SPL Phonitor Impressions Thread
Aug 2, 2009 at 5:54 AM Post #16 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by feifan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ical, I wonder if I should mask part of my S/N, too. Possible harm from posting it?

I'm going to take my time and check out your different setting and read up on your equipment. You have an amazing lineup!

I'm finding that tweaking the presentation like this makes a qualitative difference. If the recording is good to begin with but not very interesting, tweaking the angles changes the presentation and makes them different, fun. But this takes time and patience. I guess with experience the process will become more natural, easier, like not having to think went moving up and down the gears on a motorcycle.

Good idea. I'll add mine as an edit in the next hour or so. [edit: see the op for links to photos]

BTW, I'd like to get a PS1000, too -- someday when I can afford it. With the Phonitor, how is it in comparison to the HD800?

Usually I try not to show in case of any warranty issue. Just to play safe.

You're right, after owning it for some time, tweaking the setting has becomes an instant response. Haha! I do feel that I'm a sound engineer! Controlling those like second natural. Don't think I can live with another amp now, having to stick to it's presentation for poor recording.

Thanks. Love them very much. Took me some time build this ideal system of mine. Especially the ED8 and PS1000 that comes in very limited numbers here. While HD800 is widely available which I got it as a gift. I'm never a Senn person due to their veil sound but HD800 changes my perception completely. It sound very neutral and transparent with a huge soundstage. Bass is good and well balance without overwhelming. I've yet to encounter those cons that I read about it here. Maybe it matches Phonitor well.

As compare to HD800, PS1000 is more dynamic with deeper and stronger bass. It a fun cans that's very enjoyable to listen to. It can takes all kinds of trash and still sound good. However, it still can be as graceful when listening to smooth jazz especially listening to double bass, the sound is to die for! It a big leap from GS1000 which I previously own. I would say HD800 is more formal while PS1000 is a party animal. Both compliment each other.

Lastly, ED8 has excellent mid and imaging, tight bass, dark background, wide soundstage. It doesn't sound like a closed cans to me at all! I like this cans best for acoustic. With it, I can hear every single string and note. However, it'll be a problem in getting the right fit if you've a big ears. I believe it's cups are made smaller for better isolation.

As you can see, I like all of them. I'll spilt hair to tell which is the best. Each has their advantage and different presentation. None of them will go wrong for me.

You've a nice system there too. I like the size of your cdp and dac that matches it well! Wish to own the Nagra CDP but the price is a killer.

Aug 2, 2009 at 9:42 AM Post #17 of 706
Quote:

Man, I love those equipment stands! What kind of wood? They look like a matching pair.

ar.. the Hi-Fi rack is Guizu (same as ical
wink_face.gif
)
Natural walnut.
Audio furniture - Nobility

the platforms are -
Sound Mechanics Qx1
playStereo Audio Shop | Sound Mechanics Qx1 Mechanical Platform

Taoc SCB-RS35G -
With a compact cast-iron core sandwiched between layers of high density particleboard.
http://http://www.taoc.gr.jp/taoc/scb_rs.html

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:37 PM Post #19 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by ical /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Usually I try not to show in case of any warranty issue. Just to play safe.

You're right, after owning it for some time, tweaking the setting has becomes an instant response. Haha! I do feel that I'm a sound engineer! Controlling those like second natural. Don't think I can live with another amp now, having to stick to it's presentation for poor recording.

I have a feeling the Phonitor's flexible soundstaging is the next step for head-fi amping, an expansion on the crossfeed idea. It sets a new standard, and others will probably either develop their own versions or, more than likely, purchase/lease the technology from SPL.

Quote:

Thanks. Love them very much. Took me some time build this ideal system of mine. Especially the ED8 and PS1000 that comes in very limited numbers here. While HD800 is widely available which I got it as a gift. I'm never a Senn person due to their veil sound but HD800 changes my perception completely. It sound very neutral and transparent with a huge soundstage. Bass is good and well balance without overwhelming. I've yet to encounter those cons that I read about it here. Maybe it matches Phonitor well.

