Sound Rhyme impression thread
Feb 28, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #2,371 of 2,517
Just tested my new Sound Rhyme SR5 iem and found that included foam eartips elevates sound quality much better compared to included silicone eartips 🤔 with foam tips sound became more organic, with better details and more natural sounding vocals. First when I got them I was a bit dissapointed with the sound quality and was I thinking about selling them, but now with foam tips I like the sound. Is there any other eartips that can increase sound quality of sr5 even more? 🤔

Has anyone tried Divinus Velvet eartips with SR5???
Currently using Divinus Velvet with SR5. The SR5 nozzle is a bit long (for me) so I went with a smaller ear tip size so I could get a deeper fit and seal.

Feb 28, 2024 at 6:10 PM Post #2,372 of 2,517
I was wondering about the guy ordering the DTE900 inside a SR8 shell. Was it you? I also like the SR8 shell a lot more than DTE900. :money_mouth:
I am definitely an SR8 shell enjoyer! Fits me wonderfully and was how this project started in the first place. You can ask Sound Rhyme pretty much anything over on AliExpress and they are both very responsive and open to listening

Feb 29, 2024 at 5:38 PM Post #2,373 of 2,517
Until I get my ears on it, consider me a test subject. Only if I think it's worthy of sharing with others, will I send it to Leonarfd and Erkil to test and give their own opinions on it. Then if they also find it achieves the goal I had in mind, we can tell Sound Rhyme to make it into a fully fledged product.

Having said that, they were confident enough to tell me they would not send me something they didn't think was good and if I have any issues, to send it back and we start over. They also asked me to give it a name, so there's that

I'm sorry, which brand is this from? We know there's more than enough competition out there, but always good to know what the options are 😄
I'm looking forward to some impressions of it :)

The Voltage is the new tribird from Penon, a brand that is quite related to Sound Rhyme by the way.

It should also have 2DD / 4 or 6 BA / 4 EST but I suppose its price will be higher than that of Sound Rhyme.

It will be a very interesting comparison since both brands offer excellent value for money:)

Feb 29, 2024 at 7:21 PM Post #2,374 of 2,517
Agreed. Just like the sonion BC, but they are in fact modified BA. https://www.sonion.com/hearing/bone-conduction-sensors-and-actuators/bone-conduction-vibrator/
And another IEM claims to be ISO two drivers facing each other just causes deconstructive interfere when they are both in phase with each other.

Be part of the solution and call out this misuse of a amazing implementation not the misinformation team.

I just am listening to the Volür and can tell you there is a massive difference.

Mar 2, 2024 at 11:02 AM Post #2,376 of 2,517
Mar 3, 2024 at 9:03 AM Post #2,377 of 2,517
Hi,

I find myself seriously considering the DTE500. However, I'm afraid I will not have the chance of ever demoing it anywhere, so I'm purely reliant on all I've read - mostly here - over the last couple of days. It's still hard for me to pull the trigger for that price, especially since there are only very few reviews out there. The longer I'm in this hobby (and the more expensive stuff gets 😅), the more picky I'm becoming. And I really don't want to have a >400$ set lying around that is either only good with very select genres for me or needs heavy EQ for me to enjoy it.
I'll try to make it short and would be very grateful if one or two of you who own the DTE500 would share their experience.
I'm open to different sound signatures and am currently enjoying a lot the Hisenior T4 (balanced), Penon Fan 2, ISN Neo 3, Aful MagicOne, Galileo, and Juzear 41T. I had a short time with the Yanyin Moonlight and would consider it my favorite IEM so far. I have no issue with colored sound and actually dislike most Harman-tuned IEMs. One of the things I have a hard time dealing with is too much bass. It's cool for some genres to have something like the Neo 5 for instance, but for bass-intense music like electronic / hip hop, even the likes of S12 Pro, Final E4000 or Olina are too much for me.
The other thing - and one that can absolutely kill a set for me - are treble peaks. The sharper the more fatal. The Quintet, for instance, is borderline for me in that regard, starting with audible, but relatively broad peaks somewhere around 8 kHz, followed by a couple more towards upper treble / air. Worst offender I've heard would be the Gumiho, but the Hexa is almost unlistenable for me, too. I know most of these are resonances that can be prevented with foam tips, but I simply cannot stand foam tips 😣. Also, tip rolling resolved this under very rare circumstances for me, but was unsuccessful most of the time.
Now with the DTE500 I'm a little lost, is it bassy or peaky? Or none of those things and smooth and warm-neutral? I pretty much read all of these things somewhere and am unsure what to think.
Sorry, quite the long post. But if you've made it through until here, thank you very much for reading and possibly replying 😉.

