price I paid but there are two complaints I have about these cans.

1. Comfort.  I have relatively big ears, and the pads are very shallow.  When using these, my ears always touch the drivers, resulting in a lot of discomfort after a while, and the soundstage seems to be limited by this also. 

2.  Bass response.  I listen mostly to rock, and I'm pretty happy with how the drums are represented.  The kick drum and toms have nice detail and pleasing impact.  However, I find that the bass lines on many of the songs I listen to sound like they're hiding underneath.  They're there, but it's hard to pick them out from the mix. 

#1 is an issue which can be easily resolved by buying the replacement pads.  I've tried the 840s and the pads are indeed very comfortable.  So the question has more to do with #2.  I've read here and there that the SRH840 pads on the SRH440 gives a noticeable improvement in the lows.  Do you guys find this to be true?  Are there any other changes to the sound when the 840 pads are used on the 440? 

I'm wondering whether it's worth it to get the 840 pads or return these to upgrade possibly to the 840s or the ATH-M50s.  I did get these for their supposed neutrality to use for light mixing and tracking at night, but if I have a hard time picking out bass lines I may have to let them go. 

Btw, I have about 20hrs burnin on these so far. 

May 26, 2011 at 2:51 PM Post #2 of 2
Using 840 pads soundstage improves, and you have better isolation. Thats why i noticed.

If you're looking for bass, i think the M50's is a good way to go.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back