SPL Phonitor X / Phonitor E impressions and Discussion thread
Jul 18, 2019 at 1:25 AM Post #196 of 1,054
After hearing this amazingly clean combination for months now, I can't get enough of it. So effortless yet detailed and engaging. Coming from tube amps and hybrids, it took me some time to appreciate just how good the amp is. Now, if I switch to a tube amp, it sounds musical but colorful and a little bit wrong.

IMG_20190717_222746.jpg

RME ADI-2 Pro FS → SPL Phonitor XE

Last edited:
Jul 18, 2019 at 11:03 AM Post #197 of 1,054
After hearing this amazingly clean combination for months now, I can't get enough of it. So effortless yet detailed and engaging. Coming from tube amps and hybrids, it took me some time to appreciate just how good the amp is. Now, if I switch to a tube amp, it sounds musical but colorful and a little bit wrong.

RME ADI-2 Pro FS → SPL Phonitor XE
I was just rocking out to my RME ADI-2DAC -> Phonitor XE -> ZMF Verite last night...which is telling because I just got in and setup my RAAL SR1A in yesterday...but I got lost in listening to the above combo...just clean/pure sound with just enough color by the Verite! I do you think I can give up my tubes but I definitely hit solid state endgame!

Jul 30, 2019 at 12:14 PM Post #203 of 1,054
No, good signal. Plus the input signal boost switch is on. I have contacted SPL multiple times and they have not responded!

That's strange. I've contacted them a couple of times in the past via the SPL Support ticket and received a reply overnight (time difference) on both occasions. https://support.spl.audio/submit-ticket/

Aug 15, 2019 at 3:44 AM Post #205 of 1,054
I was able to check out the Uber-DAC portion of the SPL Phonitor XE. In short, it's very good, but it's not versatile enough for me to warrant a recommendation for the DAC itself.

That said, The Phonitor XE is still my current favorite amp and I use it every day.

http://www.basshead.club/spl-phonitor-xe-uber-dac-review/

IMG_20190717_222746.jpg

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:16 AM Post #206 of 1,054
The SPL Phonitor E is supposed to sound the same as the more expensive ones. Found a refurb for less than $1200 shipped on Amazon from a dealer. Canceled my THX AAA 789 order on MD. Hoping for some Phonitor goodness soon. I did not need the Vu meters, and now I read that they might crap out.

Aug 17, 2019 at 7:31 PM Post #207 of 1,054
The SPL Phonitor E is supposed to sound the same as the more expensive ones. Found a refurb for less than $1200 shipped on Amazon from a dealer. Canceled my THX AAA 789 order on MD. Hoping for some Phonitor goodness soon. I did not need the Vu meters, and now I read that they might crap out.

I imagine the E is very close to the Phonitor 2. The X and XE have slightly bigger power caps and should allow for a little more dynamic swing, but it's likely unnoticeable. Also, those Vu meters "crapping out" were someone not realizing they were feeding it a quiet signal. Additionally, all things can crap out.

Aug 17, 2019 at 9:45 PM Post #208 of 1,054
Cancelled my THX 789 a few weeks ago as well due to reading about SPL Phonitor E and XE. Curious to hear what you think. I'll personally be pairing one with my RME-Adi 2 fs.

Aug 18, 2019 at 10:32 AM Post #209 of 1,054
Congratulations - I'am really satisfied with my Phonitor e :smile_phones:. However always remember the golden Rule: never unplug a single ended headphone when the volume is on - i blew mine up this way (the repair costed 120 EU, but SPL Customer Service was great), and now I'am more careful :wink: (and the single ended inputs and outputs do have better specs and do really sound better)

Cheers,
Marc

Aug 18, 2019 at 11:50 AM Post #210 of 1,054
However always remember the golden Rule: never unplug a single ended headphone when the volume is on - i blew mine up this way

Cheers,
Marc
Dang, this admittedly scares me about any of the phonitor equipment. I wonder if they have a repair facility in the USA?

If I purchased an E, X or XE I would be running it balanced most of the time, but I might want to plug my RS1i or even 225 (both single ended) in just for fun once in a while. Sounds like it's a scary experience lol. As in the old westerns where some guy is carrying a liquid explosive and sweating thinking it will blow at any moment.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back