SR60i or MS1?
Aug 1, 2010 at 2:42 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 41

mralexosborn

Headphoneus Supremus
Read this before answering:

I can either get the SR60 (to see if I like the signature) and then later upgrade to the SR225. Or...
I can get the MS1 and be satisfied (hopefully).

So should I go and get the midrange model, or get the low end and upgrade later?

These will be my headphones for metal hopefully. 
biggrin.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:51 PM Post #3 of 41
I know. But supposedly the MS1 has less of the edgy Grado sound which may be nice to have with metal.
And the SR225 are a slight improvement compared to the MS1, therefore would not be worth upgrading (unless to the RS1i, oh no).

Aug 1, 2010 at 2:56 PM Post #4 of 41

Quote:
I know. But supposedly the MS1 has less of the edgy Grado sound which may be nice to have with metal.
And the SR225 are a slight improvement compared to the MS1, therefore would not be worth upgrading (unless to the RS1i, oh no).

yep, that's true

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:17 PM Post #6 of 41
I tried the MS-1's for a while,a bit to laid back for me,  sold them and kept my 80i's.If i were you i would get the 225i's and be happy for several years.Don't forget to delete Head-Fi from your bookmarks in case you get your RS-1's before you really need to...
tongue.gif

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #7 of 41
I've had both at once and the MS1 is a lot smoother sounding. Far less abrasive on the ears :wink:

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:24 PM Post #8 of 41
I think I may need a more abrasive 'phone for Metal and Hard Rock.
But then again I don't know if I would like the Grado sound, no matter how amazing the SR225 looks.

SR60 vs SR80 vs MS1 for a starter Grado, that is the question.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:31 PM Post #9 of 41
I'd still pick the MS1i as it's based off the SR-125, but has a smoother response. If you have not heard a Grado, the treble energy and sharpness of sound may be a unpleasant shock for you ears.

Here's what the SR-60i sounds like to me. The highs maybe very edgy to your ears as well as the mids to be clear and full. Treble is extended but can be very harsh to someone who has not heard them before. The mids sound excellent for guitars/vocals, but that's about it. Bass is also tight and impactful, but not thumpy or overbearing. One downside is that these have no soundstage at all, incredibly confined sounding but no closed in.

I'll tell you what, buy them MS1i's then if you don't like them, I'll buy them off you. I have no problem with have two of them :wink:

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:45 PM Post #11 of 41
Yeah they are superior for sure man. I'd rather go higher than start lower, then upgrade later.

Aug 1, 2010 at 3:54 PM Post #13 of 41
Quote:
I think I may need a more abrasive 'phone for Metal and Hard Rock.
But then again I don't know if I would like the Grado sound, no matter how amazing the SR225 looks.

SR60 vs SR80 vs MS1 for a starter Grado, that is the question.

Maybe it's just my own personal preference for a smooth sound showing through but I found the SR60is to be a bit too abrasive for metal and rock. The treble was just a bit too much. I haven't heard the MS1s yet but I'm anxious to see if they're the Grados I end up keeping. I liked the sound sig but it was just a little (too fatiguing) for me. I'd probably go for the MS1.

edit: And you've decided! Anyway good choice. Hope you like them.

Aug 1, 2010 at 6:57 PM Post #14 of 41
No. The MS1 with bowls is 95% of the 225. It took me night of a/b'ing to determine the differences. I ended up selling both the MS1 and 225, but will probably purchase another MS1 in the near future.

Quote:
Sure, if you buy them off me for retail...
Are the SR225's good enough to upgrade from the MS1 though?

Aug 1, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #15 of 41
Treble does not bother me at all. Just look, I have the SR-325is's and I get no ear pain. Well everyone is different, but yeah I can say that they are super bright for sure!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back