Speaker set up help
Dec 31, 2013 at 9:54 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 21

philonewbie

Head-Fier
Hi all,
I need help to connect my tv, blue ray player, laptop(hdmi) to yamaha home theatre system with av recvr.
My samsung plasma tv dsnt hv ARC.
Will an optical cable from av recvr to tv solve the issue? Will i get 5.1 sound or only 2 speakers in front ll b active? Pls help me fix this.

Dec 31, 2013 at 10:41 AM Post #2 of 21
Hi,

Well your Blu Ray player should have an Optical Out connector which can be used to send up to 7.1ch to your receiver. Now your TV should also have an Optical Out connector which will deliver up to 7.1 or 5.1ch to your receiver. 

If you are still stuck then just send over the models of the TV, blu ray player and receiver.

Jan 1, 2014 at 2:39 AM Post #3 of 21
In the case of my Samsung LCD it only sends two channel from it's optical out. Copy protection stuff I believe. Check your manual but yours is probably the same if a relatively recent model. Could help a bit more if you indicated what connections your AVR, TV and other equipment has.

In general, if you want video and sound you can go HDMI directly from the devices to your TV although this will limit you to your stereo TV. That's okay if your source is two channel (e.g. laptop) unless you want the higher quality of your AVR.

If you want surround and video you can go a couple ways: 

1. If your AVR has HDMI connections connect your HDMI device outputs to HDMI AVR inputs, connect the (likely) single HDMI out from your AVR to you TV. Control source selection via the AVR and listen through the AVR. Simple

2. If you want kind of a hybrid setup or don't have enough HDMI or don't always want surround there are some other possibilities.

I'm assuming your TV has at least two or three HDMI inputs. Hook the "part-time surround" devices directly to the TV via HDMI. Connect their auxiliary SOUND outputs to the AVR. For example your BDP likely has optical out, or maybe coax out. Connect that to the AVR (as well as the HDMI direct to TV). When you want surround, turn on your AVR and select appropriate input there for full surround (and also correct HDMI input on TV). I do this with my cable box. Don't always want or need surround so HDMI from cable box to TV and DIGITAL COAX from cable box to AVR.

If unclear provide your equipment for better answer.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:22 AM Post #4 of 21
thanx for the response.

my samsung tv is PS42B450B1D

samsung blue ray player BD-F6500

HOME THEATRE - YAMAHA yht299..

I have connected blue ray player to av receiver thru hdmi.

hdmi output from receiver to tv input via hdmi . my tv dsnt support ARC....

i get 5.1 sound wen i play dvds.

but for tv, i get sound only from front speakers.

if i get optical cable n connect tv to av receiver. will i get 5.1 sound?

also what shd i do to get 5.1 sound wen i connect my laptop via hdmi to tv to watch online content?/

pls suggest.

Jan 1, 2014 at 4:13 AM Post #5 of 21
So you're good to go for DVD/BD. Great.

What's your source for TV? Cable box via HDMi or Coax from wall? Somehow sound from whatever you're watching on TV must go through your AVR and AVR connected speakers for surround. If cable box connecting via HDMI to your AVR will get you there. If via coax straight from wall a just a bit more to do.

Here's what I was talking about from as described from your manual:

Listening through a Receiver (Home theater)
You can listen to sound through a receiver instead of the TV speaker.
1. Press the TOOLS button. Press the ENTER button to select Anynet+ (HDMI-CEC).
2. Press the ▲ or ▼ button to select Receiver. Press the ◄ or ► button to select On or Off.
 - If your receiver supports audio only, it may not appear in the device list.
 - The receiver will work when you have properly connected the Optical IN jack of the 
   receiver to the Optical Out jack of the TV.
 - When the receiver (home theater) is set to On, you can hear sound output from the 
   TV’s Optical jack. When the TV is displaying a DTV(air) signal, the TV will send out 5.1 
   channel sound to the Home theater receiver. When the source is a digital component 
   such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver.

