Speaker that sounds most like DT880?
Aug 22, 2007 at 1:07 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

BradJudy

500+ Head-Fier
After trying several different headphones, I really clicked with the DT880 and enjoy them greatly. I own nice speakers (currently Ascend Acoustic Sierra-1's) and have heard a lot (I go to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest each year), but I'm curious to hear what people think are the speakers closest in sound to the DT880's.

I'm not looking to replace my speakers, so don't PM me with offers or anything, but I'll keep my eye out for the ones mentioned at this year's RMAF to listen to.

Aug 24, 2007 at 4:43 PM Post #3 of 5
I'm confused by your question, because the impact of the room and placement could make a bigger difference in the sound than the speaker itself.

Maybe if you specified what aspects of the DT880 sound you would like in a speaker, then someone could make a recommendation.

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:07 PM Post #4 of 5
If I bought speakers that sounded like headphones, I'd take them back to the store and ask for my money back!

See ya
Steve

Aug 24, 2007 at 5:41 PM Post #5 of 5
Quote:

Originally Posted by BradJudy /img/forum/go_quote.gif
After trying several different headphones, I really clicked with the DT880 and enjoy them greatly. I own nice speakers (currently Ascend Acoustic Sierra-1's) and have heard a lot (I go to the Rocky Mountain Audio Fest each year), but I'm curious to hear what people think are the speakers closest in sound to the DT880's.

I'm not looking to replace my speakers, so don't PM me with offers or anything, but I'll keep my eye out for the ones mentioned at this year's RMAF to listen to.

Well, if you're after the DT-880s matched drivers, midrange transparency and detail, soundstaging and layering, extended treble and articulate but (IMHO) not-so-deep bass, you might be interested in a top-shelf mini-monitor with something approaching a 50hz rolloff. Gneralizing wildly, Harbeths have a very see-through midrange with wonderful clarity; Spendors are a touch warmer; ProcAcs very precise and dynamic; Quads a little fuller and there's probably at least 10 others speakers from other high-end manufacturers that would fit the bill. None of the speakers mentioned are cheap, exactly, but any ought to provide a pretty high level of musicality, in line with what you're getting from the Beyers.

best,

o

Users who are viewing this thread

Back