SoundMagic MP21 and PL21
Aug 8, 2009 at 7:44 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 13

cgg123321

100+ Head-Fier
Hey everyone, it seems that SoundMagic has released two new pairs of earphones; the PL21 and the MP21
smily_headphones1.gif

MP21
PL21

The MP21's are aimed to compete with the higher end iphone/phone headset companies.

Seems like a good product for people who need a headset for their phone but don't want to deal with junk quality or pay a lot.

If you get them at dealperfect you can take advantage of these coupons before they expire:

PTPHTJZ2256MGR7200 1$ off min. 2$ Expiry Date: August 15 2009

PTP225672009HTJZMG 2$ off min. 4$ Expiry Date: August 15 2009

PTCNYSDIWE9009MXV 5$ off min. 40$ Expiry Date: August 15 2009

Enjoy
smily_headphones1.gif

Aug 8, 2009 at 8:44 PM Post #2 of 13
I do not know MP21 from Soundmagic,but it seems it is a latest new version,I found a review at :Half the price, Twice as Good! – Earphone w/Mic for iPhone, Mac and PC! - VR-Zone IT & Lifestyle Forum!

That guy sell it for 40$ ,I see dealperfect sell jus for 28$ ,I think the price is OK.

MP21

MP21_VRZ.gif

Introducing the MP21 iPhone headset from SoundMAGIC, with excellent sound and one touch call answering button.

VRZ PROMO PRICE S$40 (U.P. S$50)

Price inclusive of S$2.50 registered postage, S$3.00 postage rebate for 2nd set onwards.

You will not find a better deal elsewhere, I assure!

MP21_Adapter_VRZ.jpg

MP21_PINK_VRZ.jpg

MP21_WHITE_VRZ.jpg

Featuring:

Super bass response and outstanding detail.
One-touch call answering button for iPhone
One-touch music control for iPod
VOIP ready for Mac and PC*
Ergonomics design for ultimate listening comfort
Comfortable sizes of surely fit earbuds
Superior noise isolation near -20dB

*VOIP for MacBook: Just plug it into your MacBook earphone jack, both the mic and stereo earphone will be working out of the box!
*VOIP for PC: Included in the package is the PC adapter which allows you to split the MP21 into 2 mini jack for stereo and microphone to your PC.

Technical Specification:

Driver: 9mm neodymium magnet
Impedance: 12 Ω
Sensitivity: 97dB±2dB at 1mW 1kHz
Frequency Response: 15Hz~22kHz
Rated Power: 2mW
Max. Input Power: 20mW
Plug: Gold-plated 3.5mm (L angled)
Weight: 8g
Cable: 1.2m
Mic. Frequency: 20Hz~16KHz
Mic. Sensitivity: 58db±2dB/mW
Available colors: Black, White, Pink

Reviews:

This review is based on the 3 weeks experience with MP21 with at least 2 hours of average usage every day. (oh yes, I tested it before getting them in, so you are assured that it is GOOD!)

First - Sound:

Yes, it is great, finally SoundMAGIC did it and catch up to the trend for iPhone. Stuck them in my ear, and well, more than what I’ve expected. It has what every one of you looked for, its sound signature is very popular in my opinion, and will suit most people (more like the Sony earphones). The bass response is super and fast, which make it good for fast track songs. Mid and high are clear. (I shall wait for you guys to write some better reviews with some jargons).

Second - Accessories:

Its accessories are simply amazing. Included in the box are 4 sizes of different earbuds that will surely fit your ear. A pair of earhook for over the ear usage to minimal microphonics. A small travel pouch (sealable one). And best of all, the stereo and mic splitter, which make the magic of enabling it to plug to your PC for whatever VOIP applications you want to use.

Third – Functions:

Plug into my 2G earphone, it works well with its L-shape jack nicely slot in. Make a call from another line and pickup with one-touch, the other party can clearly hear me without having to hold the mic toward my mouth. Launch iPod on my iPhone, with the one press of the button -- music play, another press -- music stop, double press – next track, triple press – previous track.

Plug into MacBook for stereo and mic, voila, Apple are really smart innovators, they’ve integrated the mic jack into the stereo earphone input jack, worked perfectly. And it worked the same for PC with the included adapter that split the stereo and mic signal.

Forth – Comfort:

First glance on it, its appearance looks like PL20 and many other IEM like SkullCandy, etc. But with one small little difference – its earphone tube is abit slanted. That’s not a flaw but the ergonomic design. That little tweak really make it much more comfortable, as compare to PL20 that I’ve used which give me some pressure discomfort on the ear after long hours.