-  When listening through the receiver, there are restrictions for using the audio-related menus

For your laptop just connect via HDMI to your AVR. If laptop is outputting surround it will work with your receiver.

Jan 1, 2014 at 8:10 AM Post #7 of 21
Ohh thank u soo much. I guess i need to buy optical to connect tv to receiver.

I really want to get 5.1 sound when i watch movies on laptop connected to tv via hdmi.
I hope this optical cable fixes evrything in one go.

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:39 PM Post #8 of 21
I'm not sure you understand. If you read the excerpt from the manual it says specifically: When the source is a digital component such as a DVD and is connected to the TV via HDMI, only 2 channel sound will be heard from the Home Theater receiver (i.e via the TV's optical output).

So anything you have connected through the AVR (which is connected via HDMI to your TV) WILL NOT OUTPUT 5.1 through the TV's optical output. Like I said in earlier post: connect laptop to your Yamaha AVR via HDMI then switch to that input on your AVR to get surround assuming your source (laptop) is outputting 5.1. 

Jan 1, 2014 at 3:56 PM Post #9 of 21
Hi all,
I need help to connect my tv, blue ray player, laptop(hdmi) to yamaha home theatre system with av recvr.
My samsung plasma tv dsnt hv ARC.
Will an optical cable from av recvr to tv solve the issue? Will i get 5.1 sound or only 2 speakers in front ll b active? Pls help me fix this.

All source devices (Blu-ray player & laptop) should be running HDMI cable from the source device to the Yamaha YHT-299, then running HDMI from the YHT-299 to the Samsung TV.
Set the Blu-ray player to output PCM (or LPCM).
Make sure the laptops audio setting are set to output "speaker" (not headphone) and set Audio channel to 5.1 (6-channel).
Should not need to use any S/PDIF optical connections.

Jan 1, 2014 at 5:47 PM Post #11 of 21
Oh ok. Am really new to all this hence am nt able to understand properly.
Am trying to follow as per the suggestions from u guys.

Thanks a lot guys.....

HDMI is the only way to carry full Blu-ray audio from the Blu-ray player to a receiver or TV.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:29 PM Post #12 of 21
am actually good to go with the blue ray player.  blue ray to av receiver -- av receiver to tv via hdmi

played avatar, gt 5.1 sound.

wen i switch over to tv enable external speakers on tv, no sound. 

on the av receiver , shd i plug in hdmi in the 4 port hdmi pass thru from tv?

my set up is this- correct me if am wrong which am sure will be ....

blue ray- av recvr-tv hdmi. 

hdmi output av recvr- tv hdmi input1

from blue ray all ok. 

from tv no sound. 

is any hdmi missing to be plugged in?

there r 3 hdmi ports for output on tv.

2 hdmi inputs on tv.

4 hdmi pass thru on yamaha av receiver. 1 hdmi output on receiver.

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:34 PM Post #13 of 21
  I'm actually good to go with the blue ray player.  blue ray to av receiver -- av receiver to tv via hdmi
played avatar, gt 5.1 sound.
When I switch over to tv enable external speakers on tv, no sound. 
on the av receiver , shd i plug in hdmi in the 4 port hdmi pass thru from tv?
my set up is this- correct me if am wrong which am sure will be ....
blue ray- av recvr-tv hdmi. 
hdmi output av recvr- tv hdmi input1
from blue ray all ok. 
from tv no sound. 
is any hdmi missing to be plugged in?
there r 3 hdmi ports for output on tv.
2 hdmi inputs on tv.
4 hdmi pass thru on yamaha av receiver. 1 hdmi output on receiver.

So your not getting sound from external speakers that are hooked up to the TV?

Jan 1, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #15 of 21
also, my source for tv wld be coax from wall....

my main concern wld be getting 5.1 sound from my laptop as i connect it to tv via hdmi to watch movies. 

am nt sure if my laptop gives 2.1 or 5.1 sound.

its a samsung RC530.

pls suggest. 

thanx.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back