source for amp knob.=
Mar 23, 2004 at 11:23 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

Swampwalker

100+ Head-Fier
I am looking for an inexpensive replacement for the cheapo black bakelite volume knob (actually more like a pointer, aka old burner knob on a range). The amp chassis is a stainless, so a cylindrical kob w/a 1/4" shaft and set screw deal would be great. Position marker nice but not absolutely required. Where do you guys get volume knobs for your DIY projects? This would need to be a source for a single knob. Ebay has them mostly in lots of 5, 10, 12, whatever. Wouldn't want to pay more than $5.00 or so, unless it was really cool.

Mar 24, 2004 at 12:08 AM Post #2 of 12
The aluminum knobs from Kilo are very popular, you will see them on most of the PPA / Pimeta amps with an aluminum case.

Get 'em from Digikey.com, you can look up the part # you want most range from $5-7:

Digikey - Knobs.pdf

However, you better order a few things, otherwise you'll have to pay a handling fee if it's a small order!

Mar 24, 2004 at 12:18 AM Post #3 of 12
I'm not one of the DIY people here, but I have been so impressed with the pretension of some retailers selling a wooden knob for close to $500. If I was a DIY, and a wooden knob was an option, I would just go to Lowes or Home Depot and get a little cylinder of cherry wood, would drill the shaft/screw holes and make the position marker somehow, and would polish it/barnish/paint it in whichever way it suited the application, and that would hardly reach $15. If wood is not an option, I'd also search the web for suppliers selling machined knobs for electronics apps.

Mar 24, 2004 at 12:38 AM Post #4 of 12
I always look into the trash bins. I remove all the knobs if I find a receiver in the trash.

When I throw away my Radio Shack receiver I will be keeping the 2" knob. You might be able to order a replacent part from Radio Shack if you are interested in their black 2" knobs. They should have a few in stock, also.

Go to garage sales - broken receivers can be gotten for $5.

go to hock shops. a lot of times they will throw away electronic equipment.

check EBay.

go to your local Salvation Army type store in your neighbourhood.

Mar 24, 2004 at 5:48 AM Post #5 of 12
458.jpg

DACT knobs from DIYcable.com

You can find some wooden knobs at: http://pages.sbcglobal.net/quackfat/_wsn/page5.html. I would have posted a pic, but the pics are quite large.

ML.jpg

JD.jpg

Some Kilo machined aluminum knobs from Precision Sales

Mar 24, 2004 at 6:00 AM Post #6 of 12
LOL, at the bottom of that thinkamaknob site, theres this:
Quote:

Injury may result from sticking Thingamaknobs in your eyes, nose or mouth. Do not swallow Thingamaknobs. Please do not throw Thingamaknobs, you could hurt somebody.

Quite hilarious I must say!
biggrin.gif

Mar 24, 2004 at 2:08 PM Post #7 of 12
Larry from LaRocco Audio (and Custom Chassis Works) can custom machine a knob for you. It's going to be around $20 for an aluminum knob with clear anodize, but his work is beautiful and you can choose the type of finish you want.

Mar 24, 2004 at 9:18 PM Post #9 of 12
Apexjr has some nice ones listed on their site (apexjr.com - click on "new arrivals") The clear anodized ones are very nice. (I've also got plans of my own for the huge 2" ones
biggrin.gif
)
You could always call apexjr (Steve) to check if he has anything interesting in stock that isn't on the web - he usually has
wink.gif

/U.

Mar 24, 2004 at 10:59 PM Post #10 of 12
second AudioKit, I just bought one from there and it's a really solid lump of aluminium with a nice finish, and a recessed position indicator. Cost 6.50 euros I think....

g

Users who are viewing this thread

Back