SoundMAGIC HP100/HP150 Review and Impressions Thread
Jul 31, 2013 at 6:43 PM Post #406 of 1,386
On second thought, I haven't picked up my HP100s in a little bit, so I'll need a few days to compare the two. After switching back, there is some difference, but I still gotta do some more comparisons to see. I take back my previous statements since I don't want to jump to any conclusions.

Aug 2, 2013 at 12:44 PM Post #407 of 1,386
Quote:
I don't suspect most will agree with me, but the HP100 was one of the most disappointing headphone purchases I've made in a while. Many claimed it was a fairly neutral headphone, which is why I purchased it. Yeah, it wasn't even close neutral...

My pair had bloated, overly emphasized bass. I'm also guessing it had pretty poor harmonic distortion in the lower regions (I'm wondering if the very rough looking response on the published FR graph hints at that as well). It certainly had much more bass than my Mad Dog 3.2 (which is subjectively and objectively much more neutral when it comes to bass). 

Wow, that's good to hear... the Hp 100 and the Mad Dog are top competitors for my Portable Closed Headphone pick atm xD 

Aug 3, 2013 at 8:52 AM Post #409 of 1,386
Quote:
Neither of them are what I would call portable.

well two things to know about me

I work at walmart, and im in school for computers so I'm used to carrying tons of crap around with me. Like BIG plush cases, and what not,.

And hell yea I rock full size cans in public <3 gatta have that quality. Non the less as long as it comes in some kinda of leather bag, I'll wrap it arround my hand and carry it away! I used to carry a Hm 601 a 3 Inch Thick SD Card Case and my dt 880s around with me last Semster lol

Still I'm worried about all the inconsistency I hear about the HP Sound Magic, different ppl hearing different sound sigs... although it reminds me alot of what I heard about the Byer 770s. Any retailiers selling the cans with a return as well [in case I get a dud] 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:15 AM Post #411 of 1,386
Quote:
FWIW, I've had my pair replaced once and it sound practically identical to the first one.

what did the replacement cost you? 

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:44 AM Post #414 of 1,386
FYI, I'm not in US. 
tongue.gif

Aug 3, 2013 at 9:59 AM Post #415 of 1,386
well two things to know about me

I work at walmart, and im in school for computers so I'm used to carrying tons of crap around with me. Like BIG plush cases, and what not,.

And hell yea I rock full size cans in public <3 gatta have that quality. Non the less as long as it comes in some kinda of leather bag, I'll wrap it arround my hand and carry it away! I used to carry a Hm 601 a 3 Inch Thick SD Card Case and my dt 880s around with me last Semster lol

Still I'm worried about all the inconsistency I hear about the HP Sound Magic, different ppl hearing different sound sigs... although it reminds me alot of what I heard about the Byer 770s. Any retailiers selling the cans with a return as well [in case I get a dud] 

Not truly a retailer in the classic sense but Amazon has them and a good return policy.

Aug 3, 2013 at 10:06 AM Post #416 of 1,386
Quote:
Not truly a retailer in the classic sense but Amazon has them and a good return policy.

Bleh  I know, but I want a no fuss return, I've never had to return anything to amazon, but it;s never sounded easy :/

Aug 3, 2013 at 7:46 PM Post #417 of 1,386
Quote:
Bleh  I know, but I want a no fuss return, I've never had to return anything to amazon, but it;s never sounded easy :/

I've returned plenty of things to Amazon. You just ask for a return label and you get charged $6-$10 out of your refund for return shipping.

Aug 4, 2013 at 1:48 AM Post #418 of 1,386
Hmmm, damping the inside cup with microfiber cloth seem to help reduce sibilance greatly. Bass remain punchy when the song call for it, mid seems to be a bit more prominent, however I think soundstage got a bit smaller.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:02 AM Post #419 of 1,386
Quote:
Hmmm, damping the inside cup with microfiber cloth seem to help reduce sibilance greatly. Bass remain punchy when the song call for it, mid seems to be a bit more prominent, however I think soundstage got a bit smaller.

FWIW, damping the cups of my HP100 produced no tangible benefit. Compared to every other headphone I've poked around with, my HP100 was surprisingly unresponsive to mods. 

That too might point to me having a problematic pair.

Amazon returns are easy, even with headphones. Just treat them like a baby, keep them clean, and don't listen for too long. If you need to return them, clean them up to like-new condition, re-package them as they came, and go through the return process. Usually it just involves logging on to your account and printing off a return shipping slip to put the box. Then you just drop it off with UPS, generally.

Aug 4, 2013 at 3:14 AM Post #420 of 1,386
Strange, I could immediately hear the improvement since I have this game where everyone's talking with any word containing s will inadvertently sound sibilance with HP100, it's not anymore now. Didn't have much problem with music except on hot recording.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back