Sound sig like K701 sans the Painful Strap Of Doom?
Dec 18, 2006 at 8:19 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 24

jjhatfield

Frank
So I owned the K701 for a short time, they were the most uncomfortable things I ever put on my head. They sounded great out of my Echo Indigo DJ and Headfive, and I can only imagine how much better they would sound on my current rig. Unfortunately, the strap system makes the K701 unacceptable to me, so I sold them. Now I'm once again craving that sound. Does AKG (or anyone else for that matter) make a can with a similar neutral, earthy signature sound and massive soundstage, sans the painful strap of doom?

Dec 18, 2006 at 8:21 PM Post #2 of 24
DT880?

Dec 18, 2006 at 8:30 PM Post #3 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by flecom /img/forum/go_quote.gif
DT880?

The DT880 has been on my hit list. I've tried the DT990 '05's and liked them a lot, but sold them to fund a source upgrade. I ordered a pair of DT770/80's ('03) this past weekend to fulfill a different function (bassy hip-hop can). The comfort level of the DT990 was very high for me (I actually regret selling them and see myself repurchasing them in the future), so the DT880's could be the ticket.

Any other comments or suggestions?

Dec 18, 2006 at 9:26 PM Post #6 of 24
Hey again,

Yea, there is nothing quite like the comfort of the Beyers as both you and I know. Although I personally have no comfort issues with the 701s at all.
The 880s were the can, jpelg moved to for their superior freq balance, after introducing the B&H 990s nice deal thread. They have interested me also ever since. They would have my recommendation for you to try next.

Good luck~

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:05 PM Post #8 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by threEchelon /img/forum/go_quote.gif
You could always try the bandanna-around-the-headband mod.

Blue or Red bandanna, most important in L.A.?

or the sheep pile headband mod (yet to be developed).

I'm sure Mckickflip could mod you up a headband zip quick ;-}

Other than the fact jj has moved on from the 701s already and has sold them.

He really has quite the sizeable pumpkin above his sholders apparently
very_evil_smiley.gif
;-}

Also, just because it hasn't been mentioned, the HD-600 might fit the bill.
Duggeh (sp) said recently, the 701 and 600 have a similar sonic signature to his ear. And if you believe your system to be close to neutral or somewhat bright, that would make it in contention with the neutral 880s to consider. The Senns comfort is also a known to you I see.

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:09 PM Post #9 of 24
I found that it stopped being uncomfortable after a couple weeks. That, or I no longer have feeling in my head.
biggrin.gif
Either is possible.
Maybe get some tempur-pedic material for the headband? Actually, I might have to try that for increased comfort. You can get a free sample by calling them.
tongue.gif

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:13 PM Post #10 of 24
Quote:

Originally Posted by Hi-Finthen /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I'm on it.....

Dec 18, 2006 at 10:35 PM Post #11 of 24
I have to agree that it seems like the Beyer DT880 would be for you.

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:02 PM Post #12 of 24
Thanks all for the comments, I'll put the DT880 at the top of my hit list.

And for the record, the problem with the strap was it would not stretch enough for the cans to even fit over my ears comfortably. The bottom of the cup would be pressing up against my earlobe, while the painful strap of doom ground into my head. My head was too "tall" or "long", in other words.

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:04 PM Post #13 of 24
Quote:

Blue or Red bandanna, most important in L.A.?

I'm sure Mckickflip could mod you up a headband zip quick ;-}

Other than the fact jj has moved on from the 701s already and has sold them.

He really has quite the sizeable pumpkin above his sholders apparently
very_evil_smiley.gif
;-}

Duggeh (sp) said recently, the 701 and 600 have a similar sonic signature to his ear. And if you believe your system to be close to neutral or somewhat bright, that would make it in contention with the neutral 880s to consider. The Senns comfort is also a known to you I see.

Please dont say the 600s are like the 701s they are night and day, the 600 have more bass less treble than the 701s stock unmodded and unamped.

Amped, I dont know, but would say the 600s are going to have more bass and a fuller sound no matter how you amp them.

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:09 PM Post #14 of 24
Have you heard the HD595 jjhatfield? I've heard that some earlier 595s weren't as well made as the new ones, but my 595 seems to scale up with my system quite well. I've heard a few head-fiers prefer its SQ to the k701. It's got oval shaped cushions, so you have to make sure the cups are down far enough on your head so that your ear lobes aren't touching them.

My k501s were just recovered today, so I'm trying them on my SLAM now. Initial impressions are that the SLAM has fixed the soundstage problem I was having with them, but they still don't have nearly as much impact as my HD595 (which offer the same tonality).

Dec 18, 2006 at 11:17 PM Post #15 of 24
Quote:

Duggeh (sp) said recently, the 701 and 600 have a similar sonic signature to his ear.

Many other (knowledgeable) folks have said the same thing on this board.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back