SR-507's - SRM323 a good match?
Dec 15, 2010 at 3:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 9

Jodet

1000+ Head-Fier
Would the SRM323 be a good match for the 507's?   Or is the five hundred dollar bump up to the tube SRM006 very much worth it?

I'm a little weary of tube maintenance, the occasionally noisy one, etc.   And did I read that the SRM006 needs to be opened up to bias the tubes?

I'm using an energizer now but am seriously thinking of setting up a dedicated headphone system in another room away from my main system.

Any comments on the 323 or 006 or Stax amps in general welcome.  I've done searches and haven't found a lot of 'base line' info on these amps.

Dec 15, 2010 at 11:22 PM Post #3 of 9
I don't know this amp but I seem to recall that the earlier versions, did not have as much voltage swing as the newest model. The Stax products page lists the current model, the SRM323S at 400 volts.   The earlier models were I believe much less, possibly only 300-330. The current tube SRM-006TS is shown at only 300 volts.  Just based on that difference I would favor the 323S since in my experience that additional voltage gives the phones better dynamics.  However I know even less about the Stax tube amps to say if there is any advantage to offset the lesser voltage.

Dec 17, 2010 at 5:08 PM Post #5 of 9

Quote:
We have hundreds, if not thousands of posts on Stax headphones and amps, but only two comments on the 323 amp? 

Well, I ordered one.   Should be here Monday. 

Indeed!

My guess is that even though most Stax headphone users have Stax amps, these amps do not have  great cachet compared to the more exotic and expensive after-market models such as the BHSE.  So it's hard to stand up and say anything really good about them because someone is going to reply that it isn't as good as other models.

The Stax tube amps get the least respect of the lot.  When I went to the Canajam at LA last year I could not find a single one on display although there were many Stax displays.

Among Stax transitor amps, only the old 717 and older SRM1Mk2  seem to get consistently good reports.  Both of these have fairly high voltage swing, the SRM1Mk2 has 370 and the 717 has 450 volts.

That said, I think the 323S will be at least as good as the SRM1Mk2 but give us your opinion.

Dec 17, 2010 at 9:34 PM Post #7 of 9
Solid state might be a better bet. There's once I listened to stax sr404le and O2 on 007tii for half an hour and i felt its not as good as my 727a amp,

Mar 21, 2011 at 10:05 AM Post #9 of 9
HI jodet or whoever has experience on sr507 + srm323s energizer. Im heading down this path.Heard d 2170 system lately and thought it sounded very good already. But read a sr507 review on headfi that this is not a fun sounding phone. I enjoy sound from the Beyer T1 and LCD2 and own both currently. Would u guys recommend getting the sr507 +srm323?Im hoping to achieve similar sound to 2170 but maybe at a higher resolution, better bass, same kind of midrange(not too prominent & not overly laidback), just as dynamic & fun sounding as 2170. What is the general consensus of sr507+srm323s sound? I audition the SR007A system also but found it underpowered by the 007t2 amp, and the sound is good and very smooth/neutral but a bit too laidback for my liking.Maybe im just not the tube guy.
Someone commented that the SR507 sounded fuller and more mature compared to 2170, anyone has any idea what mature describes here? Thanks for sharing. My first venture into stax, dont wanna make the wrong move and end up regretting.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back