Squeezebox 3 compares to which CDP/DAC?
Mar 20, 2007 at 3:28 AM Post #2 of 63
I A/B'd it pretty carefully against a HeadRoom Micro DAC and felt the two were at very much the same level, sounding very, very nearly identical into a Gilmore Lite and ER-4S's.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:31 AM Post #3 of 63
I compared my SB3 to my DIY Monica DAC and found that the Monica did just about everything better with the exception of the highest frequencies. Back to back comparisons of the two left me feeling that the SB3 was pretty deficient at bass extension and definition. I've never heard one modded but plan on modding mine in the not-too-distant future.
biggrin.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 4:06 AM Post #4 of 63
I have tried mine with three dacs - a entech number cruncher, a zhaolu d2c and a CIAudio VDA-2. To me the squeezebox sounded better to me then the entech, on par with the zhaolu (although I prefer the squeezebox) and even though I found the vda-2 to sound better, I ended up selling it because it wasn't enough to justify the price in my mind....hence I am looking for a new dac.

Also FWIW this was all tried with a Bolder modded elpac which in my mind makes a noticable improvement on the squeezebox's analog outs.

Mar 20, 2007 at 10:15 AM Post #5 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by happyangryhappy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have tried mine with three dacs - a entech number cruncher, a zhaolu d2c and a CIAudio VDA-2. To me the squeezebox sounded better to me then the entech, on par with the zhaolu (although I prefer the squeezebox) and even though I found the vda-2 to sound better, I ended up selling it because it wasn't enough to justify the price in my mind....hence I am looking for a new dac.

Also FWIW this was all tried with a Bolder modded elpac which in my mind makes a noticable improvement on the squeezebox's analog outs.

I've been shopping for a DAC for my SB3 which also has upgraded power supply (Power One linear) The VDA-2 was on my shortlist along with the Paradisea +but after reading this I'm questioning getting an external DAC altogether.

Mar 20, 2007 at 1:46 PM Post #6 of 63
I partner sb3 with citypulse 7.2x
the sound is definitely better than sb3 alone in bass and also midrange. the overall sound is more detailed and the dynamic range is wider

I have compared sb3+ citypulse 7.2x with Meridian 596 (dvd player). They are very much on par with each other. Comparing this combo with the analogue output of transporter, I cannot tell the difference between the two on some bass light music. On the passage of music where bass is present, the combo beats transporter's analogue output easily.

Mar 20, 2007 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 63
Quote:

I must admit that the VDA/2 is also on my short list along with SB3. I was thinking this would be a killer combo. Im sure it depends on individual taste and setup.

Mar 20, 2007 at 3:19 PM Post #8 of 63
The SB3 stock is comparable to an ipod SQ-wise IMO. Modded PSU would boost it's performance to an entry level CDP SQ. VDA-2 is a HUGE improvement, but keep in mind you need really good equipment down the chain to get the results I mentioned from the DAC, you need a good amp/set of cans. see my sig for more info.v

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:09 PM Post #9 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The SB3 stock is comparable to an ipod SQ-wise IMO.

Hmmm interesting - I would not have thought that

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:16 PM Post #10 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Turn&cough /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm interesting - I would not have thought that

Perhaps I should clarify - The stock SB3 sounds better than an iPod, but we're not talking significant differences. They both sound very flat (depth-wise) and although the SB3 has slightly better bass reproduction than an iPod, it isn't another league. I remember more SQ similarity b/w the 2 sources than disparity.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:23 PM Post #11 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by omendelovitz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Perhaps I should clarify - The stock SB3 sounds much better than an iPod, but we're not talking significant differences.

????????????

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:25 PM Post #12 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by hciman77 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
????????????

corrected.

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:38 PM Post #13 of 63
I bought a Squeezebox to use in the bedroom with headphones, but found out that its headphone output is mediocre. I got better sound from an Archos portable. After some research I bought a Benchmark DAC1 and have been delighted ever since. I haven't compared this combination to anything, but the sound quality is very good.
Computer --> Squeezebox --> DAC1 --> Shure E500 or Sennheiser HD25

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:42 PM Post #14 of 63
Quote:

Originally Posted by Lord Chaos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I bought a Squeezebox to use in the bedroom with headphones, but found out that its headphone output is mediocre. I got better sound from an Archos portable. After some research I bought a Benchmark DAC1 and have been delighted ever since. I haven't compared this combination to anything, but the sound quality is very good.
Computer --> Squeezebox --> DAC1 --> Shure E500 or Sennheiser HD25

Upgrade your cans and you'll experience a whole new dimension of what your system can do. since you like Shure/Senn, try some 650's. I really miss my 650's, but then again, my GS1k's compensate very nicely
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 20, 2007 at 5:54 PM Post #15 of 63
Quote:

A linear power supply would also make a noticable improvement from the SB's coaxial digital out as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back