SR009 / WES / BHSE / LL hit the mainstream
Aug 11, 2012 at 8:09 PM Post #166 of 594
To be honest, that review, as has been said here before, got the tonality of what the BHSE sounds like exactly opposite of what I have heard when I heard one on several occasions in small quiet meets.  Hence, whatever that person says is rubbish to me.

The guy at 6Moons consistently touts headphone stuff that sounds terrible, shall we follow him.  There are many vocal people here who talk up amps and other stuff that sounds like a** to me, shall we follow them.  As I said, to me, nothing means nothing until you hear something in your own system no matter what anyone says.

That's fine. I don't consider them the last word either. Heck I don't even read them most of the time. I completely understand wanting to ignore the BHSE and LL reviews from them. Like I've said over and over...preference will always win out.

He's a magician alright. He managed to repeatedly extract cash from my wallet.

This...twice now. I have never bought a Cavalli product blind and never plan to but I'll be damned if he hasn't gotten me on in home demoa TWICE.

And he does maintain it...magician though...not sure if his beard's long enough...

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:37 AM Post #167 of 594
Quote:
The  LL is a very nice sounding amp, but IMO it's not in the same league as the BHSE when it comes to looks and build quality. I have the BHSE to which I'm happy with in every way.

On looks and build alone, that is an understatement.  I went to pick it up and almost tossed the LL through the ceiling.  Very good transients.  
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:43 AM Post #168 of 594
We could put a big brick in the bottom to make it feel more substantial. :wink:

I don't think it looks or is built particularly poorly. It looks simple and while it's light it doesn't feel cheap. Simple looks are a plus for me, but I can understand people wanting something more extravagant in the price range.

Quote:

On looks and build alone, that is an understatement.  I went to pick it up and almost tossed the LL through the ceiling.  Very good transients.  
wink.gif

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:51 AM Post #169 of 594
Looks is purely subjective but the Chassis rings if you tap it and the pot does a delayed clunk which I presume is intentional?  Whether any of this matters is up to the buyer/user.  I'm one of those early folks that reported liking the LL+009 combo on sound/synergy alone.  Would I stack anything on the LL?  Hell no, that's just a fact about build.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:55 AM Post #170 of 594
Why would you stack anything on top of a solid state amp anyway? You wouldn't stack on the BH, right? :D

The rapping is a bit...annoying but as some pointed out with the LF...Unless you're adding it to your drum kit it doesn't particularly matter. Though I'll probably install a few pads on the edge of my chassis to avoid that. :wink:

Quote:
Looks is purely subjective but the Chassis rings if you tap it and the pot does a delayed clunk which I presume is intentional?  Whether any of this matters is up to the buyer/user.  I'm one of those early folks that reported liking the LL+009 combo on sound/synergy alone.  Would I stack anything on the LL?  Hell no, that's just a fact about build.

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:58 AM Post #171 of 594
Quote:
Why do people have to get this defensive of any one given product? Sachu goes on about Cavalli, David about his BHSE - can't we all agree that they are both great products? I don't recall any such furor when the praising review came out for the BHSE - no calls for measurements, no indicting of professional reviewers... until the LL happens to get some praise. Are people here THAT against the LL?

If it came down to SQ alone then I'd be very happy with either amp, but looks and build quality are as important to me as SQ is. 

Aug 12, 2012 at 12:59 AM Post #172 of 594
Quote:
Why would you stack anything on top of a solid state amp anyway? You wouldn't stack on the BH, right? :D

The BH is SS?  That's news.

My monitor is sitting on top of a Bryston BHA-1 which is on top of my PWD.  Did I do something wrong?  Are the police on the way?  
tongue_smile.gif

Edit - There is nothing on top of my Super 7 in case you were wondering.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:06 AM Post #173 of 594
No but that's my point. You're wanting to stack on one but not the other simply because one doesn't have tubes. The LL obviously needs its ventilation just like the BH's tubes do.

Monitor isn't too bad I suppose unless it covers say...the entire top of the amp. It's also totally different for an amp that uses it's case as a heatsink. 

Quote:

The BH is SS?  That's news.

My monitor is sitting on top of a Bryston BHA-1 which is on top of my PWD.  Did I do something wrong?  Are the police on the way?  
tongue_smile.gif

Edit - There is nothing on top of my Super 7 in case you were wondering.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:19 AM Post #176 of 594
Quote:
No but that's my point. You're wanting to stack on one but not the other simply because one doesn't have tubes. The LL obviously needs its ventilation just like the BH's tubes do.

Monitor isn't too bad I suppose unless it covers say...the entire top of the amp. It's also totally different for an amp that uses it's case as a heatsink. 

What's you point again?  That the LL doesn't have great build so you shouldn't stack things on it?  Oh if the LL could support it, I'd stack on the Mother.  The Bryston gets hotter (120F on the surface) and is designed as a singular heatsink.  It's a 27" monitor btw.  The Bryston also weighs about 4x's the weight and costs 1/4 the price of the LL and sits stable as a rock on the PWD which is also cheaper than the LL.  Were we talking about stacking on top of tubes or relative build quality?  There is no argument to be made saying the LL has exceptional build quality.  Again, people will decide if that matters or not to what they hear.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:28 AM Post #178 of 594
What?? 

My point was it's stupid to stack on something with a million vent holes (for a reason) in the top...

Build quality shouldn't enter into it...It needs ventilation and that's why you shouldn't stack on it...

One of the points I made was that because the Bryston is designed that way you can stack on it...Ventilation vs one big heatsink is completely different. 

Pretty sure build quality has noting to do with what you hear, either. :wink:

EDIT: You seem to be restating the points I made as...negatives against what I said...idgi. I am so confused...

Quote:

What's you point again? That the LL doesn't have great build so you shouldn't stack things on it?  Oh if the LL could support it, I'd stack on the Mother.  The Bryston gets hotter (120F on the surface) and is designed as a singular heatsink.  It's a 27" monitor btw.  The Bryston also weighs about 4x's the weight and costs 1/4 the price of the LL and sits stable as a rock on the PWD which is also cheaper than the LL.  Were we talking about stacking on top of tubes or relative build quality?  There is no argument to be made saying the LL has exceptional build quality.  Again, people will decide if that matters or not to what they hear.

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:34 AM Post #179 of 594
Quote:

Dude, there's 1/2 inch feet on the bottom of the BHA-1, big whoop.  Those holes aren't doing very much anyway the way they're designed. Without active air movement is just acting as an insulator with those holes.  Are there even holes in the bottom of the chassis to promote convection assuming there was any cool air there anyway?

Aug 12, 2012 at 1:37 AM Post #180 of 594
Why on earth are we still talking about the BHA-1...? Also, where are you getting 4x the weight of the LL? It (BHA-1 according to Dreq's specs) weighs 8 pounds...so unless the LL weighs 2 pounds I think we've got a problem.

I feel like one of us is talking about something completely different...

Quote:

Dude, there's 1/2 inch feet on the bottom of the BHA-1, big whoop.  Those holes aren't doing very much anyway the way they're designed. Without active air movement is just acting as an insulator with those holes.  Are there even holes in the bottom of the chassis to promote convection assuming there was any cool air there anyway?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back