As compare to HD800, PS1000 is more dynamic with deeper and stronger bass. It a fun cans that's very enjoyable to listen to. It can takes all kinds of trash and still sound good. However, it still can be as graceful when listening to smooth jazz especially listening to double bass, the sound is to die for! It a big leap from GS1000 which I previously own. I would say HD800 is more formal while PS1000 is a party animal. Both compliment each other.

I was afraid of that. LOL! So the PS1000 has all the strengths of the GS1K but none of its weaknesses. Do you think Grado's use of the metal casing over the wood makes the difference -- combining the warmth of wood and the rigidity of metal to keep the dynamics intact in roll-offs at both extremes of range?

Quote:

Lastly, ED8 has excellent mid and imaging, tight bass, dark background, wide soundstage. It doesn't sound like a closed cans to me at all! I like this cans best for acoustic. With it, I can hear every single string and note. However, it'll be a problem in getting the right fit if you've a big ears. I believe it's cups are made smaller for better isolation.

I have an irrational bias against closed cans so I haven't really looked at any. But if I do, it'll be the ED8. A dumb question: With closed cans, do your ears begin to perspire during long sessions?

Quote:

As you can see, I like all of them. I'll spilt hair to tell which is the best. Each has their advantage and different presentation. None of them will go wrong for me.

Yeah, that's about the size of it. In the end, no one setup can meet all our musical needs, i.e., unless we stick to only one genre. If you like rock, R&B, classical, jazz, pop, alternative, folk, whatever, then you're going to end up with a suite of different cans and amps, and they can be roughly divided into analytical and warm. In your case, I think you have the best cans for each: HD800 for analytical and PS1000 for warmth. For analytical amps, I think the Phonitor may be among the best.

Quote:

You've a nice system there too. I like the size of your cdp and dac that matches it well! Wish to own the Nagra CDP but the price is a killer.

Thanks. My space is limited so it all has to fit on my desk. The CDP is the Shanling PCD300A, which is inexpensive but has a small footprint and fits my needs. These components are deeper so they take up more space on the right side of my desk. Now I don't know where to place my coffee mug.

Aug 2, 2009 at 4:45 PM Post #20 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidult /img/forum/go_quote.gif
ar.. the Hi-Fi rack is Guizu (same as ical
wink_face.gif
)
Natural walnut.
Audio furniture - Nobility

the platforms are -
Sound Mechanics Qx1
playStereo Audio Shop | Sound Mechanics Qx1 Mechanical Platform

Taoc SCB-RS35G -
With a compact cast-iron core sandwiched between layers of high density particleboard.
http://http://www.taoc.gr.jp/taoc/scb_rs.html

Thanks for the links, Kidult. I visited all of them. The URL for the last didn't work somehow, but I found the taoc site using a truncated version of the address. Truly beautiful furniture for audio equipment. Definitely out of my league, though. What little I have for this hobby goes into the basic equipment. Unfortunately, nothing's left for the extras like cabinets and tables. Those pointy feet look great, but they must rest on something to protect the surface underneath. Or do they?

Are you primarily into head-fi or are you also into full-blown speaker setups? If both, do find that 'phones are better than speakers? Or is it the other way around? Just curious.

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:06 PM Post #21 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundinista /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Congrats, Feifan, on getting the Phonitor! It looks grand! How does it mate with your GS1000?

beerchug.gif

Thanks, Soundinista. The HD800 in this setup has been phenomenal so I haven't done much listening with my other cans. I did some testing with the GS1K, but the results were so-so. The full mids from 250Hz to 4kHz were extraordinarily good, but bass sounded boomy and flabby and the highs, IIRC, one dimensional. This result, though, could have been caused by poor quality recordings. Like the HD800, the Phonitor seems to be unforgiving, revealing weaknesses in tracks that I thought were great. At first, I thought the fault was with the amp, but I'm beginning to realize that the quality of a lot of my favorite recordings really isn't that good.

BTW, Ical (see above) is having great results with the PS1K.

How do you like the GS1Ki?

Aug 2, 2009 at 5:13 PM Post #22 of 706
Quote:

I was afraid of that. LOL! So the PS1000 has all the strengths of the GS1K but none of its weaknesses. Do you think Grado's use of the metal casing over the wood makes the difference -- combining the warmth of wood and the rigidity of metal to keep the dynamics intact in roll-offs at both extremes of range?