Mar 3, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #2,378 of 2,517
Hi,

I find myself seriously considering the DTE500. However, I'm afraid I will not have the chance of ever demoing it anywhere, so I'm purely reliant on all I've read - mostly here - over the last couple of days. It's still hard for me to pull the trigger for that price, especially since there are only very few reviews out there. The longer I'm in this hobby (and the more expensive stuff gets 😅), the more picky I'm becoming. And I really don't want to have a >400$ set lying around that is either only good with very select genres for me or needs heavy EQ for me to enjoy it.
I'll try to make it short and would be very grateful if one or two of you who own the DTE500 would share their experience.
I'm open to different sound signatures and am currently enjoying a lot the Hisenior T4 (balanced), Penon Fan 2, ISN Neo 3, Aful MagicOne, Galileo, and Juzear 41T. I had a short time with the Yanyin Moonlight and would consider it my favorite IEM so far. I have no issue with colored sound and actually dislike most Harman-tuned IEMs. One of the things I have a hard time dealing with is too much bass. It's cool for some genres to have something like the Neo 5 for instance, but for bass-intense music like electronic / hip hop, even the likes of S12 Pro, Final E4000 or Olina are too much for me.
The other thing - and one that can absolutely kill a set for me - are treble peaks. The sharper the more fatal. The Quintet, for instance, is borderline for me in that regard, starting with audible, but relatively broad peaks somewhere around 8 kHz, followed by a couple more towards upper treble / air. Worst offender I've heard would be the Gumiho, but the Hexa is almost unlistenable for me, too. I know most of these are resonances that can be prevented with foam tips, but I simply cannot stand foam tips 😣. Also, tip rolling resolved this under very rare circumstances for me, but was unsuccessful most of the time.
Now with the DTE500 I'm a little lost, is it bassy or peaky? Or none of those things and smooth and warm-neutral? I pretty much read all of these things somewhere and am unsure what to think.
Sorry, quite the long post. But if you've made it through until here, thank you very much for reading and possibly replying 😉.
DTE500 was my upgrade coming from the Quintet. The Quintet had indeed a few treble spikes, especially in the 3-5kHz region which was the worst for me. The DTE500 is as bassy as the Quintet but with less treble spikes. As you might guess it is going to sound warmer. I still was not quite happy because I wanted a very relaxed treble with a high end extension. After tip rolling i settles with the Pentaconn Coreir tips as they give me the nicest treble. The treble was not enough for me so I needed to put some EQ on the 10kHz region. My source is a linux computer with a nos DAC + tube amps and a lot of DSP+PEQ to make the sound better. I used a self made convolution filter to eq it to sound like the campfire andromeda 2020 and then added some extra bass boost and treble boost.

Code:
Preamp: -5.40 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 105.0 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 0.70
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 67.8 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 0.77
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 358.8 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 0.98
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 892.3 Hz Gain -0.7 dB Q 1.60
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1321.0 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 1.89
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1997.3 Hz Gain 2.2 dB Q 4.07
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 3021.5 Hz Gain -5.4 dB Q 2.64
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 5335.4 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 6.00
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 6405.7 Hz Gain 4.7 dB Q 3.93
Filter 10: ON HSC Fc 10000.0 Hz Gain 5.7 dB Q 0.70

An example how I would EQ this set. The last two bands are for the treble. Before you ask: yes, this IEM has enough treble extension for 10-12kHz boost making a difference in sound. Started out from the Quintet this is now what I wanted. This thing is pure magic if I give my tube amps a few hours to warm up first. A good mastered record sounds wonderful with this in ear.

Mar 3, 2024 at 7:38 PM Post #2,379 of 2,517
DTE500 was my upgrade coming from the Quintet. The Quintet had indeed a few treble spikes, especially in the 3-5kHz region which was the worst for me. The DTE500 is as bassy as the Quintet but with less treble spikes. As you might guess it is going to sound warmer. I still was not quite happy because I wanted a very relaxed treble with a high end extension. After tip rolling i settles with the Pentaconn Coreir tips as they give me the nicest treble. The treble was not enough for me so I needed to put some EQ on the 10kHz region. My source is a linux computer with a nos DAC + tube amps and a lot of DSP+PEQ to make the sound better. I used a self made convolution filter to eq it to sound like the campfire andromeda 2020 and then added some extra bass boost and treble boost.

