Source Upgrade -- I'm ready (up to $2500)
Jun 24, 2004 at 4:51 AM Post #19 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by markl
Sony 555ES Hot Rod (sacdmods). If you are lucky enough to find a stock 555ES, total cost should not exceed $1400, and you have a KILLER Redbook CD source with SACD capability thrown in for "free" as a bonus.

As a 555ES Hot Rod owner, I STRONGLY second this. You would have to spend $3000.00, minimum to even attempt to top this unit. Use the rest of the money for your car, you wont regret it.

JC

Jun 24, 2004 at 4:52 AM Post #20 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall
As a 555ES Hot Rod owner, I STRONGLY second this. You would have to spend $3000.00, minimum to even attempt to top this unit. Use the rest of the money for your car, you wont regret it.

JC

And I'm sure that sacdlover and Tom Hankins will also back us up on this one!

JC

Jun 24, 2004 at 1:42 PM Post #21 of 66
Your budget is suppose to expand, not contract.

I rather like the Music Fidelity A308. The A3.2 was harsh, but the A308 was beautiful sounding straight out of the box.

Also the Arcam FMJ CD33 is a stunner if you want detail detail detail.

Both are in your price range if you find it used.

Another option to consider is DAC+transport. Its a bit more complicated and you'll have to spring for extra cables, but a Bel canto DAC with a decent transport is also around the $2-2500 mark.

Personally I really enjoy the CD33 with a Stax 4040.

Jun 24, 2004 at 5:38 PM Post #22 of 66
Did you get to hear the Linn Ikemi at the headphone meet? I usually don't dig linn stuff, but i liked the Ikemi. Probably what i'd go with if i were to upgrade. The cary is nice too. Very rich and melodic. The linn on the other hand is just a touch quicker sounding to me. Doug's cdp was also pretty nice, but that might just have been the omegas talking. Its all a matter of taste really.

Jun 25, 2004 at 3:48 AM Post #23 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by nanahachi

realistically, UNDER $2000 is my goal. Everyday some new bill arrives that needs attention. sigh

thanks, all

Here's a link to a Level 2 Jolida that I just came across on Sound Odyssey website. Says it competes with $4000 players. In stock form it was pretty impressive. I've spoken to Brice several times and I am sure it's a wonderful player at $1575. It has major upgrades across all stages of the player. Still, I'd want to upgrade the tubes to some good NOS.

Based on personal experience, the Never-Connected power supply is the real deal and did wonders to the soundstage and dynamics of my Music Hall. It gives the clock it own power supply, thereby bringing the player up to 3 separate transformers. I'm sure it would make this player extremely pleasurable to listen to. Adding that as well puts this player at $1820, shipped, with a warranty. Good luck in your search.

http://www.soundodyssey.com/Jolida/JD100PS2.html

Jun 25, 2004 at 1:26 PM Post #24 of 66
I've heard an Ack! dAck! twice now, and been impressed both times (to the point that I should be receiving one that I ordered in the near future). Cost is about $525. Hook this to a decent 44.1 KHz transport (you should be able to pull a good one off of Audiogon for well under $1K), and IMO you're going to have a high performance rig for well under the stated price. Note: this is a redbook only option. I'll be able to say more once my own unit arrives.

Jun 25, 2004 at 6:57 PM Post #25 of 66
Quote:

Originally Posted by Nightfall

JC

I'll add my vote for this player in your price range. The equal in redbook to the Trivista DAC ($2.4K), close to the Cary 306/200 ($4K) better than the 508.24. With sacd it took the redbook audio research CD3 MKII ($5.5K) to get by it. The 555ES with mods is knocking on the doors of the $3K redbook players. It's almost there. With sacd playback it is there plus some.
The Sony 9000ES dvd-sacd-cd and 999ES player that go used for about $5-6 hundred with the Modwright.com ultimate truth tube mods (another $1300.00) are supposed to be even better.
very_evil_smiley.gif
If I was going to spend in the $2K range for a CDP some kind of modified sony or denon would be in my furture.

Jun 25, 2004 at 9:12 PM Post #26 of 66
The Ikemi is an excellant player and just to make things more difficult Todd just dropped the pricing on the 588 he has to 2K and I think he's an authorized dealer so it would come with full warranty!

Jun 28, 2004 at 5:30 PM Post #29 of 66
I second the Arcam CD33T rec. I've paired this player with a Singlepower MPX3 amp and HD650s... The result is fairly amazing (the new Wilco album was made for this setup). See the latest issue of Stereophile for a rave review of the CD33T (not that I put much credence into these magazine reviews).

I have a tough time imagining a much better sound; at a certain level it's all about personal taste. I do wonder what the Meridian players would sound like in my setup.

GE

Jun 28, 2004 at 5:33 PM Post #30 of 66
wow, thanks guys. i guess i have even more homework now.
wink.gif

I hope I can find somewhere in southern Calif. to audition some of these suggestions.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back