Sound quality: itouch or classic?
Jun 16, 2010 at 9:40 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 12

BigDave

100+ Head-Fier
Hi guys, my click wheel ipod died due to storm damage and will need to be replaced as it was my player that I used on my VAF Octavio, Logitech purefi anywhere and general headphone listening.  While I am not particularly partial to ipods, they look and work best with my ipod speakers.  Just wondering what is the best one for sound quality at the moment?  Did a search already but the threads were pretty old.  Looking at the new classic or the 32gb Itouch. I know that when connected to the ipod speakers it will virtually be from the lineout, but there may still be a difference in SQ.  

Depending on how good it is from the headphone out, I may use it for listening from my re0's, superfi 5 pro's, grado's, es7's, etc.

much appreciated,

BigDave

Jun 19, 2010 at 7:29 PM Post #4 of 12
well, not too many people with opinions on this subject.  Have read from reviews that both are a lot better sound quality wise than previous incarnations, but not many people comparing both.  Would tend towards the itouch for its extra features (not NEEDING 160gb of storage but it would be nice.  pity it comes at a price too, having a hdd rather than solid state memory).  However if the classic has noticeable better sound quality then would probably go for that.

Jun 19, 2010 at 8:19 PM Post #5 of 12
I wouldn't say there is that much of a sound difference. if you need wi-fi and all those extras, go for a touch; if storage, classic :) 
I had an iPod touch 2nd and now I have an iPhone 3GS, which many say is similar to the new classic and there is not much difference. The touch is a little bit warmer and bassier while the iPhone has a slight bass roll-off and is brighter and a little cleaner. However, on  the go, I did not feel the difference as I have to keep an eye on the road as well.  

Jul 29, 2010 at 2:16 AM Post #9 of 12
To me the latest gen 160GB sounds better though the line out than the 5th gen 60GB. I have a 5.5 Gen 80GB too but haven't checked it yet. 

As well the 2nd Gen Touch HP output sounds better to me than the latest gen classic. The classic's headphone out seems a bit less detailed than the touch. 

Jul 29, 2010 at 8:53 PM Post #10 of 12
new ipods will be coming out in September, supposed to be major upgrade to the touch.  i'd wait and see.

Jul 29, 2010 at 11:52 PM Post #11 of 12
really?  I have not heard of a new touch coming out anytime soon.  where did you get your info?

Jul 30, 2010 at 12:34 AM Post #12 of 12
Info is from history. iPod line is always refreshed in September every year. I'm anxiously waiting on my iTouch purchase for 4G to come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back