Sounds off, only one side is functioning
Dec 9, 2015 at 5:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 5

ThePCWizard

New Head-Fier
Hey guys, I have a modified pair of headphones that I have noticed are sounding very "tinny" and one side is not functioning, the connections appear secure.

The cable I am using is brand new, I only just put it on last night. And it was working fine earlier today.

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM Post #2 of 5
Is the old cable functioning properly?

What modifications have been done and what headphones?

Is the new cable seating in the jack properly on both ends?

Dec 9, 2015 at 5:55 PM Post #3 of 5
Is the old cable functioning properly?

What modifications have been done and what headphones?

Is the new cable seating in the jack properly on both ends?

These headphones were originally bluetooth, I have removed the circuit boards and directly wired them to a y-splitting cable. I have kept the original headband wires and they are trimed/taped to prevent interference with my speaker terminals.

The original circuit board did have an issue that caused interference with any devices I connected to.

Other cables I have used were hand-made and worked fine. The new cable is from an old pair of earpuds I had stored as a backup pair.

The cable is hard-wired, I am looking into making it detachable however. The plug is seated properly and I have tested it on multiple sources.

EDIT: I have recently cleaned the drivers, about a week ago.

Dec 9, 2015 at 6:39 PM Post #4 of 5
Where they working properly after the cleaning but before the cable swap?

Are your solder joints getting a good connection? Have you checked them with a multimeter?

Is the new cable to sufficient for the headphones? If it's an IEM cable driving a full sized set of cans I could see and issue.

Dec 9, 2015 at 10:46 PM Post #5 of 5
Where they working properly after the cleaning but before the cable swap?

Are your solder joints getting a good connection? Have you checked them with a multimeter?

Is the new cable to sufficient for the headphones? If it's an IEM cable driving a full sized set of cans I could see and issue.

They were working perfectly after the cleaning,

as far as I can tell there is a good connection but I need to remove some excess solder from the join, I have no multimeter unfortunately

I've used IEM cable with these before and the cable can drive them perfectly fine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back