Speaker Amplifiers vs. Headphone Amplifiers for Planar Magnetic Headphones (HE-500/6 & LCD-2/3/X/XC & Abyss)
Dec 30, 2013 at 10:43 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 4

Austin Morrow

Headphoneus Supremus
This thread is dedicated for those Head-Fi'ers out there who have found aural nirvana in using fully blown speaker amplifiers for their current hungry planar magnetic headphones.

Yes, there is already a thread called "Speaker Amps for Headphones" that outlines speaker amplifiers for all headphones, but it's too broad. I'd like to start a thread solely with the purpose of discussing speaker amplifiers (as well as comparisons vs. headphones amplifers and how they seem to be unanimously obselete compared to speaker amplifiers) for power hungry planars like the HE-500 and HE-6 from HiFiMAN, as well as the LCD series from Audeze, and any others that you feel need be.

I've been using the HE-500 off speaker taps for the last week and have found them to sound absoutely incredible when compared to being driven off regular headphone amplifiers. Do I know why this is? Nope, it just sounds a lot better to my ears, and pushed planars to the limits. A lot of other members seem to think this as well. I full plan on getting a custom cable for my LCD-2.2's when they arrive and running them off speaker taps once they arrive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back