Soundmagic PL50 mogami 2893 Recable: what Heatshrink Diameter?
Jan 6, 2012 at 10:53 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 3

ernestrome

New Head-Fier
I found the cable in soundmagic products to be of low quality. I have two pairs of pl30s and two pl50s and like the sound and fit a lot, but each has broken down. First they go at the jack, so I shorten the cable and replace the jack, but then they go somewhere else possibly at the y-split. The cable is extremely hard to solder too.

So I bought some Mogami 2893 and plan to recable all my soundmagic products with it. I used cat5e ethernet cable in december to check that I could recable them without damaging the driver and now have a working pair of PL50 again, but ethernet cable is so stiff and microphonic! (I would advice anyone thinking of using it for earphone cable to not bother) 

So I wonder if anyone can help me with what heatshrink to use for my recabling.

I think the inner cables are 1mm so I should be able to get them through heatshrink with an ID of 1.5-2mm, right?

I read that polyolefin would be the most flexible heatshrink to use. 

I think I should use 2:1 ratio heatshrink so it is flexible after shrinking.

I do not think I need selfadhesive HS for the pairs to the earpieces. 

I do plan to use selfadhesive for the y-split. 

I will be using large a pailiccs 1/8mm plug.

Thanks.

Mar 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM Post #3 of 3
I completed the recable shortly after these posts. Went with the inner wires stripped from the Y to the phones. Used two pieces of narrow heatshrink to keep each pair together just above where the rubber outer, cotton and copper sheathing terminate. Then a thicker piece cover the split. It is working well so far.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back