Code:
Preamp: -5.40 dB
Filter 1: ON LSC Fc 105.0 Hz Gain -1.3 dB Q 0.70
Filter 2: ON PK Fc 67.8 Hz Gain 2.0 dB Q 0.77
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 358.8 Hz Gain 1.4 dB Q 0.98
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 892.3 Hz Gain -0.7 dB Q 1.60
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 1321.0 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 1.89
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 1997.3 Hz Gain 2.2 dB Q 4.07
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 3021.5 Hz Gain -5.4 dB Q 2.64
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 5335.4 Hz Gain -2.0 dB Q 6.00
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 6405.7 Hz Gain 4.7 dB Q 3.93
Filter 10: ON HSC Fc 10000.0 Hz Gain 5.7 dB Q 0.70

An example how I would EQ this set. The last two bands are for the treble. Before you ask: yes, this IEM has enough treble extension for 10-12kHz boost making a difference in sound. Started out from the Quintet this is now what I wanted. This thing is pure magic if I give my tube amps a few hours to warm up first. A good mastered record sounds wonderful with this in ear.
Very informative, thanks.
I have SR5 and SR7. Both have quite energetic high mids although SR7 is noticable darker and therefor 2.5 kHz peak is more sparing. I see you also try to reduce this peak in your DTE500 by EQ. At the same time you add midbass and treble. Thus I think DTE500 is brighter with less bass than SR7.

Last edited:
Mar 4, 2024 at 5:14 AM Post #2,381 of 2,517
Thanks a lot for taking the time to reply so thoroughly @ExTubeGamer! The comparison with the Quintet is very relevant for me. The bass quantity is good for me on that one and I guess complemented with more upper treble on the DTE500 could be well balanced. I will keep your EQ settings in mind, although it seems I am more sensitive to the 6+ kHz region than the 2-5, so this might be too much for me. This is also why I'm a little concerned with the measurement you linked. It looks like there is an uncontrolled 8 kHz peak compared to their measurement of e.g. SA6 or Penon 10th, where there is merely a smooth elevation in that area after the sibilance dip. Might be a coupler resonance, might be not. Usually when it's so prominent, it's audible to the point of being bothersome for me. There is one other measurement by MMagTech which looks much more promising in that area.
Anyway, glad you mentioned the SR5, too, as I could have a chance to listen to that one in the near future and get a better idea what to expect from the bass performance (and Sound Rhyme in general).

Mar 6, 2024 at 3:50 AM Post #2,382 of 2,517
I was speaking with Simon Fisk from Plunge Audio who has tried the Sonion BC he said they were a joke and don't do anything.
I love Simon, but he’s wrong. They do. I’ve compared mests with the phantom and can assure you bc isn’t smoke and mirrors. He said they were designed initially to go behind the ear on the bone lateral to the helix of your ear. So he’s dismissed them. Fortunately he doesn’t need them to make awesome iems. But the immersion of bc is something outta this world. And not the bass only implementation of kinera - full range with spatial cues hitting the brain

Mar 6, 2024 at 11:06 AM Post #2,383 of 2,517
I love Simon, but he’s wrong. They do. I’ve compared mests with the phantom and can assure you bc isn’t smoke and mirrors. He said they were designed initially to go behind the ear on the bone lateral to the helix of your ear. So he’s dismissed them. Fortunately he doesn’t need them to make awesome iems. But the immersion of bc is something outta this world. And not the bass only implementation of kinera - full range with spatial cues hitting the brain
Sonion bone conductors are very far from offering a full range of audible frequencies, I don't think it is a very differential technology either, the truth is the one I like the most is Empire Ears which in theory does cover the entire frequency range :)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20240306_170245_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    Screenshot_20240306_170245_Adobe Acrobat.jpg
    761.1 KB · Views: 0
Mar 6, 2024 at 12:49 PM Post #2,384 of 2,517
Sonion bone conductors are very far from offering a full range of audible frequencies, I don't think it is a very differential technology either, the truth is the one I like the most is Empire Ears which in theory does cover the entire frequency range :)
I hear you man and I’ve read the spec sheet. However I don’t much confidence in them as they’re still researching how we ‘hear’ through conduction. So to dismiss a technology science doesn’t fully understand while I’m literally telling you my experience is your prerogative but also not very enlightened. I like empire ears, but the unique melody implementation I find superior. Also empire ears recently adopted the sonion bc for the new A&K collaboration. Seems an odd move if they found their own superior. Just my thoughts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back