Soundcards for Macs
Aug 2, 2001 at 10:03 PM Post #16 of 26
Hey, didn't the half-life port to the mac get cancelled? Deus Ex is a kickass game, but it is still not The Best game out there, that honor goes to Half-Life and it's numerous addons, which is never going to come to the mac....

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:26 PM Post #17 of 26
Quote:

"2) Special processing like surround, "EAX, etc. "
"-- can't wait for those OS X games to start rolling out "

*falls over laughing*

Most people who aren't knowledgeable about Macs have this reaction
wink.gif

Quote:

Uh, you all, I would happily use a mac for professional sound applications, and for DVD's, and anything *BUT* games....egad, no decent selection of games is gonna get released for macs...

There is already quite a "decent" selection of games for the Mac. While the *number* of games for the Mac won't ever approach the *number* for Windows, the *quality* of games for the Mac is pretty good. Mac-only game developers release a lot of good stuff, plus the Mac usually gets the good Windows games ported. The downside is that sometimes it takes a few months to get them. The upside is that the games that do come to Mac are usually good -- we don't get 100 different crappy FPS's
wink.gif

But seriously -- if you're a hardcore gamer who cares about nothing else, go build your own Windows 98-based system and get all the games you want (or go buy a console system). But if you have a Mac, there are a LOT of great games out there, including a lot of the popular Windows games.

Quote:

Shoot, if I wanted a Mac for gaming, I'd get the minimum necessary to play Escape Velocity and Marathon, but, even then, you've got Privateer, Privateer II, Independence War II coming out, Freelancer coming out (instead of EV), and, instead of Marathon, you've got Half Life, System Shock II, Deus Ex....

Man, Marathon was a classic -- graphics have gotten better since then, but the gameplay was YEARS ahead of anything on any platform. Even in terms of good network play and storyline it was ahead of its time. That was a great game.

But back to today
wink.gif
You do know, of course, that UT, Quake, Deus X, SiN, Rune, Diablo II, Myst III, Rogue Spear, Tropico, Fly II, Baldur's Gate and many other similar games are available for Mac? (Actually, some of those have been available for a long time, but they're still some of the most popular games on either platform.) All the mods work, too
wink.gif
Quake 3 Arena was actually developed on the Mac, and the new Doom engine is being co-developed under OS X, as is Warcraft III. Games like Halo will be Mac/PC releases. Other games like ShadowBane, Black&White, Max Payne, Myth III, Stronghold, and lots more are being ported now. Microsoft has pledged to release Mac versions of all their games. There is no dearth of good Mac games. Half-life is the only "must-have" game that isn't being ported (stupid move on their part). But I've heard that a couple of the porting companies are trying to pick it up.

On a similar topic usually brought up, anyone who says that Macs aren't fast enough/whatever to run games hasn't played online against a good Mac player at UT or Quake3
wink.gif

As for games for OS X, don't write that idea off -- the Mac games market is MUCH different now than it was a few years ago. Mac OS X is a great development platform, and Apple has finally realized that some people buy computers to play games
smily_headphones1.gif
. Plus the Mac hardware is great for gaming now, and much easier for vendors to provide tech support for. So while the Mac market may be smaller, the development and support costs are also significantly less. And for those companies that don't want to port in-house, there are a few very talented game porting companies that are porting most of the big Windows games to the Mac.

Sorry, Gluegun, but it sounds like you've been reading too much "Maximum PC" LOL

Quote:

I saw the demo of OS X at the big mac booth at an educational conference, and all I saw was a bunch of flashy stuff that I didn't really care for......

LOL, I think you must have saw the demo for Windows XP... the one that tries to look like OS X but is mainly just flashy stuff that doesn't work right
wink.gif
OS X itself is a pretty amazing OS. As someone who has used and supported Macs, Windows-based PCs, and UNIX systems, I'm really impressed -- it's got the ease of use of the Mac, a few really nice features from Windows, and the power/stability of UNIX. You can compile most UNIX programs for it, it runs older Mac software, and developers are really starting to like it. For my job I do a lot of statistical analysis and OS X has been fast and stable.

Quote:

Oh, and Linus Torvalds, the guy who created Linux said that OS X basically made every mistake possible with trying to take the unix core.....

Actually, what Torvalds said was that he was misquoted and misinterpreted. He said they made the wrong choice when they chose the BSD/Mach microkern. But that's also because he doesn't like microkerns. On the other hand, lots of other UNIX pros feel that BSD/Mach is a great core that provides features others don't.

Aug 2, 2001 at 10:36 PM Post #18 of 26
*comes out of his bunker, in flame retardant gear, and holding an autocannon that looks like it comes out of an Aliens movie*

(Always be prepared! MUAHAHAHAH! AHhh, the smell of combat!!)

Did you read what I said about Half-Life?

Would you believe me when I said that Half-Life and Counterstrike and Firearms, all of the HUNDREDS of other FREE mods for that game are worth it? It is. Just as I wouldn't mind getting an old mac for EV and Marathon. But.....the thing is, instead of there being TWO good games on the mac that haven't come out on the PC, there are DOZENS, even HUNDREDS (especially if you like some of the less popular genres) the other way around....

Anyways, the thing is....

you all HAVE TO WAIT...that's the problem...along with the fact that A LOT of the good games don't get ported, EG, Half-Life. You all are *still* getting the short stick of the pile....and, you're happy about it, and willing to defend your position, which is what irks me most...

And, YES, it WAS OS X... and yes, I put OS X in the same boat with Windows XP, I don't like either....

