Sounds great .. @.... Modest Volume
Jan 4, 2022 at 1:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

FullBright1

Headphoneus Supremus
No headphone set sounds its very best at low volume.
However, here are 15 that sound nearly their best ....@... modest volume.

All of these can be played at modest volume and they will sound nearly their best.

1. Audeze LCD-24

2. Rosson Rad-0

3. Audeze LCD-5

4. Meze Empyrean

5. Meze Elite

6. Meze Liric

7. Hifiman Edition X. v2

8. Ultrasone Edition 5

9. Ultrasone Edition 15 open

10. Focal Utopia

11. Denon AH-D9200

12. ZMF Verite Open

13. Master & Dynamic MH40

14. IBasso Audio SR2

15. DCA Ether 2

Last edited:
Jan 4, 2022 at 2:54 PM Post #2 of 10
Have you tried the Sony Z1R? I have read from some people that they can enjoy a lot the listening experience at low volume with them.

From the list, in certain situations (with some albums) I have to put a medium volume with the AH-D9200s.

Jan 4, 2022 at 4:19 PM Post #3 of 10
Have you tried the Sony Z1R? I have read from some people that they can enjoy a lot the listening experience at low volume with them.

From the list, in certain situations (with some albums) I have to put a medium volume with the AH-D9200s.

Ive not tried that Sony Series..
The reason is...... ive yet to read a review that does not state that they are very bass elevated, no matter which model, with respect to that series.
I like their design....they are a nice looking gear.
So, as im not a lover of big, thick, over-cooked Bass, ....ive not tried them.

And you have to elevate the 9200s, volume wise, to get them to run for you?
I use some power with all my headphones, so, it could be that my gear reacts at love volume, with a richer fuller sound, because they are always being run balanced cable, and high power......if possible.
This is "feed = response".

Using High Gain, using Balance Cables, is going to produce a different delivery from all headphones, vs a SE using a cell, a weak dac-amp, or even a medium strength dac-amp.

I only look for the ultimate performance, no matter what the gear happens to be.

Last edited:
Jan 13, 2022 at 1:54 AM Post #5 of 10
No headphone set sounds its very best at low volume.
However, here are 15 that sound nearly their best ....@... modest volume.

All of these can be played at modest volume and they will sound nearly their best.

1. Audeze LCD-24
I notice you also own the Audeze LCD-4z. Any chance of providing a quick summary of your comparison between the two? Which of the two do you prefer? If one owns one, is it worth purchasing the other?

Jan 13, 2022 at 5:02 AM Post #6 of 10
Jan 13, 2022 at 11:34 AM Post #8 of 10
I notice you also own the Audeze LCD-4z. Any chance of providing a quick summary of your comparison between the two? Which of the two do you prefer? If one owns one, is it worth purchasing the other?

Sure.
I own the LCD-5 and the LCD-4z. and the LCD-24.

The 4z, has a very full sounding low end, linear fat mids, and a High end that is smooth and refined and extended.
Of the 3, it has the most refined tonality... very rich and full, throughout the FR.

The LCD-24 is my favorite Audeze, as it offers everything that makes Audeze gear great, and its not heavy, and adds a dose of articulation and more overall transparency.
It has a lighter and more delicate sound, then the 4Z, and sounds more similar to the LCD-5, in some ways.
Its probable.....that those who are into the typical Audeze house sound, will find the 4Z to be the best version of all., as it has more midrange richness and overall fullness than the 24, but not quite the treble response.

The LCD-5, is more of the Diana V2 Abyss sound. It has more pronounced/forward upper mids, and a unique approach to soundstage in that it sounds very intimate, yet has a lot of wideness regarding how it lets you hear Left and Right separation so distinctly. The LCD-5 is the Audeze microscope and high resolution Champ.

Jan 18, 2022 at 9:37 PM Post #9 of 10
Sure.
I own the LCD-5 and the LCD-4z. and the LCD-24.

The 4z, has a very full sounding low end, linear fat mids, and a High end that is smooth and refined and extended.
Of the 3, it has the most refined tonality... very rich and full, throughout the FR.

The LCD-24 is my favorite Audeze, as it offers everything that makes Audeze gear great, and its not heavy, and adds a dose of articulation and more overall transparency.
It has a lighter and more delicate sound, then the 4Z, and sounds more similar to the LCD-5, in some ways.
Its probable.....that those who are into the typical Audeze house sound, will find the 4Z to be the best version of all., as it has more midrange richness and overall fullness than the 24, but not quite the treble response.

The LCD-5, is more of the Diana V2 Abyss sound. It has more pronounced/forward upper mids, and a unique approach to soundstage in that it sounds very intimate, yet has a lot of wideness regarding how it lets you hear Left and Right separation so distinctly. The LCD-5 is the Audeze microscope and high resolution Champ.
Hey what amp do you use with your audeze? Ive got an LCD-24 that I pair with a jotunheim but its kinda bright (I like a little more bass) so I am curious what people are using for these.

Jan 19, 2022 at 2:37 AM Post #10 of 10
I think DT990 and especially DT880 also sound best at moderate value. I think in general Beyers don't lend themselves well to turning it up, so to speak, EQ'd or not, though the DT770 isn't too bad in that way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back