South Philly Meet, April 1st!
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 10, 2017 at 5:05 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 33

mbyrnes

500+ Head-Fier
I have acquired a space to hold a small/medium meet. It's a new bar at the corner of 2nd and Mifflin. They open at Noon, but I can most likely get into the space earlier. I figure the meet can go from 12:00 to 4:30ish, then clean up and hang until whenever. This is Mummer's Row, so there are a lot of Bars/Restaurants close by. They have an unused, upstairs area that we can use. Currently six high top tables, but I have some tables I can bring. Can we make this happen Philly!?! Parking is FREE and plentiful just two blocks away. Beneath I-95, there are hundreds of open spaces. Unload out front, and park just down the street. This is close to exit 20 on I-95, where the Target shopping center is. 

No charge, so a free space. I presented this as a place where they could advertise the event, hopefully bringing new people. 

Location: Mifflin Tavern, (2nd St and Mifflin St), Upstairs area
Time: Currently 12:00 to 4:30-5:00. May get the space earlier for setup, aiming for 11:00.
Parking: Free, one block east under I-95 (Corner of Front and Mifflin). 
Food/Drink: Mifflin Tavern has some great food, and serves microbrews (Full bar available). I may be able to get some discounts for us, just have to figure out what they are. The owner is great, and is excited to see what this is all about. 

I'll have:

Creative SoundBlaster X7 with Sparkos op amp upgrades. (I also have Burson V5i op amps)

Modi Multibit

Schiit Magni
MicroZOTL2 with upgraded LPS

Hifiman HEX V2
Fostex TH-X00 Ebony
Monoprice M1060
Sennheiser HD6XX
Beyerdynamic DT990
AKG K702 65th anniversary
Sennheiser PC37X
Audio Technica ATH-M50X

B&O H3
Monk plus

And one more I'm forgetting. Give me your gear, and I'll update the list. Should be a great time, full bar and great food (your cost). I don't want it to be enormous, so I'll cap the amount of gear for setup. You are always welcome to bring headphones to plug into others gear that you may be interested in. 

Come, enjoy yourself, and hang with great people who adore this hobby!

Attendees: 

eddiek997: McIntosh MHA150 amp, HEK V2, B&O H7

Shuto77: For Sale gear:
-ZMF Ori Blackwoods (brand new pads with SE Dyson cable, Cert of Authenticity and Seahorse Case),
-Philips A5 PRO,
-iBasso IT03 iems,
-Meridian Explorer2 USB DAC (brand new warranty replacement). I'm going to be testing both of these USB DACs, and sell the one I like less),
-Encore MDSD by Sonic Unity USB DAC
-Pioneer bookshelf speakers 

Gear I would bring that's not for sale:
-EMU Teak,
-Schiit Jotunheim,
-Schiit Mimby

Going28: 
- Sony MDR1000x - daily-driven keepers.
- Pryma Sonus Faber Special Edition
- PSB M4U1 - rewired internally
- Fiio E17 Portable amp/DAC
- Creative SoundBlaster E5 portable bluetooth amp/DAC

**I also have a little 3.5mm 4-to-1 A/B/C/D unit that can be used for comparing multiple headphones.

Mar 13, 2017 at 2:18 PM Post #2 of 33
I'll be there but can only bring my HD800 S and Yggdrasil.

I sold my Ragnarok to pre-order the Audio Guild amp.

Mar 13, 2017 at 3:21 PM Post #3 of 33
Excellent! Two pieces of gear I've been dying to hear!

Here's the space:

Plenty of electrical outlets, great space overall. Really hoping to get more interest. Even with no gear, come and enjoy yourself!

Mar 14, 2017 at 12:33 PM Post #4 of 33
I'm going to bring my Xbox One and have a Creative Sound Blaster X7 setup for surround sound gaming/movies. I'll bring a couple Blu-rays. I'll setup my Astro Mixamp 2013 as well. It'll be a good comparison between two hugely popular options in virtual surround sound.

Hopefully this interests some people, along with the typical music setups at meets.

Any preference to the Monoprice M1060s being left stock or vegan pad swap? Up to the group as to what they would prefer.

Mar 14, 2017 at 3:08 PM Post #5 of 33
Come to a South Philly meet!

I'll have a VSS setup on an Xbox One S, with Blu-ray movies along with games. Great chance to hear an X7 vs Astro Mixamp. Very nice gear going to be there as well. Yes, shameless promotion, but I'm happy to have people pop in with no gear. Come have fun, meet members, and listen to hear you've only read about!

