Source advice
May 26, 2012 at 12:33 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

woodfiend

New Head-Fier
   Hi there!   New guy here.   Long time audio and video participant but new to quality headphone listening.   I have had numerous regular and gaming headphones over the years but I am just starting my foray into better quality head-fi gear.  I made the timid step and bought sennheiser 429's for about $80.   They are something to hold me over until I figure out what better ones to buy.   But back to my question about sources.......

I have numerous devices and I am trying to figure out the best one for quality audio.....   I have a Samsung Galaxy II phone, an older style but new and unused Blackberry 8350, an 8gb Ipod touch (not sure which generation but it has the chrome back), a Sony E series 8gb walkman, a Xoom tablet, and an Ideos 7 tablet.       I don't currently have an amplifier but I just wanted to use the best portable source I have.   I also have 3 separate Pre-pro's or A/V receivers (theater,bedroom,office)  but from the weeks I have been reading the forum I don't notice many people using them so I will tackle that question another time.

So which would you recommend out of what I have?

Thanks!

May 27, 2012 at 2:23 AM Post #3 of 7
My money would be on the ipod touch. Try them all, your ears may just tell you. 
smile.gif

May 27, 2012 at 2:33 AM Post #4 of 7
  Ok I have been playing with that one a bit.... and I have been trying them all to make up my mind.  I just didn't know if there were certain options with some that maybe other devices didn't have.  For example I notice some threads talking about modding the older style ipods.  I wasn't sure if anyone had similar experiences with any devices I listed that would sway me one way or the other.   The other thing I was wondering about was actual power given by some of these devices..... The tablets obviously have larger batteries so I was curious if they were able to give more headroom without an amp or had better internal amp features in general.

May 29, 2012 at 7:50 AM Post #5 of 7
  Soooo nobody else has advice or experience to offer?   An audio forum where people aren't hopping to lend advice or have an opinion?  I am amazed!    Haha help a new guy out here.....  :)
jecklinsmile.gif

May 29, 2012 at 12:38 PM Post #6 of 7
People on this forum do offer great help. BUT you need to phrase your question correctly. What you are asking is kind of inconsistent. You are asking people (who probably don't have any experience with them) if certain tablets are better than an iPod Touch or Sony Walkman. 

As far as which has the most powerful amp: try all the sources with your headphones and see which one goes loudest. 

It's unclear what you are looking for us to answer, because the way it's phrased now, you (OP) clearly will have the best answer. 

If you are asking me: "Which of my sources would you use?" Then my answer is Sony E series. If you are asking "how do I mod my iPod and what does it do?" then that deserves another thread. Be clean, clear, and concise. Overloading posts with questions makes it too hard to be a useful responder.

May 30, 2012 at 10:35 PM Post #7 of 7
  I wasn't implying that they don't offer good help.  I have read dozens of helpful threads on here.  Maybe you misunderstood my humor at the fact that audiophiles didn't immediately jump on an opportunity to wax philosphic on any given topic or a chance to give an opinion.

I am sorry you misunderstood what I was asking.   I don't see anything complicated in what I asked.  I didn't ask "how to mod my ipod etc"   Nor did I ask 8 unrelated questions in one post.   My post #4 was to give examples of the types of suggestions I was looking for in why certain devices may be more desirable.  I was not asking that as a separate question.    

To clarify:   Here is my question reposted from the first post..........     " I have numerous devices and I am trying to figure out the best one for quality audio..... any advice?"       I then listed the following items: ( Samsung Galaxy II phone, Blackberry 8350, an 8gb Ipod touch, a Sony E series 8gb walkman, a Xoom tablet, and an Ideos 7 tablet).      

So for anyone who has experience with any of the above items please enlighten me to the pros and cons.      For example one such response could be " I had a Sony E series walkman but I noticed a lot of sibilance until I used an external tube amp"    Or " the blackberry isn't even worth trying I had terrible luck with it!"     Or "x" device is highly moddable and is popular you should concentrate on that one....... 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back