Yes, you're right. I believe it's hybrid design(metal and wood) play a very important role in the improvement. Most of my audiophile friends who are into hifi actually prefer it over HD800 as they feel that HD800 can sound a little boring due to it's neutral characteristic.

Quote:

I have an irrational bias against closed cans so I haven't really looked at any. But if I do, it'll be the ED8. A dumb question: With closed cans, do your ears begin to perspire during long sessions?

You should really listen to ED8, it'll change your perception about closed cans. I've yet to have problem of heat building in the cans thought it can be a little warm for long period of time. But it doesn't really bother. Maybe the air-conditioning in my room does help.

Quote:

Yeah, that's about the size of it. In the end, no one setup can meet all our musical needs, i.e., unless we stick to only one genre. If you like rock, R&B, classical, jazz, pop, alternative, folk, whatever, then you're going to end up with a suite of different cans and amps, and they can be roughly divided into analytical and warm. In your case, I think you have the best cans for each: HD800 for analytical and PS1000 for warmth. For analytical amps, I think the Phonitor may be among the best.

That's the reason why I've three cans instead of one. Cos none is perfect. For me, the Phonitor is an ideal amp to match as it's very neutral without adding coloration so characteristic of the cans are maintain in their own way.

Quote:

Thanks. My space is limited so it all has to fit on my desk. The CDP is the Shanling PCD300A, which is inexpensive but has a small footprint and fits my needs. These components are deeper so they take up more space on the right side of my desk. Now I don't know where to place my coffee mug.

You need a proper audio rack to make space for your mug.
atsmile.gif

Aug 3, 2009 at 8:13 AM Post #23 of 706
Thanks, Ical. If I get the chance, I'll listen to the Ed8. But the looks don't appeal to me. Too blocky? Closed? Dunno. But if it sounds great, it'll probably begin to look good, too.

I'm definitely interested in the PS1000, but my guess is that I won't like it as much as the HD800 precisely because I prefer the more analytical, neutral sound. I don't mind coloration and look for it at times, but crystal clear resolution gets to me every time.

Right now, the cost of these two is prohibitive so I'll just have to stand back for a while. But even if I suddenly had some funds, I'm not sure if I'd go in the PS1000 or Ed8 direction. Now that I have the HD800, I'm interested in seeing what else is coming down the pike in terms of SS amps. I'm also going to stick with SE. I don't think we're anywhere close to the end of improvements and innovations in SE design, and this is where mainstream developers seem to be focusing their efforts.

The coming months and years should be exciting now that the "new generation" 'phones and amps are beginning to emerge. Probably the most important thing any headfire can do is stash some bucks in anticipation of the new stuff that'll be appearing in a heady stream from this point on.

Re a shelf: I'll be hunting for a small shelf that will accommodate the Phonitor and related equipment: roughly 12"W x 18"H x 16"L with shelves about 7"H. I want the back to be completely open and the sides to be somewhat open, too. This is actually an odd sized shelf that might look weird if not exactly right.

Aug 3, 2009 at 10:43 AM Post #24 of 706
Quote:

Yes, I should've added the Auditor. It's nearly identical to the Phonitor. A lot of people don't need or want the speaker angle features, and the Auditor/Phonitor's amp, on its own, is justification enough for the purchase. Thanks!

Hehe. ^.^ Yup! I didn't want to pay twice as much for the crossfeed function. I kinda like the soundstage you get from no crossfeed anyway.

Aug 3, 2009 at 11:53 AM Post #25 of 706
Could anybody with HD650 tell me how good it is with Phonitor/Auditor? I can money wise buy Auditor. I also plan to upgrade my DAC - Meier Audio StageDAC which will have new and reportedly fancy Jan Meier crossfeed feature I hope I'll be better off with this combo.

Aug 3, 2009 at 1:27 PM Post #26 of 706
Quote:

Thanks for the links, Kidult. I visited all of them. The URL for the last didn't work somehow, but I found the taoc site using a truncated version of the address. Truly beautiful furniture for audio equipment. Definitely out of my league, though. What little I have for this hobby goes into the basic equipment. Unfortunately, nothing's left for the extras like cabinets and tables. Those pointy feet look great, but they must rest on something to protect the surface underneath. Or do they?

