Sound Science thread for songs you can't get out of your head
Dec 17, 2022 at 1:44 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 137

Steve999

smooth, DARK
The only requirement for this thread is that you link to a song you can't get out of your head. Except for the other requirement, which is that must you have fun. It's supposed to be cathartic to post the song you can't get out of your head. The song does not have to be good. Many bad songs may get stuck in your head, as well as many good songs. There does not have to be a reason you cannot get it out of your head. It can be any kind of music, just so long as the tune is stuck in your head. There is nothing serious about this thread, except that the song must be seriously stuck in your head. One song per post, no more, no less. Thank you.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 12:32 PM Post #2 of 137
My mind is like flypaper for songs. My brain has a constant infestation of ear worms. I can get a song stuck in my head after hearing it only once. If I know the song, it can get stuck if I only hear the first few notes. Sometimes all that needs to happen is somebody mentions the title of a song. On my worst days, a single word will remind me of a lyric, which will remind me of a song and then there I am, singing the song to myself for the rest of the day.

Last night I was in one of those bored, indecisive moods, and after much hemming and hawing and switching between albums I settled on Pere Ubu's "Pennsylvania." Today I pay the price by having "Sad.txt" running through my head. At least I like this song.

Dec 17, 2022 at 1:30 PM Post #3 of 137
Sorry......but in all seriousness, read an article about how they used AI to construct this song. They basically engineered the song to get stuck in your head

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:23 PM Post #5 of 137
Sorry......but in all seriousness, read an article about how they used AI to construct this song. They basically engineered the song to get stuck in your head

Curiously, that song doesn't get stuck in my head in the same way other (real) songs do. I mean, it does get stuck (I have a toddler, afterall), but not in the I-hear-it-on-constant-repeat-in-my-head sort of way. It gets stuck as in I'll sing little ditties to the melody of "Baby Shark," but not really think about it after that.

EDIT: to adhere to the rules of the thread, here's I song that my brain defaulted to for— oh, I dunno— about two years. Maybe more? I'd get other songs in my head, but if there was nothing else it was always this version of "The Man Who Sold The World."

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #6 of 137
Curiously, that song doesn't get stuck in my head in the same way other (real) songs do. I mean, it does get stuck (I have a toddler, afterall), but not in the I-hear-it-on-constant-repeat-in-my-head sort of way. It gets stuck as in I'll sing little ditties to the melody of "Baby Shark," but not really think about it after that.
I love the Baby Shark song! The Washington Nationals rode it all the way to a World Series Championship in 2019!!
Please remember to always post a new song, one new song, with each post!! :beerchug: That’s the rule!!:L3000:

This is what I wanted to sound like when I was allegedly learning to play guitar. . . .Never quite got there.

Last edited:
Dec 17, 2022 at 2:35 PM Post #7 of 137
Instead of an earworm, here's the background music(goes on for about a minute) of the moments I enter "slave mode". If I'm pushing a car that doesn't start, or doing a tiresome repetitive task, that music is in my head. When I'm carrying the big table extension on my own to fit enough people at the table, I'm hearing it:

As a kid this traumatized me. You won't just die, You'll die and then be a slave for eternity!:scream_cat: That was next level villain for little me(maybe 7 or 8 years old?), and then in the same episode the Olympian dick gods take away the kids and threaten to have them walk endlessly until they die, have Ulysses pick between the kids and basically all his crew and going back to earth, and as if it wasn't evil enough, the freaking choice wasn't a choice at all. Not cool, trident guy!

Anyway, this episode had a serious impact on me. I don't know if it's good or some level of PTSD but it's in my head and has been played by my brain more than any other song.

P.S. Ulysses31= terrible parenting. I wouldn't be surprised if Penelope asked a judge for full custody + a restraining order.

Dec 17, 2022 at 2:47 PM Post #8 of 137
Instead of an earworm, here's the background music(goes on for about a minute) of the moments I enter "slave mode". If I'm pushing a car that doesn't start, or doing a tiresome repetitive task, that music is in my head. When I'm carrying the big table extension on my own to fit enough people at the table, I'm hearing it:
& etc. deleted for space
As a kid this traumatized me. You won't just die, You'll die and then be a slave for eternity!:scream_cat: That was next level villain for little me(maybe 7 or 8 years old?), and then in the same episode the Olympian dick gods take away the kids and threaten to have them walk endlessly until they die, have Ulysses pick between the kids and basically all his crew and going back to earth, and as if it wasn't evil enough, the freaking choice wasn't a choice at all. Not cool, trident guy!

Anyway, this episode had a serious impact on me. I don't know if it's good or some level of PTSD but it's in my head and has been played by my brain more than any other song.

P.S. Ulysses31= terrible parenting. I wouldn't be surprised if Penelope asked a judge for full custody + a restraining order.

You have very serious hard work music & whatever else all of that cartoon is. Whenever I have hard work to do my mind rebels and this tune gets seriously stuck in my head!!

Dec 17, 2022 at 3:02 PM Post #9 of 137
& etc. deleted for space

You have very serious hard work music & whatever else all of that cartoon is. Whenever I have hard work to do my mind rebels and this tune gets seriously stuck in my head!!

There this one with a very subtle hidden message like Sounthpark knows how to do(apparently I can only think cartoon right now).

Dec 22, 2022 at 8:38 PM Post #14 of 137

I didn't know that song or Sam Smith, found it most interesting and went to look for other songs. "wait a minute! I know that song!". Next track: "I have that one in my playlist! What is going on?". So on and so forth, it spans over several years and basically that and another one are the 2 songs I really didn't know.
Turns out Sam Smith might just be the artist I have never heard of that I've listened to the most.:sweat_smile: I blame streaming services.

Thank you for triggering that pure twilight zone moment.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back