Speaker upgrade, worthwhile?
Mar 30, 2010 at 8:11 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

_Spanky_

500+ Head-Fier
This isn't necessarily a "what's better than my current setup" thread, more of a "are these better than my current setup". I currently have a very unflattering Logitech Z3 system that is ok for the amount that I use it since I got it for a good price. However, I recently saw in my local Craigslist that someone posted up a pair of JBL 6.5" bookshelf speakers (image below). I know they are passive and the Z3 system I have is active but I will be getting an amp in the future that doubles as a power amp that I think I would be able to hook these speakers to. The amp I will be getting will have a 30watt x 2 output.

Questions:
Would the JBL speakers be better?
How much should I pay for them?
Is the power from the amp I'm getting too much or too little?

Pictures:
http://clbyimac.dyndns.org/images/cr...speakers-2.jpg
http://clbyimac.dyndns.org/images/cr...speakers-3.jpg

Thanks.

Mar 30, 2010 at 9:54 PM Post #2 of 13
JBL has some really cheap consumer speakers, some decent entry level speakers and some very good mid range speakers. From a quick look I'm guessing these fall under the first category based on the look of the cabinet and the generally sharp corner, flat design. A model number, and pic with grill off will help immensely. I cant quite say if these will be any better without more info or pics.

Mar 30, 2010 at 10:02 PM Post #3 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by jilgiljongiljing /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A model number, and pic with grill off will help immensely.

Alright, thanks for the response. I will try to get some more info
smily_headphones1.gif

*EDIT*
Picture of backside (also added to the original post):
http://clbyimac.dyndns.org/images/cr...speakers-3.jpg

Apr 1, 2010 at 7:30 PM Post #4 of 13
I'd agree with jilg..ing, still more information is needed. Can you get a pic with the grill off? Model number? Retail price and age? They look cheap, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are.

As for the amp, 30W should be plenty for nearfield. Remember that hearing is logarithmic - to get a perceived doubling in volume you need 10x the power. A 100W amp can only get 2x as loud as a 10W amp and a 1000W amp can only get 4x as loud as a 10W amp. So even though something like 10W seems very low (in comparison to 200W amps etc), it can still drive many speakers quite well.

Apr 1, 2010 at 10:49 PM Post #5 of 13
Yea, they do look cheap. I am still waiting on an answer about specs and new pictures. I did add a shot of the back but it's kind of covered by wall mounts and you can't really read anything. While they don't look high-end, neither are my Logitech Z3
smily_headphones1.gif
With both, I'm sure there's plenty of room to move up but, just a rough guess, which would be less crappy?

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:00 PM Post #6 of 13
I personally wouldn't do it. Without a model number and several reviews, the potential loss outweighs the potential gain. Though I may be biased because I blindly bought a pair of speakers from Craigslist (one that doesn't have reviews up anywhere) and they were not great.

Apr 1, 2010 at 11:40 PM Post #7 of 13
Quote:

Originally Posted by LingLing1337 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I personally wouldn't do it. Without a model number and several reviews, the potential loss outweighs the potential gain. Though I may be biased because I blindly bought a pair of speakers from Craigslist (one that doesn't have reviews up anywhere) and they were not great.

GREAT ADVICE!!!!!save your money for something that will fit "IN" with your Stuff you already have...IMO

Apr 2, 2010 at 12:31 AM Post #9 of 13
Not really... 9Pin kinda helped me articulate it there, save up for something that you want in your rig, or something that will match up well. It may seem like a quick cheap upgrade, but that $20 could go to something else, part of an amp, part of a better pair of speakers, or if you DIY, some real nice interconnects (if you need them.)

I assume you DIY since it says DIY cables in your sig, so you could get a MultiMeter or Helping Hands or something else that would help you in that area. Or, spend it on mods. Really there are quite a few options I'd consider before buying a pair of speakers I know little about, at least now that I've been burned in that exact scenario
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 2, 2010 at 2:20 AM Post #10 of 13
Ha, yea I DIY and I need a helping hands
smily_headphones1.gif
I think I'll pass since I'm pretty sure he's ignoring me now since he was quick to reply to my first 2 emails and now it's been two days. Maybe when I get itching to upgrade, I'll make another post about what speakers WOULD be better than mine but still cheap. Thanks for the advice everyone
smily_headphones1.gif

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:15 PM Post #11 of 13
Theyre definately worth $20, but dont wall-mount rear-ported speakers or they will usually sound boomy. YMMV

Apr 3, 2010 at 7:22 PM Post #12 of 13
Cheap SubWoofer- Audio Pro - Evidence MKII - Subwoofer-Audio Advisor

Cheap Bookshelves but decent - PSB - Alpha B1 - Bookshelf Speakers-Audio Advisor

Or forget a sub/sat system and get these towers - PSB - Image T65 - Tower Speaker-Audio Advisor

I havent heard any of these, but they get good reviews and are well known.
The sub wont shake a room, but its cheap and works.
The bookshelves and towers are well rated, the sub is just inexpensive and the cheapest "ok" sub i can find right now just to augment the bookshelves.

Heres another tower thats cheap but supposed to be decent for the price - http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=ATLS300

Apr 3, 2010 at 9:49 PM Post #13 of 13
Drag0n, I appreciate the advice. I think the seller either sold them to someone else or doesn't want to deal with me. My $20 can go elsewhere. I don't particularly blast speakers but whenever I don't want to use my headphones, I use them. I was just curious about a cheap (sub $50 really) "upgrade". When it comes to detail, I'm more of a headphones guy. Also, no offense, but those speakers or subwoofer aren't cheap to me
smily_headphones1.gif
I would much rather put that into my computer or a new pair of headphones. I was actually thinking of wall mounting them just to save desk space.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back