Sound Science Corner Pub
May 13, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #632 of 705
What's concerning to outsiders is the hostility on sound science to trolls, which is trolling. Sorry but yes the intent is noble but execution comes off hateful, demeaning, intimidating, and condescending. But heck im just a hippie audio consumer so take or leave it. Id suggest new posters might freshen it up

I’m lost - we’re supposed to be nice to a troll who dives into Nazis, bigotry, personal attacks and religion?

Posters in sound science tend to get firm responses based on their initiation of insults. I’m not in favor of coddling obvious trolls, though I do think most of them are best ignored. Yesterday was an extreme case where not responding would be seen as acceptance of some topics that had zero to do with audio.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #633 of 705

May 13, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #634 of 705
I can’t believe anyone would think that was an anomaly. This forum is dysfunctional and it isn’t because the forum members can’t resist feeding the trolls. I’ve been accused of that in the past and I was no more responsible then than you are now.

May 13, 2024 at 11:04 AM Post #635 of 705
All my posts lost, like tears in rain

:cry:
To quote Ice MC:
Yes, the bad times in life is like a telephone
Yuh never kno when it a go ring
But when it ring
Just pick it up an receive
When you finish put down the receiver and carry on
'Cause the sun will alway a shine

May 13, 2024 at 11:12 AM Post #636 of 705
To quote Ice MC:
Phone.jpg

May 13, 2024 at 11:13 AM Post #637 of 705
I can’t believe anyone would think that was an anomaly. This forum is dysfunctional and it isn’t because the forum members can’t resist feeding the trolls. I’ve been accused of that in the past and I was no more responsible then than you are now.

Without quoting the original post, it’s impossible to tell what you’re responding to.

You really think the thread deleted last night was the run of mill trolling we typically see? Were there previous threads that included nazis, gender bigotry, religion and ethnicity? If so, I must have missed them.

I haven’t made more than 3 posts in any thread that were direct responses to trolling since returning but at the risk of repeating myself, I won’t let the topics the OP of yesterday’s thread stand unchallenged. Not challenging that is tantamount to acceptance.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 12:12 PM Post #638 of 705
1/ Admins(the real ones)almost never interfere with this section.
2/ there is no clear concept of preventive anything. I'm bound by the rules you have all agreed to when you joined Headfi. Not acting on them is half excused by me pretending I didn't see something so long as there is no report, but taking action without a valid breach of the rules, now that would be abuse of power.
3/ I mostly moderate based on reports(like most admins do AFAIK). And the more I am personally implicated in a thread, like with sunjam(I came to very much hate the guy, or at least his role play, as I hardly found any genuine honest thought in his posts), the less I feel that I have a right to act as an admin.

And now,
My people, I have heard you!:smile_cat: I put back sunjam's thread and locked it. It bothers me, but several of you suggested it would have been a better option, and I'm here to please(vote for me). I do wish to keep the USB thread deleted. That one is full of actually forbidden stuff(I went to bed and boom).
Thank you! :thumbsup:That was a good move in my opinion.:relaxed:

May 13, 2024 at 12:19 PM Post #639 of 705
You really think the thread deleted last night was the run of mill trolling we typically see? Were there previous threads that included nazis, gender bigotry, religion and ethnicity? If so, I must have missed them.
I didn't read everything in the thread (I stuggled to keep up with the posts as the thread of very active and read the bare minimum) and reading this I wonder if I even know how bad the thread actually was. If it included the things listed above, I do understand castleofargh's actions much better.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 12:24 PM Post #640 of 705
I didn't read everything in the thread and reading this I wonder if I even know how bad the thread actually was. If it included the things listed above, I do understand castleofargh's actions much better.

It was, by a large margin, the worst poster and thread I’ve ever encountered on Head-Fi. The first 10 posts were fairly normal trolling. After that, the OP lost his mind and posted zero content related to audio. The next 100 were on the topics I listed.

Edit: The OP is now ranting on the Public page of his profile. To paraphrase, Castle and the rest of us are terrible people. He also states that he is a victim despite the reality that he introduced all of the out of bounds content.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 12:27 PM Post #641 of 705
It was, by a large margin, the worst poster and thread I’ve ever encountered on Head-Fi. The first 10 posts were fairly normal trolling. After that, the OP lost his mind and posted zero content related to audio. The next 100 were on the topics I listed.
I stand informed, thanks!

May 13, 2024 at 12:33 PM Post #642 of 705
What's concerning to outsiders is the hostility on sound science to trolls, which is trolling. Sorry but yes the intent is noble but execution comes off hateful, demeaning, intimidating, and condescending.
This is exactly right.

Furthermore, posts about woke nazis or whatever aside, the definition of a "troll" here is by and large anyone who disagrees with the self-anointed few, and the term is particularly thrown around as the response when those self-anointed few say incredibly wrong things and are called out for it.

Last edited:
May 13, 2024 at 1:16 PM Post #644 of 705
You were invited to start a thread. In this thread, you should lurk until you understand its purpose. Don’t square up for a fight.
Yes, and really thanks for that. I wasn't aware when I posted this article in the "Pub" which I initially wanted to -maybe- discuss, that I unknowingly stepped into a "hornet's nest situation" which happened recently. And to your point, it's not what you say, but how you say it. You just treated me, while having no bad intentions at all, from above, and you seem so triggered by recent events that you think I want to fight? No I don't.
You don't know me, I actually have my audio and hearing related science every single work day, that's enough, but I wanted to share and discuss something which I can rarely put on the table at my office.

Hope you and the moderators can find a recipe against trolling.

May 13, 2024 at 1:40 PM Post #645 of 705
Head-Fi has a mechanism for the granting of medals... Could something similar be used for users to report a potential troll or sealion? No ban or posting restriction, but something like a low-bar: “you’ve been tagged as potential troll or sealion… the community is watching you…”

I think that a number of trolls/sealions are just “playing” and stop as soon as they are formally identified.
If they are genuinely innocent, they should know how to change their interactions to get rid of that troll/sealion tag(s)… or risk an escalation into a temporary/permanent ban.
For the rest of us, it would be a warning: engage with caution… this user has one or more troll/sealion tag…

Just a proposal…

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back