Aug 2, 2001 at 11:00 PM Post #19 of 26
Quote:

You all are *still* getting the short stick of the pile....and, you're happy about it, and willing to defend your position, which is what irks me most...

Gluegun, I don't think you really read what I wrote:

"But seriously -- if you're a hardcore gamer who cares about nothing else, go build your own Windows 98-based system and get all the games you want (or go buy a console system). But if you have a Mac, there are a LOT of great games out there, including a lot of the popular Windows games."

I made it quite clear that in terms of sheer number of games, and "day-of-release availability," Windows 98 is the clear winner. But I take exception to the asserstions, quite untrue, that the Mac is bad for games, or there are no games available for the Mac, or that no one who plays games should ever get a Mac.

I use my computer for lots of things: statistical number-crunching, graphics, audio, networking, fileserving, web design, writing, web browsing, DVDs, etc., etc. I also use it for games. If I was a hard-core gamer who had to have *every* latest and greatest game the day it was released, I would build another computer from scratch, with JUST the components I needed for good gaming, and install god-awful Win98
wink.gif
In fact, I have Mac-using friends who have done just that. But gaming is not my main reason for owning a computer. So I have the computer that does the most for me, and is the most versatile for me. On *top* of that, I can play a lot of great games, and play them with great performance. And yes, I saw what you wrote about Half-Life. Did you know there are may more addons, mods, conversions, etc. for UT than there are for Half-Life?
wink.gif
Honestly, some people really want Half-Life for Mac, and there are efforts to resume porting, but if Half-Life never comes to the Mac, I won't be heartbroken, because my priorities are elsewhere, and there are plenty of other great games available to keep me occupied
wink.gif

Aug 2, 2001 at 11:20 PM Post #20 of 26
I say - PS2 for games......

Aug 3, 2001 at 12:54 AM Post #21 of 26
Gluegun, you are worrying way too much on frivolous things such as computer games. If you want games, get a console or something... computers are chosen on priorities. I occasionaly play games (in fact the last game I played was a game of Brood Wars with my friends last Saturday) so Macs are the obvious choice.

I also find it strange that you are running (and a lot of people in fact) a version of Windows released two iterations ago and, like many other people like you, not caring for the next versions. I'm running OS 9.1 (latest classic) and am wanting my OS X upgrade (as soon as my Audiophile 24/96 gets drivers in OS X, I'm switching)...

But, as Vertigo said:
Quote:

Different strokes for different folks

Aug 3, 2001 at 2:47 AM Post #22 of 26
Generally pc sound cards sound terrible. From what i gather the USB onkyo would be the best, its actually designed with hifi in mind. However the guy at the booth(MWNY) was a real pain in the you know what. He was not willing to tell me anything except that if i buy now i would be able to save $50. I left. I do not have time for crap like that. He was the only guy at the expo who behaved like that. Anyway, have tried the output from my titanium g4 and its really aweful sound with my hd600's. what i find really funny is that last year apple was demoing the Tibook with HD580's. This year they have some bose crap with them. I dunno mabye steve went deaf? I thought it was really funny tho, this little computer driving the hd580's. YEA RIGHT.

Aug 3, 2001 at 4:16 AM Post #23 of 26
I posted a summary of info on the Onkyo you're talking about in another thread here ("has anyone heard this USB soundcard?").

Quote:

Anyway, have tried the output from my titanium g4 and its really aweful sound with my hd600's.

Of course it will sound awful -- any computer's sound card and/or built-in sound will sound bad with the HD600s. They require too much juice
wink.gif

Quote:

This year they have some bose crap with them. I dunno mabye steve went deaf?

They're in the market to sell to consumers. Most consumers think Bose is good. So they demo using Bose. Sad but logical
frown.gif

Aug 3, 2001 at 5:12 AM Post #24 of 26
yea, you saw the streetstyles they put with those adds of those imacs with all of the sound software? ugh. mac DID have a good style and substance and utilitarian while looking good thing going, but they seem to be overdoing it.

Aug 3, 2001 at 2:47 PM Post #25 of 26
Quote:

Gluegun said...

ugh. mac DID have a good style and substance and utilitarian while looking good thing going, but they seem to be overdoing it.

The best examples of this would be the polka-dot and flower power iMacs... wth were they thinking?!?

Quote:

kenk said...

Generally pc sound cards sound terrible. From what i gather the USB onkyo would be the best, its actually designed with hifi in mind. However the guy at the booth(MWNY) was a real pain in the you know what. He was not willing to tell me anything except that if i buy now i would be able to save $50. I left. I do not have time for crap like that.

It's easy for the salesman to say it was designed w/ hi-fi in mind. However, that does not necessarily mean the product will actually sound good. Besides, he just wanted to make a sell, screw considering other alternatives. And I would agree that older pc soundcards sound bad, but not the new ones like the Hercules GameTheatre. And most definitely not the Audiophile 2496, which was designed w/ hi-fi in mind and does sound quite good.

Quote:

coolvij said...

I say - PS2 for games......

You've GOT to be kidding... time to start another thread...
biggrin.gif

Aug 3, 2001 at 3:00 PM Post #26 of 26
Quote:

The best examples of this would be the polka-dot and flower power iMacs... wth were they thinking?!?

Yeah, thats why they got rid of them. New G4s look pretty aggressive to me, in a good way... it looks like they are saying "We own you" or something, heh, very sleek.

But yeah they are showing some lame audio gear, like those stupid ball speakers and crappy headphones. Funny though, they bash Sony's laptops and then they show their headphones.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back