SoundMAGIC PL30 impressions
Sep 13, 2008 at 5:57 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 327

lewislink

Banned
I finally received these today after about 13 to 15 days waiting. They came from Hong Kong so I knew it would be a while before I received them from the eBayer.

First off, these are immensely comfortable! Good grief they feel so comfortable. Initial sound quality impressions are incredibly good. The mids are a bit thick but I figure that will even out with break in.

I will say this, for the $40 spent on them, they seem to be highly underpriced. But I'll have more info as time goes. Right now I'm just loving the feel of them. I'm using the default OEM sleeves...the ones they came with attached.

I think these might be some that will shake a few canalphone makers up if they turn out as good as I'm thinking they will.

More to come.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:25 PM Post #3 of 327
Woo~
I am still waiting for mine...

Where did u got that?
Great-sounds.com or somewhere else?
It said it need about 7 to 12 business day for delivery

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:52 PM Post #4 of 327
lewislink
HI: You are killing me. How is the bass. How about sound stage out of the box. We need more info now please. LOL. I bought these to replace my JVC fx66. Will they do that. What would you compair them to out of box.

Sep 13, 2008 at 6:56 PM Post #5 of 327
"You are killing me."
lol, that's true

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:34 PM Post #6 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by communic /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol is it your intention to own everything single pair of canalphones available under the sun?!

smily_headphones1.gif
Hehe...it would seem so. lol

Quote:

Originally Posted by LTUCCI1924 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lewislink
HI: You are killing me. How is the bass. How about sound stage out of the box. We need more info now please. LOL. I bought these to replace my JVC fx66. Will they do that. What would you compair them to out of box.

These aren't broke in yet but the bass seems fine. I have yet to use the switch and determine a difference, but I will. The soundstage is great. I don't believe it's as good as the Triple fi-10s but certainly good. The clarity needs to improve a bit for the soundstage to come out better. I would say the soundstage right now is similar to, but batter than, the JVC FX66. They do sound much better than the FX66, though. They are more akin to the Super fi-3 or 4. Thats, what I believe they sound most like, the UE 3 or 4.

Right now I don't believe they measure up to the Triple fi-10s or the Shure SE530, but they aren't broken in yet, either. Actually, on some music, I think they are a neutral Denon AH-C751. The Denons, I have to EQ tweak to make sound excellent. These I don't have to do that tweaking but I don't believe their whole sound is equal to the Denons. Again, though, they aren't broken in yet. lol

Sep 13, 2008 at 7:39 PM Post #7 of 327
Wooo!!!
That seems I've bought the right thing!
Haha

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:01 PM Post #8 of 327
Thanks for the update. Its so hard for me to believe that the pl-30 compairs at or near those high price iem. Like the Dennon 751 that cost about 200.00. The 530 cost about 400.00-500.00. I do believe what you say so please dont get me wrong. I was very happy with my jvc fx66 and was just going to keep them forever. LOL. But after reading the reviews from another member I just had to order them. Now you are saying almost the same thing as the other member and I believe both of you. I stoped buying exspensive stuff and am into budget-fi. But I think it would be nice or even great to have high end sound at budget price. I will follow ever word that you post as they burn in and thank you very much for your time on posting about these. Oh if you could post in about 10-15 hours burn in that would be great also. Thanks again.

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:29 PM Post #9 of 327
I too am very much looking forward to your findings. I am in fact considering UM2's or SA6's, both of which you own, but if these come close enough this could well be a superb bargain...

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:40 PM Post #10 of 327
SA6 and UM2 was on my list too...
After i read those reviews on pl 30 and I changed my mind and ordered a pair of PL30 from great-sounds.com

Awaiting for them now
smily_headphones1.gif

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:48 PM Post #11 of 327
btw, someone said the pl30 is selling about $20 with free shipping in focalprice.com... but dunno they are real or not

maybe u can take a look of them

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:51 PM Post #12 of 327
After further consideration I've decided the current sound most approximates the Jays D-Jays. I have a set of those and they weren't in my mind when I was trying to think what these PL30 most sound like. After a while, and because someone is wanting to buy the D-Jays, I remembered their sound. I would say these PL30 are far more closer to matching the sound of the D-Jays than the UE 3 or 4.

The sound of the D-Jays is quite good, by the way, and they are a Balanced Armature driver setup.

Sep 13, 2008 at 8:53 PM Post #13 of 327
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ingram /img/forum/go_quote.gif
btw, someone said the pl30 is selling about $20 with free shipping in focalprice.com... but dunno they are real or not

maybe u can take a look of them

biggrin.gif
I have looked at them. I can't tell anything by their appearance but I will say, if anyone knows the sound of the D-Jays and buys these, they will know with certainty if these $20 PL30s are real if they sound like the D-Jays.

Sep 13, 2008 at 9:02 PM Post #14 of 327
Can compare with D-jays??!!

lewislink, can you tell where did u order your pair of PL30?
Since i am still waiting, just want to know how long will i need to wait for

Sep 13, 2008 at 9:07 PM Post #15 of 327
INGRAM:
HI: I think we will have our pl-30 early next week and then we will see what they are all about. Just think you may never need to upgrade your iem ever again. LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back