If I can make it, I'll bring:

1. ZMF Ori Blackwood
  2. EMU Teak w/ Ori pads (the best Fostex TH-Series variant, according to many)
  3. RBH HP-2
  4. iBasso IT03 iem
  5. Schiit Jotunheim - amp only
  6. Schiit Modi Multibit

My X7 w/ Burson/Supreme Sound op-amps is currently out of commission. 

I'll have to be caught up on homework, and make sure the gf has something to do. She's pretty easy-going, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to drag her along.

If I get enough positive encouragement, I may make an appearance.

Mar 14, 2017 at 7:00 PM Post #7 of 33
I'm going to bring my Xbox One and have a Creative Sound Blaster X7 setup for surround sound gaming/movies. I'll bring a couple Blu-rays. I'll setup my Astro Mixamp 2013 as well. It'll be a good comparison between two hugely popular options in virtual surround sound.

Hopefully this interests some people, along with the typical music setups at meets.

Any preference to the Monoprice M1060s being left stock or vegan pad swap? Up to the group as to what they would prefer.

How many confirmations do you have so far? 

Do you know if anyone is bringing a ZMF Atticus or Eikon?

Mar 16, 2017 at 3:38 PM Post #8 of 33
How many confirmations do you have so far? 

Do you know if anyone is bringing a ZMF Atticus or Eikon?

Looks like 3 others so far. No Atticus or Eikon yet. Should be a fun time and I'm sure last minute people will come. It'll be fun regardless!

Mar 16, 2017 at 11:46 PM Post #9 of 33
Looks like 3 others so far. No Atticus or Eikon yet. Should be a fun time and I'm sure last minute people will come. It'll be fun regardless!

I'm trying to make it, and I'm going to post a link in two of my favorite threads.

I see you also have a Mimby. I'd love to check out a higher-end DAC with my Jot.

Mar 17, 2017 at 12:59 AM Post #10 of 33
I'm trying to make it, and I'm going to post a link in two of my favorite threads.

I see you also have a Mimby. I'd love to check out a higher-end DAC with my Jot.

I'm all about trying different setups, so any of my gear can be teamed up with something else. Comparisons can be really cool, and my amp has two RCA inputs that can be switched quickly. Also have switches/splitters for optical, so one source can be used simultaneously with two DACs, into my MZ2. Flip a switch and it's an instant A/B between DACs. I'll have to grab another Blu-ray player for a transport. Or use someone else's optical source. Best thing is I live so close. Forget something and it's a few minute trip!

Mar 19, 2017 at 11:56 PM Post #11 of 33
If you're setting up, 11:00 is the time. Gives us all an hour to get ready and welcome the rest. Cannot wait, such a great place to be, and the Head-fi crowd will make it epic! Any ideas, please message me or post here. We can turn this into a very regular thing, just need the turnout and people willing to bring their gear! A monthly meet is not out of the question! Join us, have fun, and talk with people who enjoy music as much as we do!

Mar 20, 2017 at 10:00 AM Post #12 of 33
How many people are bringing gear? I'm 75% sure I'm going and am willing to bring my gear if anyone wants to hear it. My stuff is mid-fi, and my Ori Blackwoods are probably upper-mid-fi.

Mar 20, 2017 at 3:04 PM Post #13 of 33
I'm checking on my availability to attend.  My girl'll be at a concert that evening.  I've posted all my gear to sell, but I'll bring what I have:

- Sony MDR1000x - daily-driven keepers.
- Pryma Sonus Faber Special Edition
- PSB M4U1 - rewired internally
- Fiio E17 Portable amp/DAC
- Creative SoundBlaster E5 portable bluetooth amp/DAC

I also have a little 3.5mm 4-to-1 A/B/C/D unit that can be used for comparing multiple headphones.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:37 PM Post #14 of 33
Sweet! I'll get the first post updated with all the gear. In my phone right now but I'll get it fixed soon.

Mar 20, 2017 at 5:40 PM Post #15 of 33
How many people are bringing gear? I'm 75% sure I'm going and am willing to bring my gear if anyone wants to hear it. My stuff is mid-fi, and my Ori Blackwoods are probably upper-mid-fi.

Mid-Fi gear is always welcome. If you like it, bring it! We all start somewhere and having inexpensive stuff available, could get someone just beginning a good idea.

I have my $5 monk plus ear buds that I really like for the money. The Ori would be interesting, never heard them.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back