SR-60s amplified
May 14, 2006 at 4:51 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

Vicious Tyrant

100+ Head-Fier
I've been kicking around the idea of getting nicer equipment for a while now, but other things keep appearing!

I'd like to pick up the Microstack, but I need to upgrade my portable source first.

My question is: I bought the SR-60s b/c I understood them to sound good without amplification. How much improvement would I hear from an amp in them?

May 14, 2006 at 6:22 PM Post #2 of 7
Most people don't bother to amplify SR-60's(or MS-1's), but I'll be watching this thread to find out whether it's even worth it to amp my MS-1's when I get them.

May 14, 2006 at 6:29 PM Post #3 of 7
Quote:

Originally Posted by Anarchy965
Most people don't bother to amplify SR-60's(or MS-1's), but I'll be watching this thread to find out whether it's even worth it to amp my MS-1's when I get them.

my ms-1s improved with a pa2v2.

however, the main reason i got the pa2v2 was so i could eventually get the emu 0404. without an amp, the 0404 wouldn't very good at all....

May 14, 2006 at 10:30 PM Post #4 of 7
From what I understand, if you have a nice source, its not as big a improvement. But if you are connected to a lil mp3 player most of the time like me, you will notice more detail especially at lower volume, plus play louder in general.

May 14, 2006 at 11:01 PM Post #5 of 7
my SR-60's sound noticeably better with some amps, with a fuller sound and much crisper bass, but I notice that this isn't so apparent with every different amplifier/source I've tried. Moreover it isn't the night and day difference you often get with less sensitive headphones, but it is there. The problem is that the cost of an amp would probably do less for you than if you just moved up the grado chain.

Or, since you're talking about something as expensive as a micro stack, you'd have plenty of money to get yourself a $200 amp and a pair of high-end headphones instead, maybe some K601 or HD600's. Then you'll still have the SR-60's for portable use or for when you just want that Grado sound.

May 14, 2006 at 11:05 PM Post #6 of 7
I amp all my grados. I havent heard an unamped source yet that sounds as good (note I didn't say "loud") as a dedicated amp. If nothing else, the coloration an amp can add to the mix adds to the system synnergy.

My favorite unamped source for Grados is a D335.

Its a very subjective thing though.

May 14, 2006 at 11:06 PM Post #7 of 7
I'm sure no matter how big the difference, an amplifier won't hurt.
icon10.gif

However cruddy my Yamaha amp is, I do think my SR-80s sound better with it. Although, it could just be the source.
rolleyes.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back