SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Mar 23, 2014 at 3:28 PM Post #811 of 1,386
Yep, I know that I can´t say too much about a headphone I haven´t listened to it for a while, I guess that I should try it at least for an hour to have a correct impression about it.
It´s not like I want to buy it or something but I was curious because my impressions differed so much when I compared to the things that I have read on these threads, maybe I will try it for a longer tiem, but I still want to hear it with an amp.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:27 PM Post #812 of 1,386
  Yep, I know that I can´t say too much about a headphone I haven´t listened to it for a while, I guess that I should try it at least for an hour to have a correct impression about it.
It´s not like I want to buy it or something but I was curious because my impressions differed so much when I compared to the things that I have read on these threads, maybe I will try it for a longer tiem, but I still want to hear it with an amp.

You should try an equalizer (I use the equalizer built into AIMP3).  With My HP100, I have 20 hz - 250 hz boosted by 1-2 dB, and 5k-20k reduced by 0.5-1 dB.  Of course, the lack of amp could be a contributing factor as well, because I find the bass (especially lower bass) to be unfocused and devoid of power and impact through my desktop's headphone jack, and the treble also sounds slightly metallic.  I hear a massive improvement through my Schiit Vali/Modi combo.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:33 PM Post #813 of 1,386

You should try an equalizer (I use the equalizer built into AIMP3).  With My HP100, I have 20 hz - 250 hz boosted by 1-2 dB, and 5k-20k reduced by 0.5-1 dB.  Of course, the lack of amp could be a contributing factor as well, because I find the bass (especially lower bass) to be unfocused and devoid of power and impact through my desktop's headphone jack, and the treble also sounds slightly metallic.  I hear a massive improvement through my Schiit Vali/Modi combo.

Well, the Mach3Bass function boosts the sub-bass, and yes, that helps but I guess that some extra power must improve the sound. Do you think that the Fiio E07K would work nicely with the HP-100 ?

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #815 of 1,386
  It should be noticeably better than unamped but your best option would be a tube amp like the Vali.

Hm, the Vali looks very nice but this is supposed to be for a portable rig. Do you think that there is another option in a simmilar price range?
Btw, thanks for the fast replies.

Mar 23, 2014 at 4:57 PM Post #816 of 1,386
I am not familiar with any of the portable tube amps, but you should be alright with the E07k.  You should try boosting the entire bass range (20hz-500hz) rather than just sub-bass (where the HP100 is least lacking, at least when amped), as well as reducing the highs (mostly 8k-11k, but you can do 5k-20k if that isn't enough) until you are comfortable.  However, I don't know if these functions are available on your MP3 player.  The E07k should be able to do all of this, but I am not sure of the exact frequencies it modifies.

Mar 23, 2014 at 5:06 PM Post #817 of 1,386
Thanks! And yes, the Fiio has the funcion to boost or reduce treble and bass, so that should do the trick. The Cowon has an adjustable EQ but it shouldn´t be neccesary. Luckily , the store where they sell the Fiio, is also a showroom, and they let you try almost everything that they have, so my friend is going to be able to check if he likes it or not.

Mar 23, 2014 at 9:02 PM Post #818 of 1,386
I'm having second thoughts about selling my pair, but I feel like I need some pads to replace the current ones. I know some suggested the 770 velour pads, and others recommended W1000x pads. Anybody have any other recommendations to replace the current pads? I want to try out Alpha pads, but I dont know if they will fit.

Mar 26, 2014 at 9:43 PM Post #819 of 1,386
Well, I just can't quit these headphones:p.  Just got my third pair in today.  If you've read what I've previously posted, I did some pad swapping, and I had settled on Beyer velours, but they kind of imparted a bit of a dry sound to the HP100s, which wasn't perfect, but worked okay.  Well, with the pair I just got today, I happen to have a pair of Custom One Pros right now, so I decided to try their pads, even though I've tried the softskin pads before (which appear really similar to the COP's pads), and the results weren't very good.  So imagine my surprise when I try the COP pads, and they don't sound hollow or muffled, which were my impressions from trying the softskin pads previously.  I haven't tried the stock pads yet on this pair (swapped 'em as soon as I got them today), but I'm pretty sure the bass has been increased from stock.  However, the clarity remains, and it only hits you when there's bass in the song.  A pretty lovely, warm sound.  Additionally, the cool thing about the COP pads is that there are replacements in several different colors, so you can customize the look of the HP100s, which is pretty neat.  I think I'm going to go with the brown or black pads.  Hope this helps.

Mar 26, 2014 at 10:15 PM Post #820 of 1,386
I would have liked to try out that out if I didn't just sell you my pair XD. Unfortunately, I have a pair of softskin pads left over from that experiment.

Mar 28, 2014 at 4:12 AM Post #823 of 1,386
Really interested with the new hifiman velour pleather pad, sadly I don't think it will fit HP100. :frowning2:

The old HifiMan pads did, I don't see why the new one wouldn't. Unless a change in shape, I suppose...

Mar 28, 2014 at 5:00 AM Post #825 of 1,386
I thought it's using different locking mechanism than most headphone including HP100?

All you really need to do is remove the plastic ring, and it becomes just like any other ear pad. This applies for the usual HifiMan pads, and should apply the same for the new ones. But don't take my word for the new ones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back