SR-003 and SR-001 users question
Feb 22, 2004 at 7:48 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

pspivak

500+ Head-Fier
Hi,

I have had the Stax SR-003 for about 2 months and have really liked them. I have been using them with the supplied headband. I keep reading that they are an "in the canal" earphone, maybe like the Etymotic. Today I took the plunge and removed them from the headband, put the "medium" pad on the left one and the "large" on the right to compensate for ear canal size and put them on in to try them out.

All I can say is, "oh my gosh"! Bass is much better and highs appear to be more extended. Mids are as good as they have been in the past, nah -- they're better. Turning back to the ambda Pro's (1987 vintage) the SR-003's are better! I got out the credit card and placed the order for the SR-404's. I figure that the new 404's have to be better than the 17 y/o pro's (which may be just plain OLD now).

My question is have any of you tried sticking them in your ears (like an Etymotic) or am I the last to know?

Feb 22, 2004 at 10:57 PM Post #2 of 4
Not sure if you are or not but thats some very cool information! How do they hold up on your head with the headband ?

Oh BTW I recommend you get a new amp for the sr-404
wink.gif

Feb 23, 2004 at 4:38 AM Post #4 of 4
Hi,

1. They hold to the ears pretty well without the band. As long as I am sitting and not head banging too hard they are just fine. With the head band I need to focus them into the ear canal by rotating. I get a better experience with them in the canal, with out the headband, especially in the lows.

2. They do not have the isolation an Etymotic ER-6 (darn). I bought these to use on the train in the morning. These phones depend on volume to block out room noise. One advantage though is being that they are smaller than the lambda pros they do not leak as much.

3. As far as the amp goes, that will have to wait. I am saving up my pennies for an SRM-717.

Peter

Users who are viewing this thread

Back