Are you primarily into head-fi or are you also into full-blown speaker setups? If both, do find that 'phones are better than speakers? Or is it the other way around? Just curious.

Oh, try this,
TAOC | Sibatech, inc. High-quality Audio Equipment from Japan

those underneath plates are idea to use with pointy feet (spikes). they are effective in reducing and controlling vibrations as well as to prevent damage to your rack/furniture.

I started with speaker setup. For some reasons, I have to give up speakers and compromise on phones….

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:36 PM Post #27 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by argentum /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Could anybody with HD650 tell me how good it is with Phonitor/Auditor? I can money wise buy Auditor. I also plan to upgrade my DAC - Meier Audio StageDAC which will have new and reportedly fancy Jan Meier crossfeed feature I hope I'll be better off with this combo.

Hi, Argentum. I've tested the Phonitor with all my cans, and the Senns (HD800 and HD650) synergize best. I really like the 650 with the Phonitor, and I'm currently using this lineup for this quick test:

CDP > coax > DL3 > XLR bal > Phonitor > Cardas > HD650

The 650 veil disappears, and the clarity and resolution is amazing. It's only when I compare it to the 800 that I sense a slight darkness. The darkness comes across as a smaller soundstage, but to put this in perspective, the 800's soundstage is HUGE. The smaller soundstage also makes the 650 more intimate, warmer.

I usually listen with computer as transport and the Phonitor+800 reveals the poor quality of about half of my favorite recordings. The Phonitor+650 is much more forgiving and the poor recordings sound fine.

The Phonitor+650 is very natural and easy to listen to for very long periods of time. The Phonitor has given me a new appreciation for the 650 as a dynamic and warm 'phone.

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #28 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by EugeneK /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hehe. ^.^ Yup! I didn't want to pay twice as much for the crossfeed function. I kinda like the soundstage you get from no crossfeed anyway.

EugeneK, there's nothing shabby about the Auditor's audio specs. Here they are in comparison to the Phonitor's:

Auditor:
Frequency Response: ‹5 Hz to ›200 kHz (-3 dB)
CMR:-80 dBu (@1 kHz, 0 dBu input level and unity gain)
Crosstalk: -84 dB (@1kHz)
THD: 0,001 % (@ 1kHz, 0 dBu input level and unity gain)
Noise: -97 dBu (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range: 129 dB (@ 600 Ohms Impedance)

Phonitor:
Frequency Response: ‹10Hz to ›200kHz (-3dB)
CMR:-80dBu (@1kHz, 0dBu input level and unity gain)
Crosstalk: -67dB (@1kHz)
THD: 0,005% (@ 1kHz, 0dBu input level and unity gain)
Noise: -97dBu (A-weighted)
Dynamic Range: 129,5dB (@ 600 Ohms Impedance)

Aug 3, 2009 at 6:51 PM Post #29 of 706
Good to hear that. What about your K701 and GS1000? My current amp has actually pretty good synergy with Senns too, but with K501 it sounds OK-ish , but nothing spectacular. I want to try decent solid state amp and it should spec wise have the power output that my AKG needs.

Aug 3, 2009 at 7:00 PM Post #30 of 706
Quote:

Originally Posted by kidult /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Oh, try this,
TAOC | Sibatech, inc. High-quality Audio Equipment from Japan

those underneath plates are idea to use with pointy feet (spikes). they are effective in reducing and controlling vibrations as well as to prevent damage to your rack/furniture.

I started with speaker setup. For some reasons, I have to give up speakers and compromise on phones….

kidult, thanks! This link works great. I noticed the plates under the spikes in your setup. I see what you mean by the special construction of the boards. I had no idea audiophile furniture had come this far. It's almost as high-tech as audio components!

Re having to give up speakers -- is this why you went for the Phonitor? To get some of SQ control that speakers gave you?

Aside from cheap computer speakers, I've never gotten into speakers. I enjoy headphones a lot and feel as though I'm getting into my music in ways that live performances can't match.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back