Sound Rhyme impression thread
Mar 31, 2023 at 5:58 AM Post #392 of 2,519
Didn't find any troubles with mids in SR5, might be mod was unnecessary from the start or there is some significant difference between batches of the SR5, I got mine from taobao. And articulated mids are necessary for any guitar centric genres, because most of the sound of the guitars based in mids. So, for metal genres recessed mids leads to simplification of the sounding. I've played guitars in bands for some time long time ago, and my uncle were guitar player (mostly acoustic ones) and was sound engineer for long time. So I have a little understanding of how guitars should sounds

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:47 AM Post #394 of 2,519
You mean it is actually better than the DTE500
??
Nah, that means I was expecting a downgrade in sound by huge margin, which didn’t happen, Upper registers of DTE500 has TOTL value, so I was expecting losing that part may impact to the sound presentations by huge.

SR5 played fairly well even without EIVEC powered EST that amazed me.

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:50 AM Post #395 of 2,519
JDS Labs Atom amplifier in high gain mode really works well with the SR5. Should I try adding a tube pre amp?
Tube amp sound a good idea. SR5 signature matches well for tubes for sure 👍

Mar 31, 2023 at 9:57 AM Post #397 of 2,519
Didn't find any troubles with mids in SR5, might be mod was unnecessary from the start or there is some significant difference between batches of the SR5, I got mine from taobao. And articulated mids are necessary for any guitar centric genres, because most of the sound of the guitars based in mids. So, for metal genres recessed mids leads to simplification of the sounding. I've played guitars in bands for some time long time ago, and my uncle were guitar player (mostly acoustic ones) and was sound engineer for long time. So I have a little understanding of how guitars should sounds
Yea it’s individual’s preference I guess.

This mid is what makes SR5 unique and by removing it it will be another generic harman with slightly detail and bass focused ones.

After over flooding of harman and recently trending less pinna gain harman variants, market is now back to normal of seeking their own tuning, of which I see a raise in early pinna, the traditional qdc style, from See Audio Bravery, Gaea, Aur Audio Aure & Neon Pro etc. SR5 is not exactly qdc style but it has great mid-focus coloration.

Objectivist may find it north of their linking as SR5 is not uncolored one, which I’ve been saying from the beginning, don’t expect an uncolored one.

Mar 31, 2023 at 2:07 PM Post #399 of 2,519
So they’ve arrived! Not had a chance to listen yet, but I’ve given them a good looking over. I’ve noticed that one of the filters looks like it’s taken a hit right in the centre, or has been pushed in too far as it looks bent. Will this affect the sound? Below is the left which is fine.
IMG_1204.jpeg

Here’s the right one, which looks bent or dented:
IMG_1206.jpeg

Thoughts?

Mar 31, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #400 of 2,519
I was about to sell my tube amp. In fact you can find my tube amp here on the head-fi classifieds. I decided to give it another chanche as a pre-amp for my Atom amp. The results? Shockingly good! The MT-602 improves the sound a lot, especially if you put a new linear power supply on it.

The looks are very fitting. The MT-602 fits right on my Atom amp. Looks really nice. I would say the heat output is kind of ok. Temps should stay under 40 degrees celsius at all times.

Since my setup is optimal right now I gave my TSMR Sands another try. I would say the clarity, imaging are better and the resolution only slightly better. The SR5 sounds still better and the treble is much nicer. Have I mentioned that the pre-amp has improved seperation a lot?

Mar 31, 2023 at 7:21 PM Post #401 of 2,519
So they’ve arrived! Not had a chance to listen yet, but I’ve given them a good looking over. I’ve noticed that one of the filters looks like it’s taken a hit right in the centre, or has been pushed in too far as it looks bent. Will this affect the sound? Below is the left which is fine.

Thoughts?
Mines have the same issue. It could be the quality assurance isnt up to par but doesnt affect sound at all at least to mines. Its from an unknown brand that is fairly cheap. It may have QC issues which should be unacceptable but ill give them a pass since it sounds so gooood.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 7:40 PM Post #402 of 2,519

Thoughts?
Those filters can be easily replaced by a clip 🧷, Just shoot an email to Penon with the picture, they shall ship the replacement filters soon.

From visual inspection that level of bent shouldn’t alter the sound signature, unless the seal of the rims are broken.

Moondrop products generally comes with a set of replacement filters, and shenzhen audio sells those.
https://shenzhenaudio.com/products/...ssories-for-spaceship-kxxs-starfield-earphone
I generally replace those filters when felt the sound is too congested.

Last edited:
Mar 31, 2023 at 11:24 PM Post #403 of 2,519
SR5 cable impressions:
NiceHCK MixPP: Make note thinner, couple db of 7khz+ boost, nice feeling of sparkle
3A3959D7-BC78-435D-888E-B5CEC0B83D51.jpeg

KBEAR Hazy: Very nice and neutral, open up air for 10khz+ which matches to SR5 very well. It reduces bass in an exchange so if anyone feel bass is excessive to their liking Hazy is your choice.
1A582B65-8D87-4385-9F61-BC9E8C291B0C.jpeg

NiceHCK RedAg: Increase transparency, I see a increase in perceived resolution, it also brings vocal forward, so I feel there are 1-3khz emphasis as well. The tonal balance is not too far from KBEar Hazy, it also boost 10khz+ and bass more than Hazy, so if you don’t like bass Hazy, if you like some bass, RedAg.
E34F748F-57F6-41A7-8380-484CCB948392.jpeg

KBEAR Limpid Pro: Upper mid focused neutral tuning with slight treble boost. 6khz also gets some boost, if you are sibilance sensitive, try to avoid.

444F7A8D-368D-4446-AA34-11C66B206F63.jpeg
NiceHCK BlackSoul: Make note thicker, mainly mid range boost, and slight mid-bass boost too, the treble remains natural yet inoffensive, sub-bass get tamed.
820B829B-D024-4E53-B0CA-2E39C1384AA5.jpeg

NiceHCK DragonScale: Natural and neutral across all band, a hint of slight warmth and increase gain levels for all frequencies. Basically upgraded version of KBEAR Hazy.
39D54751-0A64-419B-9CF8-5EAE6185990C.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back