SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
Mar 16, 2013 at 4:53 AM Post #513 of 594
That is true, but if you ask and want to build one, I bet you could.
Not only that, the KGSSHV is on par with the best, and you could even build the DIY T2 (the very best) since the boards have been easily available.
And I know, the T2 was Stax, but the DIY improves on it.

Mar 16, 2013 at 7:49 AM Post #514 of 594
By the summertime I should have the BHSE and Electra to go along with my LL 1 and KGSS. I'll also be spending some time with the prototype LL 2, and if I hear an improvement over its predecessor there's a chance I'll upgrade. As it stands however I find the LL 1 to be a fantastic amp.

Really, the only 3rd party stat amp I've heard that I've didn't like was the Thunderbolt. The more I cranked it up, the more it sounded "wrong" to me. Haven't heard the WES yet, but I thought the GES was okay-ish with Lambdas (but preferred Stax's own amps).

I would be willing to allow Tyll time to measure my amps and do some follow-up impressions (especially with the Electra and potentially the production LL 2 added in to the mix). It would be a massive undertaking, but I think this is important for the hobby with stats becoming more popular than ever. Especially now that we've got newcomers who are vying for the top spot.

I'd also like to mention once again that my experience with Dr. Cavalli has been extremely positive. He has always answered my questions and has been nothing but upfront and forthright. It's not surprising to me that he would want his amps to be measured and the results to be published. Not sharing schematics and giving away boards for commercial products is pretty standard business practice. Dr. Cavalli has given a lot to the DIY community in the past, has many DIY designs. If anyone has paid his dues it's him.

Mar 16, 2013 at 10:59 AM Post #515 of 594
FWIW, I'm not sure I have the gear needed to measure stat amps. I'd have to talk with Kevin about it to see if there's some way to solder up a load that has voltage dividers in it to knock down the high voltages to something I could input into the Audio Precision. 

Open to the idea though.

Mar 16, 2013 at 11:10 AM Post #516 of 594
Done right, this measurement requires the appropriate high impedance high voltage probes.
active fet probes are better, but limited in voltage swing so you have to be careful.

The 200 kohm load used in this test is very much different from the impedance
of the actual headphones, which are basically the resistance of air, something
well past 10 meg.

I may have to ship tyll a pile of the right stuff to do this. Complete with zener protectors
for the audio precision. He does not want to blow that thing up, he won't like the repair
bill.

Mar 16, 2013 at 12:02 PM Post #517 of 594
Quote:
The 200 kohm load used in this test is very much different from the impedance
of the actual headphones, which are basically the resistance of air, something
well past 10 meg.

Wah!  Headphone manufacturers putting up pure fiction numbers, nooo.  Next you'll be telling me Grado RS-1s don't really go down to 12Hz :wink:

Mar 16, 2013 at 1:52 PM Post #518 of 594
Quote:
Complete with zener protectors for the audio precision.
He does not want to blow that thing up, he won't like the repair
bill.

Out.

Really, it's not worth it.

After listening to some of these amps with the 009, it seemed not too terribly difficult to evaluate these amps subjectively. And I'm not sure how much objective measurements are going to tell you.

Lemme know if I'm not thinking straight, Kevin.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:23 PM Post #520 of 594
Quote:
And I'm not sure how much objective measurements are going to tell you.

From a practical, real-life use standpoint, nothing really. After all, none of these amps are glaringly bad. The test would mostly be of interest to those who obsess with details, who need every bit of validation that their amp is the best of the best. Kind of irrelevant, if one is happy with the sonic performance of their amp. After all, no one would buy a Patek for its timekeeping prowess. Still, since there seems to be so much ill will directed by a vocal minority of head-fi posters towards certain amps it might be actually be informative to put all these devices on the same testbench and gather some metrics - duke it out and then move on 
bigsmile_face.gif

I'm just sick and tired of reading pontifications on flawed designs, distortion, wire with gain, open-sourcing, etc. And while I'm on a rant here, can someone please ask Cavalli to tone those LEDs down a bit? If I wanted a laser pointer I'd buy one separately.

Mar 16, 2013 at 2:53 PM Post #521 of 594
More measurements of the amps not built by stax while driving a pair of headphones would have been interesting. Though I understand not wanting to risk breaking an analyzer with a five digit price tag.

Mar 16, 2013 at 3:04 PM Post #524 of 594
Quote:

Wah!  Headphone manufacturers putting up pure fiction numbers, nooo.  Next you'll be telling me Grado RS-1s don't really go down to 12Hz :wink:

They definitely go down to 12 hz.  You did not specify the attenuation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back