Aug 28, 2009 at 10:22 PM Post #3 of 13
I just got my $20.49 PL21 from dealperfect. No problems, took about 8 business days to the US with the free shipping. Read on a Chinese audio forum they improve nicely with about 40 hours run in but very nice sound out of the box. Seems more balanced then I remember the PL30 being.

Like the new tips and the new cable. Nice aluminum housing which is quite small. No driver crinkle at all. I don't think there will be any housing issues. I would still grip the phones from the front though when changing tips since they fit quite tight.

So far, so good. Should be another winner from SoundMagic!

Sep 9, 2009 at 7:40 AM Post #4 of 13
So I just picked up my pair of aluminum/white MP21. But here’s a little bit of background first. Apologies for being so long-winded.

This is my first ever post on here. In fact I only found out about this website only a few days ago. I needed something to replace my one-side-working Creative EP-630 (I think that’s what they were). They were only something like $13 CDN delivered from Dell, but I thought that they were an excellent buy for the money.

I was looking for a very affordable IEM because I spend too much money on my hockey equipment already (goalie gear is not cheap, and for the sake of your body – you don’t want to go cheap). And now I need to update my player gear because I’m going to start playing out again too. So after reading a few threads on here, I was very sure that I was going to buy either the Klipsch S4 or the SoundMagic PL50 (my starting point was the Shure SE210). This is mainly for use with my simple iPod nano with a mix of genres (mainly retro, some rock, some electronic, even Learning to Speak Chinese files, and finally some Chinese pop songs – which I really do not know what they are saying because I was born and lived all of my life in Canada, that is until a few months ago).

So I go into one of those local electronic malls here in Hong Kong that must have at least 50 different vendors of computer/phone/music equipment. I walked into one of them that had multiple sets of IEMs and headphones that you can actually try on with your own MP3 unit. I’m not sure how risky it is, but I took a chance and tried something like 20-30 different models. They carried everything from what looked like local brands to some of the high end models from Pioneer, Shure, UE and a few others. But most importantly, they carried every model from SoundMagic (unfortunately I did not see the Klipsch S4 though as I would have liked to try them on for comparison).

So on to my trial run of the SoundMagic IEM’s. Before putting on the PL50, the employee already told me that he would not recommend it for use with my iPod nano. He said that if I had used the Sony or Philips MP3, then it should be fine, but the iPod will not provide enough power for the bass. I tried it on any way and he was correct. I then tried on the PL20 and found a big improvement in the bass end of things, though perhaps not as sharp on the mid and higher end of things (note that I consider myself to be somewhere even before a newbie in regards to this head-fi stuff, so you will have to excuse my pre-elementary use of proper head-fi terminology
o2smile.gif
). After trying on many many other IEM’s less and more expensive, I came back to the PL20 and MP21. That’s when I learned the difference between the two, mainly it's that the 21 can be used on the iPhone, but also on my Blackberry Bold. I tested it with a call to my colleague and the microphone worked just fine. The funny thing is that the same connector that works for my BB Bold, also works for the iPod nano – is this normal? My IT guy said that the connector did not fit on his MP3 player and he was only able to hear one side. (The package also contains the adaptor piece in the picture posted above.)

So after hearing so many IEM’s, I found that the bass on the MP21 was at least as good as any other, and on the mid and other end of things, it compared very well. Perhaps not better, but very well.

If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to ask away and I’ll try to help you out, just keep in mind that I am a pre-newbie.
dt880smile.png

Cheers!

Jan 14, 2011 at 10:13 PM Post #9 of 13

Quote:
Thinking about grabbing a pair of these to replace my broken PL30s. Anyone have any experience with buying merch from MP4Nation.net?

Personally no, but people are rather mixed about them; apparently they're sometimes slow to ship stuff that isn't in stock.  You may want to ask them if they have the PL21 on hand.

focalprice.com also has the black PL21 and MP21 (which is for some reason 2$ cheaper...).  I got my own MP21s from there.  They shipped quickly, took some time to show up (well, it's free HK airmail, it's dirt cheap but somewhat slow), and showed up with the box in great condition.

BTW, if you like the PL30 sound signature, the PL21 does not have exactly the same one.  They are more colored, more "mainstream".  And despite appearances, they must be worn over-the-ear, like the PL30, or the housing will stick forward and likely be uncomfortable.  Worn over-the-ear, however, they're the most comfortable in-ears I've worn.  Not that I've worn so many known to be comfortable, but unless your ear is very different from mine, they really disappear when worn.

Hope this helps.

Jan 15, 2011 at 6:17 PM Post #10 of 13
I went ahead and just ordered them from MP4. I do like the sound signature from the PL30, but the reason I want to try the PL21 is because I have read that the bass is a little deeper than the PL30; is that not so? I don't like my music to sparkle to much.
Thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back